Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Also for the Hightower, could we have special light blocks that produce lots of light, so it's visible from the ground? Not sure our current blocks, glowing ember or redstone lamps or others, would be enough.

Not really, sorry :( The way minecraft light works is it has a value from 0 to 15, with 15 being brightest (it means the light affects a 15 block radius). Some of our blocks are already at level 15 (brazier, fire, etc.).

Reactions: Elduwin

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Not really, sorry :( The way minecraft light works is it has a value from 0 to 15, with 15 being brightest (it means the light affects a 15 block radius). Some of our blocks are already at level 15 (brazier, fire, etc.).

Ho really? That's a shame :(
What about invisible blocks that could produce light?
Idk, whatever solution we may have?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ho really? That's a shame :(
What about invisible blocks that could produce light?
Idk, whatever solution we may have?

It wouldn't look very good, since all light-emitting blocks in minecraft act as point sources rather than spotlights. Also, I imagine it would be laggy as all hell.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey everyone, I threw together a very rough patch with a few Highgarden textures, so that you all can start testing with them and give feedback. There will be more added in the future, but I will be leaving for Iceland for about a week, so I was in a bit of a hurry to release these. Once I get back, I plan on throwing everything we have so far together and making an actual update.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jncmstfoxmi9sbe/WesterosCraft-Highgarden.zip?dl=0

The blocks are as follows:
- Pink-veined marble: Block 179
- Pink plaster: Block 201
- Green plaster: Block 202

Disclaimer: These blocks are only for testing purposes. Hence why they are on placeholder vanilla textures. If something does not look right using the normal texture pack, please do not use it in actual buildings.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Hey I was wondering if for things like fountains we could have a vine-variant that uses the texture of Alyssa's tears for a convincing water trickle since vanilla water is too large and looks like a HUEG deluge.

By vine-variant I mean imagine the textures in the jasmine vines on this fountain replaced with flowing water

nraei0A.png

Idk if it could be done but it doesn't hurt to ask ;^)

Kor_Bro

Envoy
Hey folks, I thought I would share a bit of inspiration I found recently in regards to our nature blocks. I feel there are ways we can improve our nature on the server, so I've compiled a short list of ideas.

Would it be possible to implement some of these changes and additions? Feedback and opinions from the entire community is much appreciated.

Enah

Skinchanger
we have grass blocks that connect to another lower grassblock to make it grassy on the side... it has to be enabled i believe. it's in the nature thing, f8 i think? the better foliage mod

here's an example from the server i took a few months ago, inside a cave somewhere

Reactions: Kor_Bro

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The last big nature update I did (I think about a year ago?) was actually based in large part on Ardacraft- you can probably see similarities in many of the textures we have now. But we can always do better. I think we've started to really nail our forests of all sorts, but I agree that plains and other unforested areas are still a major weak point. I like the idea of adding blocks for heathland and moors, and can definitely do this. How would such a block differ from the lavendar we have currently? Since the purple heather in the images at least looks somewhat like that block. Can you think of what else would help us improve our plains?

Also yeah, as Enah said, we do have the side-grass option. I think it's the same mod Ardacraft uses. I can't remember it being off by default, but I'm not entirely sure. You can also enable the short-grass without actual blocks option in BetterFoliage, though imo it doesn't really lead to good results.

Fin

Playwright
Just, à propos purple flowers. The fireweed texture, what's it based off of. Cuz this is the fireweed I know and was gonna use in the vale (as I saw it in the alps; see pic)
880fed38cd.png

Shouldn't it have more green? like here:
d7cf8fcab8.png

Reactions: lemonbear

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
The fireweed I added is actually supposed to represent the unbloomed/dead variant:

IMG_0523.JPG

2696554_5748c105.jpg

S0708151211-E.-angust-Lg.jpg

I do agree though that a general heather/flowering fireweed block would be a useful addition.

Reactions: Fin and AerioOndos

Kor_Bro

Envoy
On the topic of connected texture grass/side grass i noticed something when comparing Ardacraft's version to ours. it seem to be the case that our connected texture grass only functions if you have a dirt/grass block underneath too, while I noticed on Ardacraft it works when another grass block is placed diagonally to another grass block, without a dirt/grass block underneath. This may not seem a problem at first, but when you take into consideration that most of the time it's just the top layer being grass, with a terrainset block underneath, it actually blocks the connecting textures from happening.
2018-03-09_12.54.29.png
2018-03-09_12.43.38.png

Another thing i noticed while i had the connected texture grass enabled, is the fact that the nice randomly patterned grass only works if the layer beneath is neither grass or dirt. For this to work most effectively, it should ideally generate the nice randomly patterned grass on the top side regardless of the block underneath it.
I think this ties into the fact that our connected texture grass changes in relation to the block underneath, and not diagonally as is the case on Ardacraft, as I also mentioned above.
2018-03-09_13.34.42.png

On another topic, regarding improving our plains, heathland and moors as we talked about earlier. I do have a few suggestions as to how we can improve those areas.
As for the heather block and making it different from our own Lavender Bush block, I'd say there's a few differences we can use here. Firstly our own Lavender bush block is almost perfectly symmetrical and round, this does not go very well with the nature around us, as that is very rarely the case. Secondly our Lavender block is very simple in it's colours: it's green and purple. Ideally it should go from a green to a brownish/deep purple and then to a more bright purple/pink at the top. And lastly, i don't know if this is possible, but it would certainly improve the look if it: on our server the flowers are painted on two planes, from corner corner. I noticed on Ardacraft that their flowers and grass/nature is painted on multiple planes, every 45 degrees actually, this gives a much fuller and realistic looking flower, I also noticed that there can sometime be multiple flower "bouquets" on a single block, sometimes offset so they appear to blend with the block next to as well. Here's a few images from our server, and Ardacraft to show you the difference.
2018-03-09_12.49.49.png 2018-03-09_12.49.51.png
2018-03-09_12.41.03.png 2018-03-09_12.41.05.png 2018-03-09_12.41.09.png 2018-03-09_12.41.13.png 2018-03-09_12.42.52.png

There's also a lot of other flower/grass additions we could include in our block collection like:
Dead grass and bushes
Dark Red Bracken
another "Bracken"
Meadow fescue
Timothy Grass
I can only upload 10 images to this post, so here's a document with details and pictures of the mentioned plants:

I hope this can be useful, so that we can improve those areas of nature. Overall the Ardacraft server has a very nice depiction of these plants and manage to use them very well. It would be nice to have similar blocks on our own server.
I don't know if it would be too much trouble for these few plants, or if some of it is even possible. But feedback is always appreciated.

Enah

Skinchanger
Ok, with lavender, there’s different plant types. Most bush lavender is fairly round and symmetrical, which is good for the fields we use. I think they are round as ours are modeled after the French lavender bush, which is usually perfectly round.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Both BetterFoliage and Optifine implement their own connected grass. I think you may be enabling the wrong one. I have the connected grass enabled and don't have any of the issues you mentioned.

Adding heather and some of the grass variants is definitely possible. However, at the moment we can't do the effect with multiple textures at various angles and offsets. It might just be as simple as making a new block model, but it's something Mike would have to do. I presume there's a possibility of converting web-model blocks into this new block model in the future, so I'm not particularly worried about adding blocks in the current form with the potential to change them later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kor_Bro

Kor_Bro

Envoy
I played around with my settings, and that seemed to fix the problem. Options > Video Settings > Quality > Better Grass > Fancy fixed it. I had mine on Fast, which seem to be the root of that problem, thank you!
Edit: I also disabled the connected grass textures on the better foliage mod, which seemed to be part of the problem. I assume having it active on both mods mess it up.

Last edited: