Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
We hear from either Varys or Qyburn that the Queen of Thorns keeps a stock of Gardener coins so perhaps there's a room, like the dragon skull room in the RK, where the Tyrells keep some of their old liege's stuff.

Keeping a stock is something entirely different than actually decorating a room with objects of your former overlord. If someone has to store banners, they wouldn't hang them on a wall but would rather put them in a chest or on a shelf. I doubt the tyrells have a cozy room decorated with Gardener nostalgia.

For riverlands all I’d have would be Tully, Frey, and Mallister. If you add Blackwood, you’d need to also add Bracken so suddenly you’ve got a lotta banners.

Adding Bracken and Blackwood banners would make sense from a rpg point of view, I'm pretty sure we have a questline planned involving the two. It would be cool if the holdings of either house are marked with a recognisable flag that could be replaced by that of the rivalling house, if the questline involves taking holdings from either party. For that reason, Blackwood and Bracken banners would make more sense to me than Mallister banners.

Sorry but i’m a bit confused on this, is it possible to add textures to existing blocks? Was thinking for breads, we could add a dark brown rye loaf to add some variety in kitchens and houses. We could do the same for the herbs block (stuff like this https://goo.gl/images/PpamRV) and for the onion block (add carrots or beans perhaps).

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
hanging garlic. its a mistake i've made and I used to work in a grocery store. and yes the block looks nothing like onions as its white.

Reactions: Enah

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
also not a good idea for ripe beans to be hanging as the riper they get the more likely the pods will split. perhaps a bushel of wheat, barley etc, or more root vegetals

Ben

Poet
Another cool idea could be a randomization for the weirwood face block. Not all weirwoods were carved with the same face, and I believe only one is named as crying red sap. A laughing weirwood is even mentioned as the design on a shield. Different styles of faces with different emotions could really add a nice touch to godswoods.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Another cool idea could be a randomization for the weirwood face block. Not all weirwoods were carved with the same face, and I believe only one is named as crying red sap. A laughing weirwood is even mentioned as the design on a shield. Different styles of faces with different emotions could really add a nice touch to godswoods.

Great idea, I could have a go at making some.

On the subject of randomised textures, if we're considering adding in a whole bunch of new House banners, we could have a single Great House and Noble House banner block that were each randomised. It would be hell to place them, but we wouldn't really be doing it that often and it would stop the inventory from getting too cluttered.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Great idea, I could have a go at making some.

On the subject of randomised textures, if we're considering adding in a whole bunch of new House banners, we could have a single Great House and Noble House banner block that were each randomised. It would be hell to place them, but we wouldn't really be doing it that often and it would stop the inventory from getting too cluttered.

Can't disagree more with this idea. Our current painting system is pure torture and this would be similar, if not the same. I'd rather have a new tab with heraldry or scroll through a couple of banners.

Last edited:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I propose a range of new blocks and additions of blocks that we already have, that give us the ability to create more vibrant, characteristic and colourful buildings.

Timber frame & plaster
Timber frame is a popular block on the server known as daub & wattle. Currently it consists of four different patterns and a clean daub block. I’d like to add several new patterns and introduce more colours, each of which will be available in a plaster block as well.

Three different types of blocks;
  • Timber frame, basically our daub and wattle blocks with extra shapes and colours, will go into this later in this post.
  • Plaster, a relatively smooth plaster block similar to the ones we already have.
  • Wash, a block which has stone faintly visible.
All types will have similar colours. The colours I propose are:
  • Green
  • Light green
  • Red
  • Yellow
  • Blue
  • Light blue
  • White
  • Brown
New patterns; curved saltire, diamond, curved diamond, close studding, herringbone, clover and fleur de lis for timber frame blocks;
  • Curved saltire |}{|, a (higher class) variation of the saltire pattern that we already have (the one that goes |x|).
  • Diamond |<>|, a very common decorative pattern.
  • Curved diamond |{}|, a (higher class) variation of the diamond pattern.
  • Close studding ||||, a very common style, especially in England.
  • Herringbone |/|\|, similar to close studding, except with diagonal beams.
  • Quatrefoil |♧|, a decorative pattern resembling a four leaf clover.
  • Fleur de lis |⚜|, a decorative pattern resembling a fleur de lis.
Other suggestions for timber frame blocks;
  • Change the name, daub and wattle refers to the infill rather than the studding.
  • Northen wood timber colour, black(ish) timber frames seem to be a rather common phenomenon.
  • Herringbone brick, an infill of diagonally placed bricks.
  • Vertical CTM, tall timber frames seem to be more common than wide timber frame.
Wood blocks
Lately I’m seeing more and more builders using halfdoors to represent vertical wood. I suggest to make an actual vertical wood block.
  • Vertical wood, in the colours oak, birch, spruce, jungle and northern wood, and possibly in the various coloured wood blocks as well.
  • Northern wood halfdoor and hopper, honestly I don’t really understand why we don’t have it.
More glass
All of Westeros currently has the same diamond shaped window panes. There is a large variety of coloured glass, which can’t really be used in houses.
  • Diamond pane, which we already have, but I’d like to see a more homogenous/simple representation, rather than the setup we have now.
  • Circle pane, which uses circular pieces of glass.
  • Rectangle pane, which uses rectangular pieces of glass.
  • Forest glass, possibly in the three variations mentioned above, but in a more greenish colour. This type of glass would be more common in wooded areas and in lower class buildings (forest glass is cheaper to make, but has less quality than normal glass).
  • Stained glass, in a couple variations, like alternating stained glass and normal glass or a pane version of the sept window block we have.
Interior blocks
With the recent attention to interior detail, I think it is a good idea to introduce a line of new blocks for interior walls and decoration.
  • Patterned plaster, in different variations resembling patterns like diamonds and squares, and different sceneries like forests, deserts, plains and seas with CTM.
  • Rectangular panelling, because seeing the same vertical panelling in every castle gets a bit tiresome. Besides, this type of panelling seems to be common in medieval castles.
  • Tapestries, which we already have a couple of, but I think there should be more. If possible, these wouldn’t depend on the painting block anymore but are individual blocks so you actually get what you want on the first placement. Various sizes would be nice.
  • Paintings, which we already have a couple of, but I think there should be more. If possible, these wouldn’t depend on the painting block anymore but are individual blocks so you actually get what you want on the first placement. Various sizes would be nice, like a 3x3 or 3x2 painting that can be hung above the medium sized type of fireplace.
Implementation
“This will outdate everything!”
To some degree, yes. However, I think it wouldn’t be enormously disastrous. The only place I can come up with that would be more outdated than it already is, is Kingslanding due to the timber frames. The other new blocks would be used regionally.

Therefore, I volunteer to update the exteriors of all timber framed buildings in Kingslanding and any other project that would be disproportionately outdated by the implementation of these blocks.

I'm also more than willing to help designing the blocks, although my experience is microsoft paint.

Here are some pictures to give an idea.
LlN4dS-I6NTnRj6F02fchmwiW4OsIdDIMciL4KOIHlL4Jo6zPyAJRkelF7Iad3sn8MhlbRh2V3cITS4Bixtaq27Iwiwv-zFjeOoKWlWneHrQI8tVTZ_NruSoT5vggZAIKHDeD_sI

Left to right; a variant of diamond studding, close studding, a variant of diamond studding, herringbone studding & saltire studding.

7CzX_QgP5fCUJ2WhcYI6lMnGZE1c9qAwngJ9M7FBGL9-W0RBfW9vvVqkO2_f3ClodlrvANWZ0aKg1hkTHoEdJ3mhge6Eb7fhgi1MCvYpVEhfDQ4PfRfsHsQQ3MXLxSewrXgm__qM

Curved diamond on the second house.

uIgXQQNbC6Kty7qP4E7yNgf3eq-AJ0S0HK1nerhMgcAcXQW5fx2Z9JnuI0PD7ARVaqVUb9jl7wntregjgZuU3dCJ6hKtUFQ8v7gR9y4LQZro1aEWn8gYDR2P28A9Q7m9Q1VSo7fo

Barely visible, but herringbone brick infill combined with regular brick infill.

_uGEScJ-cDlKN_du-AjbTzN3F7RCX82HzfTe7zopWjkd0ErutVO1Y5tjr9DMm1UIx0dLpWskg8uRbBJUtXVZps-TOC2Im2PdXlsFKdLzH3MzmNiKMhTWCoPOUBJ2qQ9YF6nuTa5e

Four leaf clover studding, close studding and a variant of diagonal studding/herringbone.

eJs-SSbwMFk0ayLB_8x-z2KBuil3xuv5STsAWx3gb9xq7qtilRe36cfyXSDCTTMGYb_QizLJ2FWffQxrNqtNRdT4Ae6yYC4FIcOsaU2IUxhFh13CCRZv8Tyac3IxgBsECAJ8JMGk

Different colours of plaster.

tiQs6FMRAmAyE_TixBxDNfYBQqtbkZZiJVrXJ4i8qzDpfVUiym_jJqRo3wG5fm3sz_6a7J75hRKQrUc1hMQ2nbpSteIJKQOpENGCcN_LryJN-0zqmdBiaGpMdYzLAo2g_I2BTLBh

Basket weave framing with herringbone brick infill. The windows use various colours of stained glass panes.

T9lf9VTe1Foy4UUFKky4zOB7N9xES4tDgcyAZGIlAYVqw7oqBIsZVXRuwn6BVlS4-ZBFMxgGDQlVjg4bJEYl4_nImj77mExIlp4g23Aen24-6H8tCCqYlwhyCoMMB-Do_oGjjctL

Close studding.

QzzhrCS-eOhxavxpr7l3lnI27D8IegElURlIFo5GzGh9J-3jKl3fmIbF5qes2dBTLd_EqNAtTx-U2YQvjdJ4ERcL5CCKZ2WFpq4euiVCcB3GuhhErsyRhkGVzu2J1GTda9_EJdS2

Close studding, herringbone brick infill.

MDiC-OTa1b_kDDGYnG3P8uQtWwb7al2Lr5Bn0ZdbqJJ1z9DE_bOVR7jxjXV3v4yNVBG3WhiGhzBKK3DXB36hz_BExyWvGAkmty1TImfjKZrZ36Q740Pls0sPGwLUFeuvcY-uTym3

Curved saltire.

tRrTdSJAz5meA6HNnlEwC9RqtbB95NbyVdVtlkdBCRpTP2V4s-tZGmbanTN6y7nx38uMzEEbCeHvO9H6sDQBIQgTuzLQZ6rwprjkZvo7fbZenZszK5mnwwJvCnMxjI_qhDmvYtA1

Curved diamond, four leaf clover, herringbone and close studding.

YDguVkU5BXl4zlvjlqxKii4g0yT1lyL3LPySMH47p-Vn5_W4IfYsA21BrUtf4up0y1hViN8Ymcx5qf61LSGPRtpdb6Ge_rRbpZ9suJsbKQ5gpi35DLbmOUiX8mGDX1kaeuKYYRbf

Herringbone brick infill.

L5Sgf6a2v7s7Lq94yOCRcMdMZvioy_LJKSJvYvLezJM0agb4JnKrocENBHzaIB_3TDIlFF-f-uYxlsF6I1ZoBJ669e7k0qs3BYqhJKw6PdtpeH7NSklusgexeL5rlS-6bDdmagae

Round glass panes, yellow colour.

__VNSczUmYl8GJN2Kf6JvpGI-Kq95Q3zJGlqmF-dPQbaBy4Jj1qg0gJxn_hUEY5tbwQ_X_WdY9wY2HNeePWMpIaP_-sKi1B_maOA3OrsowBCtFhPogHC_v7_apzKeXV95lS4PaXq

Regular glass and stained glass alternating.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Would a Fleur De Lis fit in Westeros?

Fleur De Lis has a very specific meaning in our world (religious symbol of the monarchy commonly associate with the French Royal Family and also associated with several Catholic saints) and I'm not sure that would fit in a canon where the Faith's specific symbol is a seven pointed star and the closest in-lore equivalent to the French Royal Family uses a rose as their sigil rather than a lily/iris.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Would a Fleur De Lis fit in Westeros?

Fleur De Lis has a very specific meaning in our world (religious symbol of the monarchy commonly associate with the French Royal Family and also associated with several Catholic saints) and I'm not sure that would fit in a canon where the Faith's specific symbol is a seven pointed star and the closest in-lore equivalent to the French Royal Family uses a rose as their sigil rather than a lily/iris.

You raise a good point. I didn't know it was a religious symbol, I thought it was more of a stylistic representation of a lily with no other religious meaning.

Reactions: SseriousBusiness