Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
I guess you're referring to Valyrian Stone? I'd like to request wall, fence and arrow slits then :p
fde3d91aba.jpg

Reactions: Veggie and Howy

Howy

Royal Messenger
Big Texture Request (maybe Tham or Cash or somebody can do it as a side thing):

New paintings! Pleaseeeee. As in, redoing the ones we currently have. The styles are all super different and just very blurry versions of larger images half the time. We've had them since the beginning of WC, I think its time we got some paintings worthy of our other awesome textures (which scheme and colour/palette wise fit in with our texture pack).

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
We should test that changing them replaces them one to one and doesn't reset the ones we've placed i.e. turning shields into arbitrary 1*1 paintings.
I'm happy to give some of the smaller motifs a go but again I don't have time to do much of the research. So if y'all could compile a list of 'westeros-historic' events or people that would be cast on canvas that would speed this up significantly. Or tapestry for that matter.. are paintings actually canon?

It's odd, I can't seem to recall nor find (on search of ice and fire) any mention of 'paintings' although a ton of other objects are clearly painted or dyed: tents, the canvas of sails, vests, shields, thread of myrrish carpets, boats, wood, statues, you name it. But never is there explicit mention of something along the lines of "Ned admired the dusty painting of Winterfell".

Portraits are mentioned but the context is ambiguous as to whether they are 'woven' or really painted canvas. There is one clear mention of an explicitly woven portrait in Jamie IV - A feast for crows, but the other mentions are either world of ice and fire, portrait in a more figurative sense, and that one nefarious chapter of Winds of winter: Arrianne I. /shrug

Edit: Oh and when you do give suggestions, please compile some canon details or at least give references.. I don't wanna have to research what or how a certain event was described...(again it just encroaches on the precious 2h of the week that I can spend on this)

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwan

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Baelor's being built, Battle on the Blackwater during the Dance, Redgrass field, Hunting scene x2, updated shield texture, Aegon I portrait, Daeron II portrait.
just some ideas

Prisinorzero

Messenger
There’s paintings of Garth Greenhand according to the world of ice and fire, but that may just be Elio and Linda as right after that they talk about corn so take it how you want

Attachments

• 6D5F1A66-5CDE-473B-BCD8-EF9D6AFB72E8.jpeg
    6D5F1A66-5CDE-473B-BCD8-EF9D6AFB72E8.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 7

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Could we base the paintings on actual medieval paintings rather than the renaissance painting frenzy from which most of our known paintings are from?

Really think having some "Nachtwacht" style painting hanging in a lords chamber would break immersion of the medieval world we're trying to create.

Could we also focus on making ambiguous paintings (or preferably tapestries) which portray something that would feel natural everywhere? I very much doubt the people in the Reach would be too enthousiastic about the sept of Baelor, nor would anyone have a painting of the Blackwater because it hasnt occured yet on our server. Portrets would be fine, but for the love of the Old Gods and the new, please no Targaryens because I very much doubt a lot of the lords would have them.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
It'd be cool to have a depiction of this passage from The Seven-Pointed Star, which is the holy text of the Faith of the Seven:

The Father reached his hand into the heavens and pulled down seven stars and one by one he set them on the brow of Hugor of the Hill to make a glowing crown...

Prisinorzero

Messenger
Some really great examples of medieval art here that I think we should incorporate. I particularly like the one of the woman looking nonplussed with a sword through her neck

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The Battle during the dance that results in the destruction of Spicetown and hightide is what I meant

mdmeaux

Envoy
Just a thought: would it be possible to update the texture for vanilla stone bricks? Right now they look quite outdated, I'm not sure why, and you don't see them used much any more. Provided they keep the same basic shape and palette it shouldn't cause any problems, and it would help some older builds look a bit less outdated.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I’ve tried to do that in various ways, but haven’t settled on anything I like. Also, I see the block used occasionally for ornamental uses in recent builds.

Reactions: Veggie

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Texture request: can we have a small layer of appropriately coloured bricks at the bottom of the furnace blocks? Just so that when the furnace block is lit it doesn't look like it's going to burn whatever is in front of it (i.e. a wooden floor). This would make it a lot more versatile as an interior block than it currently is.

Attached: a shitty demonstration of what I mean

Enah

Skinchanger
I don't want new paintings if they'll replace the exisiting, many rooms and places I and I'm sure several others were designed around or for incorporating what we new. I'd rather we have WesterosDeco ones in addition to the current ones

There’s paintings of Garth Greenhand according to the world of ice and fire, but that may just be Elio and Linda as right after that they talk about corn so take it how you want
so you know, corn is english for grain of any type. they don't refer to maize which is a new world food.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Just on the corn point, I think we have established in the past that GRRM is referring to maize when he says corn. There are multiple times across the series where he has mentioned corn in the same sentence as other grain crops "fields of wheat and corn and barley" (ACOK, Arya IV) "oats and corn and barley" (AFFC, Alayne I). He references corn as an individual food item as opposed to a grain "Three corns and one roast raven" and probably most tellingly he specifically uses the term sweetcorn on multiple occasions, to remove any ambiguity - "They roasted the sweetcorn in the husk that night, turning the ears with long forked sticks, and ate it hot right off the cob." (ACOK, Arya III).

I've always found it strange that we have consistently chosen to ignore this obvious canon for years, simply because it contradicts the notion of Westeros as medieval Europe. For a server that praises itself for sticking to canon, we do know how to ignore it when it isn't convenient.

(This isn't an attack on anybody or a texture request, it's just something that has been bugging me for years that I wanted to set the matter straight on).