Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Can I ask for pear leaves block and hemp (cannabis sativa)? possibly CTM for hemp as it would be 2m or even 3m high sometimes.
First one for the fruit, in addition to apple, that is immensely used on the server, a bit of variation would be nice (also, it's canon in the books).
Second one for all the multiple uses of hemp in medieval times: ropes, textiles and clothes, paper, oils, etc. It would be also extremely useful for rope making facilities, around harbours for example.
Don't think I need to make a draw for any of those, everybody knows what they are :p

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
If I remember correctly, Yronwood has some hemp crops and uses the Jungle Fern (or whatever it's called) texture. Some others might be using that as well.

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
If I remember correctly, Yronwood has some hemp crops and uses the Jungle Fern (or whatever it's called) texture. Some others might be using that as well.
Yeah, that's the only alternative imo, I also made some tests some time ago. But I don't think it works that well... and I'm not sure someone would actually recognize it. We'd need some plant between bracken and savanna/jungle tall grass. The cannabis sativa has very long stems.22292231

Attachments

• 2016-10-25_12.03.32.png
    2016-10-25_12.03.32.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 0

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Yeah, that's the only alternative imo, I also made some tests some time ago. But I don't think it works that well... and I'm not sure someone would actually recognize it. We'd need some plant between bracken and savanna/jungle tall grass. The cannabis sativa has very long stems.View attachment 2229View attachment 2231

What do the two look like when put together? Say a 5-15% mix of Hemp with the majority savanna tall grass?

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Okay so the list so far:
Proper fences, stripped bark logs, pears, hemp (both sativa and indica)?
No need for 2 different hemp varieties, Cannabis sativa is the hemp (compared to indica, which is the one for drug), their stems are much higher/longer, meaning longer fibers.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
01214fcf6e.png

Prototype of the stripped bark fence. You got any specific requests here otherwise I'll go ahead with recoloring them to match the planks (Although that's somewhat unrealistic.. I mean our spruce planks don't actually represent raw wood. They would have been pitched/varnished/painted otherwise they'd never be this dark.)

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Will this be replacing the existing fence model?
The above is the vanilla fence model. Nobody seemed interest in new models, so this is only a retexture of the current fence blocks. I only recreated the vanilla model for rapid offline testing, that's the reason why you see that screenshot above.

But while I'm on this, I'm gonna take the time to pitch a using one of these to replace our wood plank textures:
e53a11d5bc.png

The colours of these are researched to be:
Oak, actual spruce, maple and walnut.

@Enah sorry I didn't have the money to even look at pictures of Mahogany :p

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The above is the vanilla fence model. Nobody seemed interest in new models, so this is only a retexture of the current fence blocks. I only recreated the vanilla model for rapid offline testing, that's the reason why you see that screenshot above.

Ah, right. For some reason I thought the model looked different from the current one.

But while I'm on this, I'm gonna take the time to pitch a using one of these to replace our wood plank textures:

I've tried messing with the wood plank blocks in the past, and I've found it exceedingly difficult to make any modifications to them (both in terms of texture as well as color) without making at least one use case look bad. They are on that list on Asana of older textures that I wanted us to revisit, though, so it's worth a look.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
This is the texture in its simplest format, single tile, no nails, no borders, no CTM. I can make it as complex as we need it to be.

1a19788e9c.jpg

Facade without:
e3ea5ccf4c.jpg
Facade with:
04ca1551ea.jpg

Before:
292970a514.jpg

After:
29aee28426.jpg

And the stripped bark fence:
7caff2808a.jpg

The cross-beams are broken here will fix that when I understand how vanilla fences draw textures.

ItsPabs

Playwright
I totally like the look of these new wood blocks, I think they'd be a great addition, and overall a big improvement!

That being said, like Marge implied, I would hope we apply it to the painted wood blocks texture too (it would only make sense).

I think it would be a good opportunity to also desaturate some of the painted wood blocks we currently have and bring them to more of a washed/more realistic look rather than the versions we currently have.

Messing around in photoshop for a quick minute - here's a visual indicator of what I mean. Dropping the saturation on the colors and maybe upping the brightness here or there (yellow is usually naturally a bright color, and our current green block seems a little dark to me). I wouldn't mess with the white, grey or black blocks too much. I think purple would look good desatured some more too.

In the above image the colors look maybe more washed out than they would appear next to most of our normal blocks. Obviously we still want to be able to tell that each painted block is representing its assigned color.

Combine the desaturation with the new textures Thamus has made for the generic wood blocks and I think we'd have some more realistic and overall more visually pleasing painted wood blocks!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'm still not really a fan. It feels a bit too plastic, and clashes a lot with some of the other textures like the thatch and the logs in the KL houses. Also, the slightly different texture and slightly darker tone of the vertical planks/half doors was often used to create some subtle contrasts in houses, to good effect, which seems to be diminished now that the vertical planks are mostly just a rotated version of the normal planks.