Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Going to bring this up again now that I've made headway on fixing the leaf blocks:

It's looking less likely that I'll be able to make spruce leaf blocks snowy just by using some CTM, since the criss-cross models are now added using the basic block models, as opposed to an actual mod. This means that there's not any if/then logic which allows us to use different criss-cross textures depending on biome. The only thing we can do is apply biome shaders dependent on biome, but these are applied multiplicatively, so it's impossible to achieve a lighter color through that method (and it's also homogeneous, which isn't ideal). We can probably use CTM to replace all the textures, including the criss-cross ones, with some snowy texture, and if that works, great. However, it seems like the best results would be achieved by having different textures for the main leaf block and any additional planes that are added on top of that.

So, the other option is to specifically introduce a new "snowy spruce leaves" block, which just has a static model and does not depend on biome at all (not even for shading, so minor variations in the green color would not be captured, which shouldn't be an issue if it's just used in Taiga). This approach would be preferrable at least in terms of "object orientedness" (generally, we've recently tried to shy away from hacking in different textures exploiting biome/metadata).

However, it would not be trivial at all to actually fix the North with these textures. We'd have to replace all existing spruce blocks above the snow line with the new block. Maybe FAWE allows us to do this with some massive selections without crashing the server, but I'm not sure. It's a lot of work either way. Also, for some reason editing leaf blocks with FAWE causes lighting/shadow calculations to break, so anything under the edited leaf blocks just ends up with maximum lighting (which apparently persists after re-rendering a chunk). The //fixlighting commands cause this issue as well. It would be quite upsetting to me if fixing the leaf blocks came at the cost of removing all the cool dappled shadows in the haunted forest.

Thoughts?

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Im hesitant because I feel that a great deal of inconsistencies are going to happen with how its applied with areas with hard lines between snow/no snow or areas where trees have snow where its not appropriate

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Is it possible to change some last added blocks IDs so that we can use them with WE?
I'm thinking of the OT and Arbor blocks for instance, like some are 4104, and doesn't give the right blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Is it possible to change some last added blocks IDs so that we can use them with WE?
I'm thinking of the OT and Arbor blocks for instance, like some are 4104, and doesn't give the right blocks.

That’s a random bug but you can check their actual IDs with /br info and then use them with WE.

With the snowy spruce leaves, I wonder if you could do a big initial swap of all leaf blocks near snow in Extreme Hills with //replace [18]&~[78,80]&[$ExtremeHills] (new block).

Then do a second replace of all leaf blocks next to those new snowy leaf blocks (because there would be some spruce leaves in snowy areas at the bottom of trees etc not actually adjacent to any snow, but next to blocks which are): //replace [18]&~[(new block)] (new block) - then loop that a few times until it runs out of leaves to swap.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
With the snowy spruce leaves, I wonder if you could do a big initial swap of all leaf blocks near snow in Extreme Hills with //replace [18]&~[78,80]&[$ExtremeHills] (new block).

Then do a second replace of all leaf blocks next to those new snowy leaf blocks (because there would be some spruce leaves in snowy areas at the bottom of trees etc not actually adjacent to any snow, but next to blocks which are): //replace [18]&~[(new block)] (new block) - then loop that a few times until it runs out of leaves to swap.

I'm not entirely following what you mean here?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I'm not entirely following what you mean here?

Just suggesting the syntax for a potential replace command that could mitigate the risk of errors that Marge was concerned about if we were to try what you were talking about here:

We'd have to replace all existing spruce blocks above the snow line with the new block. Maybe FAWE allows us to do this with some massive selections without crashing the server, but I'm not sure.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ah, I get you now. I think the calculations involved with adjacency mask would make it a lot more difficult to do the mass replaces I was talking about, if anything. We can be more careful along the borders of the snowy areas. Are there any places north of the snow line that don't have spruce leaves with snow on top?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Theres the frozen shore. No trees. Sadly everywhere that has snow on the ground has snow on trees. There are no border areas like this
to divide areas with no snow from this

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Ah, I get you now. I think the calculations involved with adjacency mask would make it a lot more difficult to do the mass replaces I was talking about, if anything. We can be more careful along the borders of the snowy areas. Are there any places north of the snow line that don't have spruce leaves with snow on top?

Yeah that's a good point, I've seen WE give up when I've used too many masks and too many calculations.

I think you're right that 99.9% of trees above the snow line would be covered in snow, only big exception I can see is Queenscrown.

It's the border zone that would probably be where an adjacency mask might be most helpful.

Attachments

• 1586748704825.png
    1586748704825.png
    341.5 KB · Views: 7

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
What I was trying to say is that most of the snowy north should actually have sparse snow on the ground and most of the snow on trees in these areas would have fallen off onto the ground, like the image I provided.

Queenscrown is not covered in snow as it follows the canon that even in mid autumn most of the north is not snowbound.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
One idea that came up yesterday in game:
is it possible to add a CTM to the hanging fish blocks, so that when it's 2 blocks high, we have salmons, and 3 blocks high, a big long tuna? :D
Similar to how work sausages and ham leg. Could add lots of variety to our fishery markets and harbors, without having to add any new blocks. Also, I think that any use of 2 hanging fish blocks, one above the other, can change to salmon CTM without changing the purpose of the fishes represented. I don't think there is any other use of that block, ever. (or else, I wonder what's it supposed to represent, if not fishes)

Also, another request (this time for new blocks), before we launch OT, would be to have a few new profession blocks. We have several very specific ones, like bookbinders or scribe, compared to cheesemongers, grocers, basket/pot sellers, and I think it would be great to have those added.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Going to bring this up again now that I've made headway on fixing the leaf blocks:

It's looking less likely that I'll be able to make spruce leaf blocks snowy just by using some CTM, since the criss-cross models are now added using the basic block models, as opposed to an actual mod. This means that there's not any if/then logic which allows us to use different criss-cross textures depending on biome. The only thing we can do is apply biome shaders dependent on biome, but these are applied multiplicatively, so it's impossible to achieve a lighter color through that method (and it's also homogeneous, which isn't ideal). We can probably use CTM to replace all the textures, including the criss-cross ones, with some snowy texture, and if that works, great. However, it seems like the best results would be achieved by having different textures for the main leaf block and any additional planes that are added on top of that.

So, the other option is to specifically introduce a new "snowy spruce leaves" block, which just has a static model and does not depend on biome at all (not even for shading, so minor variations in the green color would not be captured, which shouldn't be an issue if it's just used in Taiga). This approach would be preferrable at least in terms of "object orientedness" (generally, we've recently tried to shy away from hacking in different textures exploiting biome/metadata).

However, it would not be trivial at all to actually fix the North with these textures. We'd have to replace all existing spruce blocks above the snow line with the new block. Maybe FAWE allows us to do this with some massive selections without crashing the server, but I'm not sure. It's a lot of work either way. Also, for some reason editing leaf blocks with FAWE causes lighting/shadow calculations to break, so anything under the edited leaf blocks just ends up with maximum lighting (which apparently persists after re-rendering a chunk). The //fixlighting commands cause this issue as well. It would be quite upsetting to me if fixing the leaf blocks came at the cost of removing all the cool dappled shadows in the haunted forest.

Thoughts?
I'm late to the discussion, I know. I would like to note with my recent proposal of giving more life to Beyond the wall and to add more Clans it can be assumed that the Haunted Forest is not of concern for the lighting issue. I hope anyone taking on future projects in the North nearby the Haunted Forest would work together to redo portions. So the Beyond the wall, IMO, is not applicable to the mentioned issue of adding a new block.

However, for projects that currently exist such as Wull the replacement blocks and lighting problem would still be of issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: lemonbear

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I would like to note with my recent proposal of giving more life to Beyond the wall and to add more Clans it can be assumed that the Haunted Forest is not of concern for the lighting issue. I hope anyone taking on future projects in the North nearby the Haunted Forest would work together to redo portions.

Could you elaborate on that? If you’re doing any WE to forests you’re still going to end up with the lack of lighting. There *is* a trick to fix it, which I can tell you when you get to that point, but it’s somewhat of a pain to do.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Could you elaborate on that? If you’re doing any WE to forests you’re still going to end up with the lack of lighting. There *is* a trick to fix it, which I can tell you when you get to that point, but it’s somewhat of a pain to do.

The current iteration of the haunted forest should not remain and is hopefully going to be redone as projects are added and completed. The entirety of the forest is out of date.