Approved Central Westerlands megabuild (Tarbeck Hall, Sarsfield, Oxcross, Hornvale) by lemonbear

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
A bit of an update:

• The Oxcross part of my project is starting to wind down! There are just two minis (a shepherd farm complex and a logging camp/lumber mill) and a few barn plots left to do. The plots are open to anyone interested!
  • Sfham3 has several plots, special and normal, available! Please DM me (on here, on Discord, in-game) if you're interested in special plots. I don't generally see blocks indicating interest directly on the plots unless they're called to my attention. Btw, the stable is a regular plot, no need to ask for permission.
  • Sarsfield has new plots! Most are open for anyone to build. There are also several minis available: a quarry/mine and a septry hospital. If anyone is interested in finishing bobbycatfisher's farm (sffarm1), please let me know. I'm treating it like a special build, so no app necessary.
  • Building in Hornvale's town is going well! There are more plots available in the area in front of the castle, including a special build water mill. I should be able to open up more minis in the area soon-ish.

Current available minis:

/warp sffarm4 - A farm complex that raises sheep, has a sheepfold, and uses the pastures on the opposite side of the road. They also take their herds to some of the high mountain pastures for grazing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_transhumance).

/warp sfquarry - The quarry from the original Sarsfield project. The quarry/mines themselves need serious updates, and auxiliary buildings (including storage, a smelter, and anything else) need to be added.

/warp sfseptry - A septry built by the Tarbecks during their prime. This one is in much better repair than the septry on the border with Drox because Sarsfield aided the Lannisters against the revolt. Primarily houses septons, but there are a few septas (including silent sisters for tending the dead). The septry has a large garden with medicinal herbs and functions as a hospital.

/warp sflogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. The camp is located right at the edge of a pretty big forest, and they sell wood and logs in the nearby communities and to the septry.

/warp hvlogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. They practice selective logging and supply lumber throughout Hornvale lands. The camp should have permanent (or at least long term) structures/buildings rather than tents.

/warp hvgate2 - A gatehouse guarding the southern entrance into Brax lands from the Gold Road. Style should be similar (not necessarily identical) to hvgate.

/warp hvfarm1 - A farm complex that produces a lot of agriculture. Primarily wheat, barley, and oats, but they also have other smaller crops.

/warp hvfarm2 - A flax farm. You have the freedom to plan that side of the river if you want.

Last edited:

Vinnie

Playwright
Hey Lem! Hope you're doing amazing this New Year!

I would very much like to present to you my application for the mini @ /warp sfseptry

My initial idea for this build is to demonstrate a large to medium sized structure with handsome architecture and lots of elegant landscaping. Inspiration is derived from a random internet search through Italian monasteries and convents.
Some examples include:

IMG_1244.JPGIMG_1245.JPGIMG_1246.JPGIMG_1247.JPGIMG_1248.JPG

I wasn't sure if the septry was supposed to be built by the Tarbecks during the founding of their house when they might have controlled more wealth or after their union to house Reyne when they recovered much of their power and holdings. At any rate, I have included elements such as large dead trees that might suggest that this structure has been in place a long time. The sept is fairly large and I am considering having it host beds and surgeon's tables as an extension of the hospital. The build also features a sizable terraced garden surrounded by a low rock wall with an elegant staircase which represents the prosperity of the septry. Here are some images that demonstrate more aesthetic features of my proposed build:

courtyard.pngsept facade.pngterrace stairs.pngFull view.png

Below is also an overview plan of the septry I would like to build:
Layout.png
As always, all plans proposed are a WIP and I would greatly value feedback and comments for the betterment of my build. You can view the test @ /warp playground and fly South East. Feel free to leave your responses here or in melon form at the test.

Hope you like, Lem, and I hope to have the pleasure of working with you on the Westerlands Mega Build project once again.

<3 Ser Vinnie

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Vinnie : This overall looks great! Just two notes, only one of which I would like you to work on before I give my approval:
  • I'm not really a fan of "church septs." Can you try to change the shape of the sept so it is more heptagonal? A different shape might also help integrate the bell tower a bit better.
  • Don't be afraid to take up more space for the terraced gardens! Might be nice to have it extend a bit more to the sides, but that's something we could figure out once you start building in-context.

Reactions: Vinnie

Tobi

Poet
Hey Lem,

I would like to apply for the Quarry mini. And wanted to ask if I should keep the terra as it is or redesign it to.

Joseph

Bard
Hey lem! congrats for all the progress in your megaproject! Actually I like the style that you choose.
For that I'm glad to apply for a mini at Sarsfield (/warp sffarm4) which is a sheep farm
hope you like it!2022-02-06_16.19.08.png2022-02-06_16.21.06.png2022-02-06_16.21.23.png2022-02-06_16.21.52.png

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Tobi : Feel free to change the terra (within reason)! Looking forward to the app!

JosephUnderlight : Thanks for your interest in the farm! Unfortunately, this doesn't fit what I was going for with the mini. It should be a farm complex with work buildings, a main residence, a barn, a sheepfold, etc., rather than just a field with a barn.

Reactions: Joseph

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Just a few recommendations with sheep farming, it would be good to have a wooden or stone platform, something easily cleaneable as the spot where shearing is done. Fleeces are a bugger to clean and to have hold together, so its best to do the shearing on a clean spot. I've always worked on wooden platforms and the lanolin from the wool seeps into the floor boards, essentially polishing them. I've also seen shearing done on stone and concrete though, but only after its been swept.
Shearing over dirt will increase the amount of rinses in urine and chemical washes needed to clean it, not to mention pick up 'dags', faecal matter.
tl;dr have shearing done on a clean/cleanable platform and you never want fleece on the dirt

Shearing sheds also usually were not used as barns much when not being used for shearing, but instead were clean storage areas of wool bales, tools, basically anything that needed to be kept dry and away from animals.

Additionally, having wool washing and combing might be more industries to fill out the complex that Lemon is asking for. This is particularly disgusting and nasty work to clean fleeces and prepare them for yarn making. Its vital to the process, though. Also means that you could have storage for thread. Now some building tips.
Since its a larger farm, I'd suggest thinking of having a fine wool sheep with very delicate fleece. The best way to represent this is an airier pattern for the block than the straight lines of Mance's snowbear tent block. I've used various plasters before, with wattle 'bales' around the side and horizontal netting on top to look like the latest fleece thrown on. Or, using white or dirty white wool with horizontal netting. Experiment with what works for you.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Small update!

I've opened some new plots in Hornvale lands, as well as some minis!

Current available minis:

/warp sffarm4 - A farm complex that raises sheep, has a sheepfold, and uses the pastures on the opposite side of the road. They also take their herds to some of the high mountain pastures for grazing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_transhumance).

/warp sfquarry - The quarry from the original Sarsfield project. The quarry/mines themselves need serious updates, and auxiliary buildings (including storage, a smelter, and anything else) need to be added.

/warp sflogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. The camp is located right at the edge of a pretty big forest, and they sell wood and logs in the nearby communities and to the septry.

/warp hvlogging - A logging camp with accompanying lumber mill. They practice selective logging and supply lumber throughout Hornvale lands. The camp should have permanent (or at least long term) structures/buildings rather than tents.

/warp hvgate2 - A gatehouse guarding the southern entrance into Brax lands from the Gold Road. Style should be similar (not necessarily identical) to hvgate.

/warp hvfarm1 - A farm complex that produces a lot of agriculture. Primarily wheat, barley, and oats, but they also have other smaller crops.

/warp hvfarm2 - A flax farm. You have the freedom to plan that side of the river if you want.

/warp hvham1 - A farming hamlet. 6-7 houses.

/warp hvseptry - A septry inspired by the Chiesa di Santa Maria del Castello in Giornico. Think terraces.