Approved Central Westerlands megabuild (Tarbeck Hall, Sarsfield, Oxcross, Hornvale) by lemonbear

Uthormadman424

Poet
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Lem!

I am applying for the Hornvale Farm 5 Mini! Below is a general map/layout of the farm along with a few screenshots of the finished buildings I have so far. I have yet to finish all of the interiors but the layout is set and all of the exteriors are finished. The test is on my warp /warputhor test

Let me know what you think! Thank you!

Map Key:
A: Cheese Production Building
B: Butchery Building
C: Main house
D: Worker Residences
E (building because I don't know the alphabet I guess lol): Animal Barn
E (other two): Cheese Caves, haven't decided on which one I like more, will build once pasted in, may do both [inspo will be the cellar for the cidery I did, and the wine cellar near Hornvale Hamlet 1]
F: Grain and food storage

Attachments

• hornvale farm map.jpg
    hornvale farm map.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 43
  • cheese building.jpg
    cheese building.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • cheese production.jpg
    cheese production.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • residence.jpg
    residence.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • grain farm.jpg
    grain farm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Lem!

I am applying for the Hornvale Farm 5 Mini! Below is a general map/layout of the farm along with a few screenshots of the finished buildings I have so far. I have yet to finish all of the interiors but the layout is set and all of the exteriors are finished. The test is on my warp /warputhor test

Let me know what you think! Thank you!

Map Key:
A: Cheese Production Building
B: Butchery Building
C: Main house
D: Worker Residences
E (building because I don't know the alphabet I guess lol): Animal Barn
E (other two): Cheese Caves, haven't decided on which one I like more, will build once pasted in, may do both [inspo will be the cellar for the cidery I did, and the wine cellar near Hornvale Hamlet 1]
F: Grain and food storage
Hi Uthor,

Overall, I like it! One thing, though: I think the size proportions of the butchery and cheese buildings to the cow barn are wrong. The butchery currently looks too big (i.e., has too much butchered meat) for the number of cows that could fit in the current barn. An easy fix would be to increase the size of the barn, and I think the cheese building could stand to be a tiny bit smaller, as well.

Two other things: where's the water source? The farm should have its own well. And, I think you can combine the two worker residences on the left into one larger building with a thatch roof.

Reactions: Uthormadman424

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Adding on to this, the cheese making area would be far far larger than the butchery. Mostly because it would be in use much more often than the butchery. Cheese making requires substantial storage, good idea with the cheese cave. However, it looks like a very forced, artificial opening thats in a v strange place for a cave to form (the spur of the cliffside, which would be harder rock. Work with Lemon to create a satisfying cave though this might need to be a little bit further away from the farm itself. It'll be fun to plot out, just remember to try and keep it looking like a real cave rather than the ant-hills and worm tunnels of vanilla minecraft.

Anyway, the main bit of my knowledge is about the butchery/ing.
Beef, when unrefrigerated, only holds for a few hours without proper treatment. You've got approximately 48 with a cool, stable environment (talking about 5 degrees) but in the summer/v early autumn weather of the server's time, meat cut at dawn would be spoilt by evening if not kept cool somehow. So unless you're supplying a feast on the regular, you don't need a large workshed.
Honestly, I'd suggest building an underground room with the well to be like the Burghead well in Moray, Scotland that was built by the Picts. The underground chamber has a ramp leading down into it and you could expand on the Burghead inspiration by adding niches, sconces or other areas to hang carcasses in to keep them cool. Plus cheese and vegetables too, of course. Water source and refrigeration in one go. boom!
When it comes to carving the meat, an animal is going to yield you about 250kg of sellable meat from 500kg of body, possibly less. The rest of the mass goes towards soups, glue, hides, food for dogs, fertiliser and even tools (bone sewing and knitting needles are a cheap alternative to iron). The space you need to carve cattle is a pretty big carving table or bench (2x3) but besides that only 3m of hanging space for a carcass to drain after slaughtering/before carving. When making the carcass hook, remember to make it incredibly strong because of the weights mentioned above.

My recommendation is that your butchery only needs to be about 5x4-5 interior space. Could be a little larger for more utility, better ventilation and ease of movement through the work station but because generally only one large animal is being slaughtered and butchered at a time, slaughtering you don't need a huge space set up.
What you do need is storage, preservation options like salt and smoke, drainage for the work space (really important or you'll get botflies and other nasties that'll hurt people and animals, not just ruin meat). thatch and sand are good for soaking up blood too but don't go too overboard.

Last edited:

Uthormadman424

Poet
Pronouns
he/him
Thank you both for the feedback, I appreciate it! I have done a bit of research as well regarding a cave, and it appears that both are possible (either a cave or a cellar/basement), both of which provide a level of insulation. I flew around looking for some locations for a proper cave and am now leaning in the direction of the cellar instead, so ill begin testing on that when I get on. I also love the idea of the Burghead cave! I watched some videos about it and think its a great idea so I will begin working on that as well.

Thank you Aeks for your Butchery info. I will post an update once I can get on and test a bit!

Last edited:

Uthormadman424

Poet
Pronouns
he/him
Hey I made some updates!

Here are some updated pics of the new well and meat storage, the updated butchery building, updated cheese building and cellar, and overall view. Let me know what you think!

-Uthor

Attachments

• well.jpg
    well.jpg
    654.6 KB · Views: 22
  • well 2.jpg
    well 2.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 21
  • butcher.jpg
    butcher.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • cheese cellar.jpg
    cheese cellar.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 19
  • cheese building.jpg
    cheese building.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • farm.jpg
    farm.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 20
Reactions: Azulejo

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Looks much better to me! Consider it approved.

Just 2 small things you can fix in situ once you get another mod approval:
  • The animal barn should be extended further into the pasture to make room for a few more cows. For an operation this size, you'd probably need at least 2 birthing cows for milk production and 1 bull for breeding.
  • The water level in the well should be lower. At the moment, it sits much higher than the water level of the lake. (Also, it might just be my modern sensibilities, but it doesn't seem all that safe health-wise to have the fresh water supply right next to raw/cured meat storage. But then again, it's not like they have germ theory in Westeros.)

Aferys

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
I've added some new open plots at /warp hvfarm3! All are free to build except for the main residence building, which I'd like a facade test for.

And just a reminder of current available minis:

/warp sflogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. The camp is located right at the edge of a pretty big forest, and they sell wood and logs in the nearby communities and to the septry.

/warp sfseptry - A septry built by the Tarbecks during their prime. This one is in much better repair than the septry on the border with Drox because Sarsfield aided the Lannisters against the revolt. Primarily houses septons, but there are a few septas (including silent sisters for tending the dead). The septry has a large garden with medicinal herbs and functions as a hospital. The last mini left at Sarsfield!

/warp hvlogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. They practice selective logging and supply lumber throughout Hornvale lands. The camp should have permanent (or at least long term) structures/buildings rather than tents.

/warp hvfarm1 - A farm complex that produces a lot of agriculture. Primarily wheat, barley, and oats, but they also have other smaller crops.

/warp hvfarm2 - A flax farm with a nearby farming hamlet. You have the freedom to plan that entire side of the river bend if you want. Good for builders looking for experience with plotting and builder feedback!

/warp hvfarm5 - A farm complex that raises cattle for dairy, meat, etc. They sell leather to the tannery at the easternmost part of the valley.

/warp hvmine - A gold mine.

/warp hvquarry - A limestone quarry. Include work buildings.
Hey Lemn, Im testing for the septry of Sarsfield! I hope do my best

Aferys

Messenger
Pronouns
he/him
Finally had a chance to check out the test, and I really like it! Everything seems very well considered, and you made good use of space.

In other words, I approve! Now you just need another mod's approval before building.
Thank you so much, Lem! I hope do my best

Reactions: Finn01

BlueJackdaw

Messenger
Pronouns
she/her
Hi guys, I've done a test for /hvfarm1 at /warp ultimateblue. It's a small farmhouse, with a barn with a grain loft, threshing barn, a workshop where they make apricot jam, and a small stables. They primarily grow wheat, but have a small kitchen garden and hen house for the farm, as well as an apricot orchard and a smaller variety of other crops. I've done ints for the threshing barn and the jam workshop.

Would really appreciate any feedback :)

hvfarm3.png

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hi guys, I've done a test for /hvfarm1 at /warp ultimateblue. It's a small farmhouse, with a barn with a grain loft, threshing barn, a workshop where they make apricot jam, and a small stables. They primarily grow wheat, but have a small kitchen garden and hen house for the farm, as well as an apricot orchard and a smaller variety of other crops. I've done ints for the threshing barn and the jam workshop.

Would really appreciate any feedback :)

View attachment 18957
I'm a big fan of this! My biggest note is that you should readjust the proportions of the crops so that there's even more wheat. Maybe add the top right section to the wheat area and put the other 5 crops in the remaining area to the bottom right?

Reactions: Finn01