Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Looks like an interesting idea. I have a couple questions though:

- I presume the blocks would just be something like static Alyssa's Tears, correct (although they appear to be solid blocks rather than web-type blocks)?

- How many cloud blocks were necessary for this?

- Was the brush in the video part of a WE mod, or did it just use standard WE capabilities?

- How would we ensure these blocks are placed in a sensible way (i.e. avoid random builds having clouds above them)? Or would they pretty much just be used for detail on mountains and low-ceiling forests?

- Would it not be better to code fog particle effects + better clouds into a mod, than use static blocks? I suppose the difficulty of this is (1) being able to do clouds at different heights and (2) selecting in-game geographical areas to have permanent/more probable fog.

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
- I presume the blocks would just be something like static Alyssa's Tears, correct (although they appear to be solid blocks rather than web-type blocks)?
I believe they are solid blocks (like glass blocks). On the Arda Discord they discussed all the options including web-type blocks and this turned out best-looking.

- How many cloud blocks were necessary for this?
Towards the end of the vid I posted, Dags opens the brush options and it just shows the conquest:cloud_white block there. One of the properties of the brushes is 'trait' which is set to 'opacity' by default. So, the brush logic must decrease the opacity of individual blocks towards the outer rims of the clouds, while the center is more opaque. For this to work, the blocks must exist at different opacities in the game logic I assume. This behaviour is further illustrated when he switches the block to minecraft:stained_glass and the 'trait' to 'colour'. You can see that the cloud insides are coloured differently than the outsides.

- Was the brush in the video part of a WE mod, or did it just use standard WE capabilities?
I doubt it. When you see the brush options you see a lot of non-standard parameters. I believe it must be a custom WE extension.

- How would we ensure these blocks are placed in a sensible way (i.e. avoid random builds having clouds above them)? Or would they pretty much just be used for detail on mountains and low-ceiling forests?
Through education and common sense. Cloud formation could be another chapter in the 101, and I'm sure we could think of a minimum height at which clouds are sensible. If there is a fog block, then their presence could be dictated by natural and thus tangible phenomena.

- Would it not be better to code fog particle effects + better clouds into a mod, than use static blocks? I suppose the difficulty of this is (1) being able to do clouds at different heights and (2) selecting in-game geographical areas to have permanent/more probable fog.
I'd agree, but until one of us dedicates their time and resources to making this happen, this is the best shot we have.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Towards the end of the vid I posted, Dags opens the brush options and it just shows the conquest:cloud_white block there. One of the properties of the brushes is 'trait' which is set to 'opacity' by default. So, the brush logic must decrease the opacity of individual blocks towards the outer rims of the clouds, while the center is more opaque. For this to work, the blocks must exist at different opacities in the game logic I assume. This behaviour is further illustrated when he switches the block to minecraft:stained_glass and the 'trait' to 'colour'. You can see that the cloud insides are coloured differently than the outsides.

So it seems like (still thinking in the old paradigm) it's one block ID with 15 different metas of varying opacity? That should be easy enough to set up, though I'm not really sure how the brush setup works. Someone else who has the knowledge would have to do that part.

I might just use the textures from Conquest if I get permission, since the block textures are simple and we've borrowed stuff from them in the past. Do you know who created these textures? Was it Monsterfish, or Wheellee?

I doubt it. When you see the brush options you see a lot of non-standard parameters. I believe it must be a custom WE extension.

I think I'd prefer if we can get more knowledge of the brush setup before I add the cloud blocks to the game, since they're somewhat useless without having a nice way to place them in realistic cloud patterns. And I don't want people to start half-assing clouds.

Through education and common sense. Cloud formation could be another chapter in the 101, and I'm sure we could think of a minimum height at which clouds are sensible. If there is a fog block, then their presence could be dictated by natural and thus tangible phenomena.

Well, I guess what I meant is that we're obviously not going to add clouds above all of Westeros this way. And it doesn't make much sense for clouds to only be present on our map above particular recent builds. So I think I would restrict the cloud blocks to be used only for "high elevation" areas, like mountains.

And do we need a seperate block for fog? It seems like the cloud block and fog are essentially the same thing.

I'd agree, but until one of us dedicates their time and resources to making this happen, this is the best shot we have.

True. I think we can cautiously use cloud/fog blocks in cases which require it (around the Giant's Lance, spooky "permafog" forests, etc.) but not try to use it for representing general weather patterns in just any builds.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Could it be possible to contact the creators of the cocricot resource pack (http://cocricot.pics/)? A lot of the textures are too modern to use, but there's a few textures that I think we would benefit from having or at least be able to create our own version of.

Here's a few that I have in mind:

object131.jpg
object31.jpg
object23.jpg
object65.jpg
object66.jpg
town2.jpg
town3.jpg
object29.jpg
object84.jpg
glass16.jpg
glass25.jpg

Same resource pack also has some choice ideas for wildflowers that could also fit in more "domestic" settings

plants17.jpg
plants8.jpg
plants18.jpg
plants9.jpg
plants11.jpg
plants10.jpg

These are just some ideas that I think could benefit some of the builds (particular The Reach which this resource pack focuses on French influences)

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
@Emotione11 @Thamus_Knoward are we talking about full blocks? or that we can go through?
That'd be weird to have solid cloud blocks...

I went and checked it out today and it is mediocre at best. I mean hell it looks cool and I love the idea but the block is currently a solid square block that cannot be traversed i.e. it has the full collision. Furthermore, when looking up at it from underneath there is no fog effect and one can clearly see the edges inside of the fog.

I guess Emote was right when he said that a dynamic/ volumetric fog plugin would be better.

@mikeprimm would it be possible to use the same "fog" mechanism that MC rendering uses on short render distances but locally instead globally? Optimally triggered by a placed block for all players near it?

Something like this?
f7eb80ff12.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Emoticone11

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
but there's a few textures that I think we would benefit from having or at least be able to create our own version of.

I totally agree! I mean the whole pack is incredibly neat. Like just perfectly matched and well executed, especially for 20th century builds.

I'd like to suggest WesterosCraftifying* a sub-selection of the following blocks for OT. Perhaps this pushes the discussion and consensus forward.

As the street and basic building blocks: 24:0, 24:3, 24:4 and/or 24:5.

906f7e6b88.png

e9c8fc2916.png

As painted plasters: Any of the ones below except the first that are deemed to fit the canon/ other blocks that we have in the reach/ our colors.
925b7cf188.png

* By this I mean de-noising and colour adjusting the blocks. Perhaps even redrawing the rough shapes or restyling them with westerosi iconography.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
What's the purpose of it? AFAIK we've been phasing out iron door use except for locked doors. If you need it for locked doors at HG it should be no problem.

Enah

Skinchanger
It would definitely be used extensively in hg for furniture, wall and other things. The half doors just seem too rough, and don’t have the decorative arch design. But I didn’t know it was being phased out, I use iron doors as chair backs and paneling for fireplaces and such

Reactions: Elduwin

mikeprimm

Playwright
Staff member
Admin
Two different ways to view local 'fog': one is that it changes the factor used by the rendering of the character's POV (that is, based on where you are, the world looks more or less 'foggy', but you don't "see" the edge of the fog), and the other is going volumetric, where we'd be talking something more like a non-colliding glass-like block OR something very complicated (like GLSL shaders). Here's something that might be of interest:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I know a lot of video games use particle effect generators to create fog. I don't suppose the minecraft particle effect system is sophisticated enough to support that?

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

Howy

Royal Messenger
On a different note...could I please have a Hightower banner. Pretty please. Despite my best efforts none of the banners really represent the Hightower sigil with its white tower, smoke-grey background, and red flame.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
On a different note...could I please have a Hightower banner. Pretty please. Despite my best efforts none of the banners really represent the Hightower sigil with its white tower, smoke-grey background, and red flame.

If we're doing house-specific banners, I think we should at least add banners for all the great and/or major houses (such as houses with multiple canon houses sworn to them).

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Also for the Hightower, could we have special light blocks that produce lots of light, so it's visible from the ground? Not sure our current blocks, glowing ember or redstone lamps or others, would be enough.