Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Fin

Playwright
I volunteer for both updating and making the textures.
(I believe we could copy and slightly modify a ton of blocks from our friends over at Ardacraft, which already have similar varieties of timber frames/brick patterns/etc.)

Edit: After having given it some more thought, I think it would be best to just introduce a couple select things from stoops post for now, which either compliment an already existing set (i.e. northern wood expansions, perhaps more 'tip' blocks for bedrock/wood), or OT related blocks, like plasters (and wash).
Meanwhile we put the timbers and all the rest on a long-term list of new blocks which we only get access to after a certain mile-stone is reached (dunno..: all major builds are done and we want to direct the general work-force towards updating existing major builds like KL, for instance). Otherwise we're just repeating the cycle of map-redos.
That being said, I still volunteer for both texture-work and updating :D

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey, sorry for the delayed response, finally got some time on the train to look this over completely.

Thanks a lot for the detailed post, I know you've done a lot of research into this and I think all of the blocks would make beautiful additions.

However, I 100% agree with what Inf and Tham said in response:

After having given it some more thought, I think it would be best to just introduce a couple select things from stoops post for now, which either compliment an already existing set (i.e. northern wood expansions, perhaps more 'tip' blocks for bedrock/wood), or OT related blocks, like plasters (and wash).

Meanwhile we put the timbers and all the rest on a long-term list of new blocks which we only get access to after a certain mile-stone is reached (dunno..: all major builds are done and we want to direct the general work-force towards updating existing major builds like KL, for instance). Otherwise we're just repeating the cycle of map-redos.
I think if we add this it should be at the 100% mark and then with a concerted effort of everyone.

Now is simply not the time for such ground-breaking additions as new timber designs and colors. It would instantly outdate everything, including King's Landing but also Fairmarket, Bitterbridge, etc. And even though we do have a team of volunteers, I think you all underestimate the task it would be updating KL just by itself, and worst case is the task is abandoned out of lack of motivation leaving KL a complete mess which nobody wants to touch.

Some colored d&w blocks being added if we do a Gulltown redo before 100% completion is something I've considered, but in this case they would be very tightly restrained to at most the Vale, which should be more feasible to update due to it being a small self-contained region with no other significant town builds.

Now, if you have things which can be done through updates to the daub & wattle we have currently, I'd be happy to try them. I attempted doing some vertical CTM in the past, but it didn't look so good on existing houses. Maybe something else will work though.

About some of the other suggestions:

- The lack of northern wood half door/hopper blocks is actually something I noticed; you're right that it's nonsensical and that's why I already included those in the coming update :)

- What's a scenario in which vertical wood would be useful, but halfdoors don't work? I'm presuming corners?

- Paintings/Tapestries are somewhat of a technical thing, because minecraft paintings are entities and I don't think WesterosBlocks has support for those. But, it probably does make sense to add paintings as blocks, similar to star charts. In which case I'll port over the existing paintings and add new ones as people contribute textures/samples for them. The block replace script won't work on entities, so we'd just have to gradually replace vanilla paintings as we come across them.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
You raise a good point. I didn't know it was a religious symbol, I thought it was more of a stylistic representation of a lily with no other religious meaning.

There's a possibility that the "Gardener Hand" or the Tyrell Rose could serve as a stand-in for Fleur De Lis and used for older structures in The Reach from the days of the First Men and early days of the Post-Targ Invasion respectively.

Enah

Skinchanger
well, since we're all on this new kick, i wouldn't mind the idea of painted stones similar to the dornish mosaics blocks. ont maybe varying between 2wide and 3 tall, or 1x3 with knights or mythic beasts on them. they could be applied in like places where stone is very common as a building material and where painters would be more common? idk, just a thiought that popped in my head

Emileld

Messenger
I'd like to suggest something that has been trotting on my mind for... well, years.
Red and white shutters. Now, some of you might say "where is this coming from?", but here's a lot of examples:
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/cas...-fortress-towers-ramparts-canals-32696575.jpg
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/his...itte-blinden-gorinchem-nederland-92232438.jpg
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/0e16e1b2f...e-of-stockalper-castle-brig-valais-dfb0n9.jpg
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...p6KlNYxorQnbGjlIWsVWt_JC95hO6l6-w3BJJBkBGT7dG
https://images.robertharding.com/preview/RM/RH/HORIZONTAL/832-79999.jpg
http://www.takinbetz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ABAC-REGENSBURG-CLOCK-TOWER-SALT-HOUSE1.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe....jpg/1200px-Nuernberg_Burg_Panorama_PtGUI.jpg

It seems to be a very common feature in Germany/Switzerland, and I think it'd be nice to have them for the Vale. But eh, it's just an idea, and I realize it may be a bit late to add such a block.

Reactions: Fin

Fin

Playwright
Just à propos shutters, would it be sensible to retexture the colorful shutters to look more like painted wood? Currently they seem rather pristine and almost modern, as if they are made of aluminium and then lacquered.

(If people think this is a good idea I'll provide the texture.. I'm afraid we're plastering emot with too much stuff rn :D)

Pic: Blue shutters in France.
1024px-Window_with_blue_shutters.JPG

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Just à propos shutters, would it be sensible to retexture the colorful shutters to look more like painted wood? Currently they seem rather pristine and almost modern, as if they are made of aluminium and then lacquered.

(If people think this is a good idea I'll provide the texture.. I'm afraid we're plastering emot with too much stuff rn :D)

Pic: Blue shutters in France.
1024px-Window_with_blue_shutters.JPG

Not to shit on your suggestion, but I wouldn't call that a well maintained building. The paintjob is about half a decade overdue.

Usually you'd paint your shutters for the sake of maintenance; painted wood lasts longer due to the paint sealing the material, protecting it from moisture and other shit that harms wood. A layer of paint as thin as that window has, has absolutely no function besides giving it an old-timey look. Depending on the type of wood used, that shutter already is or will be beyond saving if it won't be properly maintained soon.