• BUT RISES AGAIN HARDER AND STRONGER

• BUT RISES AGAIN HARDER AND STRONGER

Results are only viewable after voting.

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her

Hope this works
Going for an update, was a redo at the time of writing but check newer posts by me
TESTS NOT FINISHED, WILL BE POSTED HERE WHEN DONE
FEEL FREE TO CHECK AT MY PLOT /WARP HOMIESUCC

Also its very late and I am very drunk, dont blame me if i did something wrong

Last edited:

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey homie nice u make a stormland project as a big stormland fan i love it!
Here are some wooden Eastern Europe sept inspiration I rlly like.
~ Jeff

Attachments

• 0D29A4CD-06C5-4D0B-B136-C16C2AE24217.jpeg
    0D29A4CD-06C5-4D0B-B136-C16C2AE24217.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 526622CB-4FC8-4CCB-B478-9FFE9DBC26EB.jpeg
    526622CB-4FC8-4CCB-B478-9FFE9DBC26EB.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0601A2D4-6148-4029-826A-0BC0B88A854F.jpeg
    0601A2D4-6148-4029-826A-0BC0B88A854F.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 12
  • AF0CBE79-0765-41DB-B0B6-765CF5580C2C.jpeg
    AF0CBE79-0765-41DB-B0B6-765CF5580C2C.jpeg
    516.1 KB · Views: 13

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her
Clarification:

keeping: Roads, mini locations, main hamlet location, terra, plotting
adding: Roads, farm, hamlet and minis
removing: the pigpen(?) between the village and farm
changing: Style, keep, crops, banners, professions

That's pretty comprehensive really. Again dont think of it as a nuking of the lands and a blank slate, more of a slightly bigger update than usual

Last edited:

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Typically speaking, rice is neither more or less hardy in a rainy climate like the Stormlands than say wheat, barley or oats and their planting inside paddies isn't because they're adapted to wet marshy environments (although they don't mind it) but because its a form a weed-control since rice doesn't mind being waterlogged like other weeds.

However culturally speaking, rice was really only ever cultivated in regions like Spain and Italy (mostly in Sicily) where Moors brought Asiatic Rice via trade routes from East Asia. They typically don't grow very well in cold stormy regions like the Stormlands and would prefer warm regions like Spain and Italy where in the modern day produce 80% of all European rice yields.

I'd also like to point out that carrots, turnips, peas, berry bushes are in fact extremely hardy plants and their frequent cultivation in the medieval era and in the modern era in Europe speaks to this. However they are no more or less hardy than say pumpkins or melons.

Eggplants would not thrive at all in the stormlands for the same reason as rice, they require a great deal of hot weather and thrive best in especially dry and hot climates domesticated in tropical climates in India and South China and orginating from sub-saharan Africa. When cultivated in colder climates, typically what happens is that they simply fail to produce fruit or simply refuse to sprout.

Sweet potatoes would not be included since like regular potatoes are a New World plant that have not been mentioned in canon and originate from South America. They also dislike cold weather and do not tolerate frost of any kind.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I really like you've tried to come up with crops adapted to the area, it's a nice detail, although I agree with Marge on the usage of rice and eggplants. I come from a wet, cool, montanious region where regular wheat doesn't thrive or grow. Instead here we cultivate "escanda", triticum dicoccoides, a wheat variety more adapted to our climate (at least we used to until it got replaced by corn). It's resistant to cold and to fungal diseases, making it able to hold on a higher amount of water and lower temperatures than regular wheat. Another variety resistant to humidity is emmer wheat.

Chestnuts are another option if you want to add more variety to your food supplies. They can be cultivated or recolected in the forest and provide a fatty seed that can be grounded to make flour, gruel and scones.

1540894680_137639_1540894886_noticia_normal.jpg

What we call "berzas" and google translate names collard green would be a perfect fit as well. Related to cabbage, kale and broccoli, it has very big leaves that can be used in stews, soups and such as a nutrituos filler. It is also useful for feeding cattle. They usually grow with a bit of a stem.

Origen-Berza.jpg

You also have peas, leek (which grows on the same areas as onions can), apples, pears, chard, spinach... In general I would advise leaning heavy on the leafy greens, keeping in mind that there are grains and wheat varieties able to resists the climate of Cape Warth.​

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
what I would love to have in the Stormlands is perry and perry pears. Perry is a pear cider and the trees in the UK were historically allowed to grow quite large in their orchards and produced quite high yields. Though an exceptional example, the Holme Lacy tree produced 5 tonnes of fruit in 1790. This would produce interesting, tall orchards that would blend in well with the tall trees of the Rainwood better than smaller schem trees. Examples of trellised pears on the server exist north of stoney sept, on the western shore of the small lake.

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her
Typically speaking, rice is neither more or less hardy in a rainy climate like the Stormlands than say wheat, barley or oats and their planting inside paddies isn't because they're adapted to wet marshy environments (although they don't mind it) but because its a form a weed-control since rice doesn't mind being waterlogged like other weeds.

However culturally speaking, rice was really only ever cultivated in regions like Spain and Italy (mostly in Sicily) where Moors brought Asiatic Rice via trade routes from East Asia. They typically don't grow very well in cold stormy regions like the Stormlands and would prefer warm regions like Spain and Italy where in the modern day produce 80% of all European rice yields.

I'd also like to point out that carrots, turnips, peas, berry bushes are in fact extremely hardy plants and their frequent cultivation in the medieval era and in the modern era in Europe speaks to this. However they are no more or less hardy than say pumpkins or melons.

Eggplants would not thrive at all in the stormlands for the same reason as rice, they require a great deal of hot weather and thrive best in especially dry and hot climates domesticated in tropical climates in India and South China and orginating from sub-saharan Africa. When cultivated in colder climates, typically what happens is that they simply fail to produce fruit or simply refuse to sprout.

Sweet potatoes would not be included since like regular potatoes are a New World plant that have not been mentioned in canon and originate from South America. They also dislike cold weather and do not tolerate frost of any kind.
I really like you've tried to come up with crops adapted to the area, it's a nice detail, although I agree with Marge on the usage of rice and eggplants. I come from a wet, cool, montanious region where regular wheat doesn't thrive or grow. Instead here we cultivate "escanda", triticum dicoccoides, a wheat variety more adapted to our climate (at least we used to until it got replaced by corn). It's resistant to cold and to fungal diseases, making it able to hold on a higher amount of water and lower temperatures than regular wheat. Another variety resistant to humidity is emmer wheat.

Chestnuts are another option if you want to add more variety to your food supplies. They can be cultivated or recolected in the forest and provide a fatty seed that can be grounded to make flour, gruel and scones.

View attachment 11209

What we call "berzas" and google translate names collard green would be a perfect fit as well. Related to cabbage, kale and broccoli, it has very big leaves that can be used in stews, soups and such as a nutrituos filler. It is also useful for feeding cattle. They usually grow with a bit of a stem.

View attachment 11208

You also have peas, leek (which grows on the same areas as onions can), apples, pears, chard, spinach... In general I would advise leaning heavy on the leafy greens, keeping in mind that there are grains and wheat varieties able to resists the climate of Cape Warth.​
This is great fb guys, thank you. I know nothing about plants so this is really helpful

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Homiesucc.
Thanks for the hard work putting this application together, it's always great to see an abandoned project get some attention (my first project was picking up Wull which had been abandoned too).

I'm parsing through the document now and will take a look at the style guide and tests you've put together. Would be handy if you could post some screenshots of the tests/models that you're thinking about using.

Would be good to see how you've progressed with developing your ideas for the castle. Given the project's proximity to Mistwood it would make sense to me that it would be one of the key style influences. As with any abandoned project I like to encourage incorporating any completed builds where possible, but if Bol's castle really is outdated/inconsistent with nearby projects then I would be ok with it getting replaced.

Bol's castle could be moved to /warp orphanage when construction starts.

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her
Hey Homiesucc.
Thanks for the hard work putting this application together, it's always great to see an abandoned project get some attention (my first project was picking up Wull which had been abandoned too).

I'm parsing through the document now and will take a look at the style guide and tests you've put together. Would be handy if you could post some screenshots of the tests/models that you're thinking about using.

Would be good to see how you've progressed with developing your ideas for the castle. Given the project's proximity to Mistwood it would make sense to me that it would be one of the key style influences. As with any abandoned project I like to encourage incorporating any completed builds where possible, but if Bol's castle really is outdated/inconsistent with nearby projects then I would be ok with it getting replaced.

Bol's castle could be moved to /warp orphanage when construction starts.
I'm taking a small break from the server so ill show the tests soon, in terms of the castle, Bol's is really nice, just not nice for bolling imo. it uses the same insp as a castle on the opposite side of the stormlands, and as aeks has said bran castle would look nicer for where it is.Being more modern (in terms of building style) couldn't hurt either. theres ofcoourse other problems with the castle that i cant remember since i havent been on for like a week but yeah

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I don't think I specifically mentioned Bran, but maybe someone else did.

The main issue with Bolling castle to me rn is its bridge and its gradient. The execution of the ints could be better as well, as the main towers have large empty pockets and many small, monotonous bedchambers. With new blocks and greater use of halfdoors it could be brilliant, though I'd love to see what you can come up with as an alternative too!

Reactions: Homiesucc

Gealrüable

Royal Messenger
Despite my first impression, most of bran castle does seem to be actually (late) medieval, with minor renevations (mostly on the interior) being done at the beginning of the 20th century. It would be good inspiration.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Only issue with Bran Castle as insp is that you would have to make it not seem like Dyre Den, which currently also uses Bran as inspiration. Of course, its not 1:1, but bear that in mind.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hey all, I'm a bit late to the party but I was reading up on what's going on with various projects and was wondering from where we got the notion that the Stormlands are cold.
According to canon, the Rainwood has trees like Cedar, Hemlock, Maple, Oak and Redwood (and some Westerosi specific ones). While Hemlock, Maple and Oak don't help much with approximating the climate, Cedar and Redwood are interesting because both primarily grow in Mediterranean climates with hot summers.

Canon also indicates summers are hot in the Stormlands:
Even at Storm's End, with that good wind off the bay, the days are so hot you can barely move.

Regarding the project itself; in the application it's noted that wood would likely rot quickly in the moist Rainwood. However, Oak and Cedar are both very durable and can last quite long in moist conditions (roughly 15+ years with direct ground contact, without maintenance). Without direct contact with the ground both oak and cedar can last a lot longer. Keep in mind that in an area as the Mistwood, where wood is in abundance, replacing rotted wood is a non-issue as it grows literally around the corner and as a result, would be much cheaper than stone.

Homiesucc

Herald
Pronouns
she/her
Only issue with Bran Castle as insp is that you would have to make it not seem like Dyre Den, which currently also uses Bran as inspiration. Of course, its not 1:1, but bear that in mind.
Just from what I've seen of DD the castles look nothing alike, or at least I'd like to make it a lot more accurate
Hey all, I'm a bit late to the party but I was reading up on what's going on with various projects and was wondering from where we got the notion that the Stormlands are cold.

According to canon, the Rainwood has trees like Cedar, Hemlock, Maple, Oak and Redwood (and some Westerosi specific ones). While Hemlock, Maple and Oak don't help much with approximating the climate, Cedar and Redwood are interesting because both primarily grow in Mediterranean climates with hot summers.

Canon also indicates summers are hot in the Stormlands:
Even at Storm's End, with that good wind off the bay, the days are so hot you can barely move.

Regarding the project itself; in the application it's noted that wood would likely rot quickly in the moist Rainwood. However, Oak and Cedar are both very durable and can last quite long in moist conditions (roughly 15+ years with direct ground contact, without maintenance). Without direct contact with the ground both oak and cedar can last a lot longer. Keep in mind that in an area as the Mistwood, where wood is in abundance, replacing rotted wood is a non-issue as it grows literally around the corner and as a result, would be much cheaper than stone.
sounds good

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
Okay so two potential castles for bolling, bran or a more eastern european keep with a wall, which do people think would be more appropriate?
You know my opinion. Stone keep and gatehouse with wooden buildings and wall.
P.S. visited plan for this variant, like it! In my opinion such less structualised, fort-like structure fits Bolling well both as not wealthy landed knights' hold and its location in the middle of Rainwood!

Last edited:
Reactions: Gealrüable

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I'm fine with either, but stone for the larger towers/keep is also very good! Reinforces the idea that wood is the most abundant resource in the area.
The stone version is brilliant proof of concept. Maybe it could be kept for Horpe, Rainhouse or Broad Arch?

Reactions: Guillaaard