Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Howy

Royal Messenger
Hey so I actually quite like Tham's wood planks texture. I understand the plastic-y look, so I think it could do with more noise and perhaps slightly less saturation?

However I would prefer we kept the vertical planks as they are, I enjoy the contrast between our vertical planks and our horizontal/standard planks, and whether or not we keep our current horizontal texture I think the vertical texture should remain the same.

I personally, with maybe some more slight changes, would really like it if we changed up our horizontal planks and I think Tham is on the right track.

Reactions: Luk and Enah

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Will this be applied to painted wood as well? I'm liking how the unpainted wood interlocks with eachother
Yes!

Combine the desaturation with the new textures Thamus has made for the generic wood blocks and I think we'd have some more realistic and overall more visually pleasing painted wood blocks!
I think I get you and will try something.

Also, the slightly different texture and slightly darker tone of the vertical planks/half doors was often used to create some subtle contrasts in houses, to good effect, which seems to be diminished now that the vertical planks are mostly just a rotated version of the normal planks.
I think it's good that the texture has some depth to it. Rough-cut planks do have some relief so it's more realistic than being super flat and a wood veneer would stand out over whatever base it's on. I can try to reduce the contrast a little which should reduce the pop this texture has over others.
Vertical planks imho should be the same as horizontal planks, you know, just vertical. I am sure you can get the same effect here. Show me a house in-game for reference please if you want me to follow up on this.

However I would prefer we kept the vertical planks as they are, I enjoy the contrast between our vertical planks and our horizontal/standard planks, and whether or not we keep our current horizontal texture I think the vertical texture should remain the same.

I'll make a demo pack, so you can see for yourself.

Reactions: ItsPabs and Enah

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think it's good that the texture has some depth to it. Rough-cut planks do have some relief so it's more realistic than being super flat and a wood veneer would stand out over whatever base it's on. I can try to reduce the contrast a little which should reduce the pop this texture has over others.

I'm not entirely getting what you mean here? Are you referring to the old texture, or the new one?

Show me a house in-game for reference please if you want me to follow up on this.

Well, I think the (loss of the) use of contrast between vertical & horizontal planks that I mentioned is apparent enough in the KL houses that you linked; particularly the gables. But I can try to find a house where it stands out more to me if you upload a demo pack.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm not entirely getting what you mean here? Are you referring to the old texture, or the new one?
The old one is super flat imo it looks like a piece of paper with some wood pattern printed on it, the new one creates the illusion that each plank also has a thickness to it.

Another gripe I have with the old texture is that it has these super bright highlights. Wood is matte unless it's varnished and polished to a sheen.

Reactions: AerioOndos
In regards to redoing the wood textures:

I encourage additional blocks and redoing the texture of clearly outdated and unused blocks.

I do not support such drastic changes affecting thousands of manhours put into the collective project.

It's asking to change all the effort we made in the past years.

A compromise would be to have a parallel resourcepack with these modifications and see which one we gravitate to and after see if we are ready for such a change.

Also, I don't think the proposals gives the same artistic feel as our other textures. Maybe removing the shadowing at the edge of the planks would help. We don't have textures with that much forced shadows on them.

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I do not support such drastic changes affecting thousands of manhours put into the collective project.
Sorry to hear that. I guess you didn't give it a chance then?

A compromise would be to have a parallel resourcepack with these modifications and see which one we gravitate to and after see if we are ready for such a change.

That's pretty much what I'm doing already, but let's make it official. That way I can go nuts on textures if I want to!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'd be fine with having a Dev pack for testing new textures that people can opt to use if they want to, with textures being absorbed into the Production pack after a period of vetting. The restriction that needs to be maintained is that you can't change block textures in a way that would plausibly alter their use cases (including the types of palettes/gradients that block is used with), because then some people using the Dev pack might start using a block in a way which is inconsistent with the Production pack.

Regarding adding things like the new wood plank texture into the Production pack - this is pretty much as close to a universal building block we have; they're used in virtually every region and every style. So my standards for incorporating the update into Production are commensurately high. I want to see a strong consensus from the community that the texture is strictly better than the old one (or at least indifference) before I add it to Production, rather than a handful of people saying they like it on a forum thread (and a handful of others saying they don't).

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Then I shan't derail this thread any further, those who are interested can follow, comment, and guide my progress here:

RomanticSoda420

Mummer
hi im in the process of becoming a builder so can't really comment...... but I've explored the single player building styles and have a slight suggestion. its a small thing but it can be irritating when building castles with Many arrow slits. I've noticed that the arrow slit block is hollow and 2 sided which makes it difficult to work with. do you think it could be possible to a make it whole block by any chance. In my opinion it would improve the aesthetics of builds.

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

ItsPabs

Playwright
So my standards for incorporating the update into Production are commensurately high. I want to see a strong consensus from the community that the texture is strictly better than the old one (or at least indifference) before I add it to Production, rather than a handful of people saying they like it on a forum thread (and a handful of others saying they don't).

This is a good way to handle it. I think a poll or something could work. I think let Tham tweak the wood texture a little more (I do personally think it has potential and already looks better in some cases, but could be polished further)

We have a lot of new blocks/textures being added to the server recently. I would suggest the mods talk it over and we have some kind of community vote on what to add or what to keep. Instead of going over each change individually it might be better to think about it on a larger scale.

In regards to what @Nuggets said, we do have to be careful about diminishing old work and especially, as Emote mentioned, changing the use of these blocks (wood turning to a stone texture or something would obviously break a ton of builds). However I disagree that changing the wood texture would do that in this case. Since it's just updating the wood texture, old builds will just be converted over to the new style. Of course old builds were built with the old texture in mind, so changing it over might not be as visually appealing for those builds (I would bet many old builds would benefit from the change though).

In a case like I described above, where the use of the block isn't changing and we're just updating it's look, I don't think we should be afraid to update and try and improve things. Yes old builds will look different, but they wouldn't be obsolete necessarily. Still, I think for the time being Nugg's suggestion of a parallel resource pack is a good idea, and then we could eventually update the main pack later.

Enah

Skinchanger
hi im in the process of becoming a builder so can't really comment...... but I've explored the single player building styles and have a slight suggestion. its a small thing but it can be irritating when building castles with Many arrow slits. I've noticed that the arrow slit block is hollow and 2 sided which makes it difficult to work with. do you think it could be possible to a make it whole block by any chance. In my opinion it would improve the aesthetics of builds.
the arrow slits are great! D:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
IIRC the reason we cull the opposite faces of the arrow slit blocks is because otherwise you would be able to see all faces from the inside, which would look strange (arrow slits aren't a directional block, but have openings on all four sides). Might be worth trying to revisit though.

Howy

Royal Messenger
This may have already been requested but could we please have a wall block for the valyrian/obsidian texture? The intent being it is used for the Hightower black fort foundation.

Reactions: Enah

RomanticSoda420

Mummer
IIRC the reason we cull the opposite faces of the arrow slit blocks is because otherwise you would be able to see all faces from the inside, which would look strange (arrow slits aren't a directional block, but have openings on all four sides). Might be worth trying to revisit though.
Oh ok I get what you mean