Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
You're like a machine mate, great work! Can I nitpick a little as well?
  • The Stark banner is using the HBO version as well (and looks a little offset to the left).
  • The middle 2 bands of the Lannister banner are still visable on the iron.
Do you have plans/motivation to touch the existing banners as well (except for the RK banner, Faith banner and Red God banner)? I was thinking to simplify them a bit so they do not have something that resembles a sigil (like the circles, fleur des lis, etc.) and are just a colour, maybe having them all in a similar style as well. That way they can be used in combinations.

Nitpicks are great!
Yeah it was only after I finished that I realised the canon Stark sigil was the full bodied running wolf. I'll have a go at making that version. And nice catch with the lannister bands.

I hadn't thought about updating the existing banners, since they've probably been used already in their thousands, but taking out the shapes that look like sigils wouldn't be any trouble though.

Reactions: EStoop

Howy

Royal Messenger
Updates
Howy - I've expanded the tower and added some shadows to the banner plus a spiffy border.

Fin - I've widened the Tarly and Baratheon banners and shifted the Manderly trident to make more of a gap between the sigil and the border.

Enah - Non-HBO Tully for you

Marg - Is this one looking better?

Hey Cash, looks great. My one final request (but this is entirely personal preference, tho leading the Hightower I'd ask you consider it =P) is that the Hightower banner has the same shaped bottom as either the Lannister banner you first posted (three points) or the new Tully banner (rounded bottom edge). Preferably the former but if the latter is easier I'd be happy with that. I promise thats my last request, looks great so far (as do they all)!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
@EStoop With regards to banners, they don't actually use CTM- they use a similar sort of mechanism as beds, where it's actually two "blocks" with different textures, and when you place it it automagically fills the other half in.

Reactions: EStoop

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Cash, looks great. My one final request (but this is entirely personal preference, tho leading the Hightower I'd ask you consider it =P) is that the Hightower banner has the same shaped bottom as either the Lannister banner you first posted (three points) or the new Tully banner (rounded bottom edge). Preferably the former but if the latter is easier I'd be happy with that. I promise thats my last request, looks great so far (as do they all)!

Ta-daa

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'd like to suggest that you lighten your blacks in all of the banners, and remember to highlight that there are visible wool fibers on our wool blocks.

In some of the banners the blacks are so dark that the motive doesn't look like its stitched onto the banner anymore but looks detached/ floaty. And as for the wool pattern that really helps to sell the illusion that these are made from rough wool. Another way to handle that would be to add dynamic shades from where folds would be. This, however, is a lot more work.

I'm not sure if Emote helped you with these, but we used to have a resource with neatly organized photoshop files for all kinds of textures.

Reactions: EStoop and Iwan

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I'd like to suggest that you lighten your blacks in all of the banners, and remember to highlight that there are visible wool fibers on our wool blocks.

In some of the banners the blacks are so dark that the motive doesn't look like its stitched onto the banner anymore but looks detached/ floaty. And as for the wool pattern that really helps to sell the illusion that these are made from rough wool. Another way to handle that would be to add dynamic shades from where folds would be. This, however, is a lot more work.

I'm not sure if Emote helped you with these, but we used to have a resource with neatly organized photoshop files for all kinds of textures.

No problem, I'll use the black wool texture block as a guide and add some more contrasting details to the Greyjoy/Baratheon banner (the targ one is pretty shaded already)

Emote has said it would be great to get them finished sooner rather than later since he's travelling soon, so I'll aim to have them locked in within the next day or so. Here are the 16 that are finished (subject to the minor fixes Tham suggested). Note that the Stark banner is now the running wolf instead of the HBO version.

Duck has also requested a House Harte banner, which I could put together tonight. Have I missed any other important ones?

Reactions: nubcaker

Kor_Bro

Envoy
Duck has also requested a House Harte banner, which I could put together tonight. Have I missed any other important ones?
On the note of adding banners to minor noble houses, I would advise against it for now, or you will very quickly find yourself making banners for every minor noble house on the server, and we will get a collection of banners exceeding in numbers that of any other block we have. For minor noble houses, an update to the current banners of plain colours would suffice I'd say. Then people can mix them as they like, as is being done now. Banners for the major houses are great though, as well as a few of the closest bannermen of the major houses.

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Yes let's definitely not do all Houses banners...
Just keep to the major ones of each region, like one or 2 others

Btw, they look great @CashBanks thanks a lot for the work you've done so far! :D

Reactions: Wazgamer

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I wouldn't be sure where to start with towns since they don't have their own heraldry, but maybe significant locations like the Citadel/Starry Sept/Castle Black? Otherwise feel free to just start making a list and I'll have a crack.
Current list is: Arryn, Baratheon, Bolton, Dayne, Frey, Greyjoy, Hightower, Lannister, Manderly, Martell, Stannis Baratheon, Stark, Targaryen, Tarly, Tully, Tyrell.

Possible future banners: Cerwyn, Clegane, Connington, Florent, Gardner (for HG), Grafton, Mormont, Karstark, Royce, Tarth, Umber (and Harte since Duck asked XD)

btw the Winterfell test turned out nice

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Possible future banners: Cerwyn, Clegane, Connington, Florent, Gardner (for HG), Grafton, Mormont, Karstark, Royce, Tarth, Umber (and Harte since Duck asked XD)

I'd focus on houses that rule over significant portions of land for possible future banners (if at all), like; Blackwood, Bracken, Mallister, Vance, Tarth, Rykker, Dustin, Reed, Flint, Dayne and so on.

Not sure what warrents a banner for Cerwyn, Clegane, Connington, Florent, Gardener or Harte since those houses are either only famous by name (while being relatively minor and thus wouldn't have much use for a special banner), extinct or, in the case of house Harte, barely known at all while also being relatively minor.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
For riverlands all I’d have would be Tully, Frey, and Mallister. If you add Blackwood, you’d need to also add Bracken so suddenly you’ve got a lotta banners.

Reactions: Elduwin