Approved Project Application: Antlers

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
@Howy , unless I’m mistaken people don’t have to post appeals for orphaned build pickups (at least that’s the precedent we’ve done). The rules don’t make it clear when people need to post justifications though, I should probably add that in.

Reactions: starcat98 and Howy

starcat98

Herald
I did read the new Official Redo Rules in full, and I was under the assumption that even though it was my own build in the past, being an orphaned build still qualified it for a redo. Antlers was never really finished to what I wanted it to be, and in my opinion, it is out of server standards at this point. If it is complete enough to be deemed a finished project, and ineligible for a redo, please let me know, and maybe I can revisit it at a later date when all or most of the non-completed projects are done! Again, thanks for your time.

Reactions: DutchGuard

starcat98

Herald
I apologize if this is too soon for a bump, but I'd just like to know if the app is allowed to continue or if I should focus my attention elsewhere? Thank you! :)

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
You’re good to go with the app! I’d check it out but I’m on vacation right now, hopefully someone else can get to it first.

Reactions: starcat98

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Starcat, this looks like a really good application. I like all the plans you have, and since it's a fairly old project now it would be great if we can try and salvage/update as much as possible. Happy to approve.

Reactions: starcat98

starcat98

Herald
Just as an update as well as a bump, I edited the castle palette was well as the design a little bit. I did this to (hopefully) better reflect the Crownlands style. Hope you all like them :).

Oxhvb9L.png

k3PcpMF.png

Reactions: Augurex

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Star, you have my approval. Let's get this thing done this time!

As I talked about with you in-game, I think you should hold off on the house-dense areas for now so we can work on the style a bit more. Also, have you contacted Dragons about the Mallery terraforming you were unsure about?

starcat98

Herald
Just as a quick progress update and because I'd just like to have this written down somewhere and get some opinions on it; I've made some slight changes to the castle layout. Given its location in the northern Crownlands, I envision Antlers as a much more defensive and "rugged," if you will, castle than its southern counterparts. Rosby and Stokeworth are wealthier houses and are in closer proximity to King's Landing, which lends to their more ornate styling and general more "cushy" feeling inside the keeps (not to take away from the fact that they are in fact still defensive structures). I feel Antlers should be a more "utilitarian" feeling castle, and have less of a focus on ornateness. I feel that its close proximity to the border with the Riverlands, as well as nearby Crackclaw Point, are reasons as to why it should have this feel.

Now to the actual updates; I've decided to axe the guest quarters as I feel they don't fit the nature of the build as I've described above. I've also decided to remove the brewery in favor of allowing space for gardens and more storage areas for food and other supplies. Here is the layout as it stands now:

63NCir4.png

Opinions are very welcome, and I would love to hear them!

starcat98

Herald
Another update! I wasn't quite happy with the layout I had in place for the castle, so I pretty much started from scratch and came up with a new design.

suXYQ3D.png

After looking at a lot of actual English castles, I decided that I would prefer to go with a more realistic layout. This new design features a much more open courtyard/ward with no inner walls, and the buildings instead being built along the outer wall of the castle. This new layout was heavily influenced by one of my primary inspirations: Dover Castle. Hopefully these large changes are okay and don't require new approvals or something of that sort. I do believe I am much happier with this new layout. Opinions are very welcome! :)

starcat98

Herald
Not too much to report, as I haven't made much (if any progress) over this summer. Life gets in the way, as things go, and I haven't been able to be as active recently. Felt a little burnt out for a while as well, as I was rather stuck on the terra and in a sort of creative rut. The river terra is practically done, now it's just a matter of ironing out the surrounding lands. I am still 100% interested in finishing the project, and hopefully in the coming days/weeks I will be able to be more active with Fall/Winter fast approaching.

starcat98

Herald
A new update! I can officially say that the landscape terra around Antlers is complete. Please feel free to check it out and give any feedback that anyone may have. The goal was to keep it relatively flat, with some gentle slopes, as well as just a few larger hills. At this point, all that is left on the terra front is replacing all the wool and handling the forests. That leads me to a bit of a predicament. Antlers is surrounded by three different forests that all have relatively different trees and ground covering. I'd like to keep my forests consistent with the surrounding projects, but am unsure about how I should do this. In the picture below, the light brown wool roughly corresponds with my forest placement. In the western part of the lands there will be a small wood mainly for hunting, while in the eastern part of the lands, there is a continuation of forests already present from other projects. This is the primary conflict area. Should I make a mix to combine the forests? Or should I favor one of the more up to date forests? As mentioned before, all feedback is welcome!Forest Plans.jpg

starcat98

Herald
Yayyyyyy another update two years later!

Jokes aside, as I near closer to finally opening the town up for building, I'd just like to point out that there are three special builds that if anyone is interested in, they can feel free to check out and start testing. The builds are an inn, a sept & graveyard, and a market.

As for a more general update; I'm chugging away at plotting and planning and nearing ever closer to finally completing this project. I may have some minis available in the near future for those interested, which would be a hamlet or two and a country house (not sure what exactly classifies as mini, but I figured these would). My main roadblock now is the copious amounts of WorldEditing that needs done. I'm working on establishing a good ground and plant mix at the moment, as well as the best way to go about replacing the placeholder terrain with said mixes. I also have a few forests to do and need to replace the river's placeholder terrain. If anyone has any tip, tricks, or pointers on how to best accomplish these things, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here's to another two years ! (kidding... hopefully)

starcat98

Herald

Happy to say that Antlers is finally open for building! Please read all the signs at the warp and feel free to ask me if you have any questions! Any plot with all the appropriate markers outlined in the warp platform is open for building.

In addition to plots being open, I have a whopping 7 minis open to anyone interested. As mentioned previously, I'm not quite sure what exactly qualifies as a "mini" (i.e. is a specialized farmstead too small to be classified as such?), but regardless, the builds are open for testing and application for those interested. I have two hamlets, a small septry, a brickworks, a country manor, a dairy farmstead, and an abandoned/overgrown forest hamlet.