Approved Central Westerlands megabuild (Tarbeck Hall, Sarsfield, Oxcross, Hornvale) by lemonbear

WalrusBehindYou

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
I left you some melon feedback!
Hey Lem, I fixed most of the issues, most importantly the pasture fields. I decided to ditch the path up into the mountains as it didn't really make sense. The awkward space at the back I filled with another field, Idk if that fits but let me know what you think. If not a field I was thinking an orchard of some kind.

Reactions: lemonbear

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hi Walrus, the changes look pretty good! I'm fine with the field in the back, but an orchard would also work nicely, in my opinion. If you go that route, you could do stone fruits (peaches, plums, or apricots) or apples/pears.

Augurex

Poet
Application for hvham1.

The primary industry of the hamlet revolves around the vineyard across the river. Since most of the primary occupations associated with wine-making are probably already taken up by the hamlet's neighbors to the south, they've developed supplemental occupations. As wine in the medieval time period usually tasted horrid, the hamlet's little industry focuses on making the whole imbibing experience more pleasant. To that end, there are olive farmers that make olive oil to lay on top of the wine, preserving the vintage so that it tastes better longer. There is also a beekeeper collecting honey to mull the wine.

I propose a small olive orchard be added just north of the hamlet, nestled against the hillside. I've marked it with a star of special-blocks on the attached overview. Proposed plots are viewable at /warp augurex.

Six houses

Olive farmer (x3)
Beekeeper
Baker
Hog farmer (always extremely drunk)

It was a pleasure. If you pass, lemonbear, please do give feedback, still.

Attachments

• 2023-04-09_21.06.14.png
    2023-04-09_21.06.14.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hi Augurex and Deiniol,

Thanks for your interest in the hamlet! I have some notes for both of you:

Augurex - I made a decision early on that there would be no olives in my project because the Westerlands aren't the right type of climate. As such, this plan won't work. Additionally, I need something a bit more interesting than just 6 houses in a line with an orchard.

Deiniol - The fields need to be plotted with better consideration of space, and they don't have to feel so cramped (but you can figure out the fields on the map if yours gets approved). Also, don't be so wedded to 9-block-wide houses. If you're primarily going to have lowerclass/1 story houses, you can have variations in width and length so that there's still a bit of height variation. Also, don't use grain silos. You can convert that one house with a super small yard into a granary or figure out something else to do.

Reactions: Augurex

Augurex

Poet
Olives and such a large chunk of the temperate Westerlands are not mutually exclusive. For example, northern Italy grows olives, incl. the Apennines, and that’s shaded green on your biome map. The Westerlands under your purview are also highly rocky and mountainous, terrain much more forgiving to olive trees than other crop plants.

This leaves the Reach and Dorne for olive growth. Sure, olives can also grow in the much less mountainy land of the Reach with no problem. But it seems like a missed opportunity to demonstrate the pairing of olive and mountain. So, that just leaves, what, the northern coast of Dorne? Which is, *checks notes*, done.

Have you really made the decision that throughout the entirety of this massive chunk of the temperate, northern-Italy-inspired Westerlands that no one’s growing an olive?

Also, my app included a beekeeper, not just an olive orchard, which I feel compelled to point out since you mentioned you wanted “something a bit more interesting than just 6 houses in a line with an orchard.” Your notes above the hamlet location indicated 6-7 houses and the allowance that the roads could be changed. I didn’t think there would be an ellipse-shaped road in that area, so I eliminated it.

I apologize in advance if this all seems argumentative, but I’m going to fight it out for this one. Please, give it another look, another think, and get back to me with at least just a slightly less curt dismissal. I’ve been on this server building for four years, and yet… not one mini. I’m looking for an opportunity to learn here, but I need something hands-on. Yet after how many regular builds, and several mini apps that never even got feedback from project leads until yours tonight, there’s a danger that I just get bored and go on another hiatus. That’s not intended to be a threat, because of course nobody’ll miss me, but a simple statement of fact.

I need a challenge.

Looking forward to your kind feedback. If you need a source on the olives in northern Italy, I will happily provide one.

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Olives and such a large chunk of the temperate Westerlands are not mutually exclusive. For example, northern Italy grows olives, incl. the Apennines, and that’s shaded green on your biome map. The Westerlands under your purview are also highly rocky and mountainous, terrain much more forgiving to olive trees than other crop plants.

This leaves the Reach and Dorne for olive growth. Sure, olives can also grow in the much less mountainy land of the Reach with no problem. But it seems like a missed opportunity to demonstrate the pairing of olive and mountain. So, that just leaves, what, the northern coast of Dorne? Which is, *checks notes*, done.

Have you really made the decision that throughout the entirety of this massive chunk of the temperate, northern-Italy-inspired Westerlands that no one’s growing an olive?

Also, my app included a beekeeper, not just an olive orchard, which I feel compelled to point out since you mentioned you wanted “something a bit more interesting than just 6 houses in a line with an orchard.” Your notes above the hamlet location indicated 6-7 houses and the allowance that the roads could be changed. I didn’t think there would be an ellipse-shaped road in that area, so I eliminated it.

I apologize in advance if this all seems argumentative, but I’m going to fight it out for this one. Please, give it another look, another think, and get back to me with at least just a slightly less curt dismissal. I’ve been on this server building for four years, and yet… not one mini. I’m looking for an opportunity to learn here, but I need something hands-on. Yet after how many regular builds, and several mini apps that never even got feedback from project leads until yours tonight, there’s a danger that I just get bored and go on another hiatus. That’s not intended to be a threat, because of course nobody’ll miss me, but a simple statement of fact.

I need a challenge.

Looking forward to your kind feedback. If you need a source on the olives in northern Italy, I will happily provide one.
Ultimately, it's my project, and I've decided no olives. I don't need evidence that it exists in northern Italy. I know olive oil production exists there, but I just don't want it in my project/the Westerlands. I have no control over what other people have done in the Westerlands before me, but it is my position that the Westerlands doesn't produce olive products — it imports them.

In general, my biggest critique about "six houses in a line with an orchard" was not a lack of non-olive-related houses, but the plotting. What kind of hierarchy does the hamlet have? What kind of ecosystem? Using the vineyard on the other side of the river as an example: the vineyard has a main house with a number of auxiliary buildings that aren't residential (and aren't all right against the road), in addition to several surrounding houses with workers that support the function of the vineyard.

Rather than olives, you could expand on the beekeeper. You could put a whole apiary on that side of the river if you want. Goodness knows there's enough flowering plants in the valley (flax farm, vineyard, orchards, etc.) to warrant that. I have an example of an apiary at /warp oxcross, and Marg has a good one at /warp wgapiary. You could alternatively just have a more standard farming hamlet with veggies/grain and animals, or even come up with a different idea.

Augurex

Poet
Ok, no olives, then.

So, ironically, when I first set about trying to plot the hamlet, I wanted to centralize the beekeeping and put the beehives right there in the ellipse, with the houses around it. However, I decided pretty quickly that would be too, I don’t know what the right word would be, cute, maybe? Maybe I should’ve stuck to that idea. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with it. If I plot out a hamlet with the beehives in the ellipse, would you be opposed?

I’m thinking I’d go with a mix of apiary and grain, keeping the baker. I couldn’t find a baker in the nearby settlements.

Deiniol

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Hi Augurex and Deiniol,

Thanks for your interest in the hamlet! I have some notes for both of you:

Augurex - I made a decision early on that there would be no olives in my project because the Westerlands aren't the right type of climate. As such, this plan won't work. Additionally, I need something a bit more interesting than just 6 houses in a line with an orchard.

Deiniol - The fields need to be plotted with better consideration of space, and they don't have to feel so cramped (but you can figure out the fields on the map if yours gets approved). Also, don't be so wedded to 9-block-wide houses. If you're primarily going to have lowerclass/1 story houses, you can have variations in width and length so that there's still a bit of height variation. Also, don't use grain silos. You can convert that one house with a super small yard into a granary or figure out something else to do.
Thanks lemonbear and AerioOndos for the feedback. Atm I'm a bit busy irl with writing my masters dissertation, so I'll apply it when I next get on with a chunk of time to actually build.

Reactions: lemonbear

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Ok, no olives, then.

So, ironically, when I first set about trying to plot the hamlet, I wanted to centralize the beekeeping and put the beehives right there in the ellipse, with the houses around it. However, I decided pretty quickly that would be too, I don’t know what the right word would be, cute, maybe? Maybe I should’ve stuck to that idea. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with it. If I plot out a hamlet with the beehives in the ellipse, would you be opposed?

I’m thinking I’d go with a mix of apiary and grain, keeping the baker. I couldn’t find a baker in the nearby settlements.
If you do that, I'd just be mindful of how close to houses the bees are being kept and make thorough plan for apiary infrastructure.