Approved Project Application: House Cobb by InvertedWinger and JJLyric

JJLyric

Playwright
Pronouns
he/him
Okay! so after talking the aeks today I we thought it would be nice to have a workshop separate from the village itself (possibly a mini). The reasoning behind this is that with the fields near the village it would still make the journey to carry resources from the fields to the market to the use the looms and even after all that the products made aren't clearly being sold. To counter this we could make the workshop in the region of the fields and then we can have the space where the workshop is now (in the village) for a few stalls selling the products made.

Another points is the space. The space in cobb lands is very in need of some life. The yeoman houses witch are currently in the village could be nearer the land that they own and there could also be a few farm houses (1 or 2) scattered around the lands to add some flavour wich I saw being done in Hammerhall.

Also its probably due for an update:

- We are redoing the castle because we think we can do a much better job than the previous version. The terra around it is in progress. The main inspiration for the new castle will be Ozalj Castle.
Ozalj_Castle_Aerial_view.jpg
- The forests are mostly finished apart from the part around the castle.
- All the current minis are done.
- The main village is 95% finished.

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hiya, I've been checking out your forest. I think it's a nice start, but there are definitely things that need improving. I'll go through and list them so it's easy to pick out.

- The ground mix transition outside the forest
- The tree mix
- The forest edge
- The ground cover

So, the current ground mix looks very messy. There are spots with no trees, but fallen leaves on the ground.

The tree species are quite monocultural in the full forest. I suggest varying that a lot more. Add some young pines on the edge, and some more broadleaf trees as you get to older sections. This goes into my next point about a transition.

I think there could be a more natural transition into the forest. I've attached an image of a good forest transition guide.image-asset (1).jpg
The ground cover could include more bushes and more 2 high plants. Also, make sure you don't have plants growing on dirt and fallen leaves, as in real life they wouldn't.

Overall, I'd avoid scripting forests, and try your hand at making them by hand.

A quick update.

Unfortunately we are gonna be putting this project on hold for the time being. The reason is that we both just have had no motivation or inspiration to continue working on the project as of late.

As for myself, I'm also gonna be taking a break from playing on the server as it has been very tiring lately and has felt more like a job than a hobby. I hope to find some motivation in the time I'm gonna be gone to be able to get back to working with passion on the server.
I’m still gonna hop on vc when I can cuz I really like hanging out with some of the people on the server and that’s kinda been the only thing I wanna do on the server for a while. Cya all. <3

After almost a year of this project I have decided to redo most of the project. The only things I will be keeping are the farmstead and holdfast 2. I will keep the settlements at roughly the same places except for the most northern hamlet which I hope to be able to move to the more northern road that leads to Orme.

All tests can be found at /warp inv on the second floor. I still am planning to make some low class house tests.
The new castle can be found at /warp cobbcastle which is 90% complete.

OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS

Basket Weaving Complex/Workshop - MINI
Includes multiple buildings in a walled complex specialized for basket weaving.

Ruined Holdfast - MINI
Ruined holdfast in the middle of a forest at the very southern border of Cobb.

Tilemaking Facility - SPECIAL BUILD
Located in the center of the main Cobb village.

Hi everyone,
I'm planning the Basket and Ropemaker Complex in Cobb.
2022-10-18_22.10.52-min.png
The complex is situated on a plain surrounded by large fields of hemp and pollarded trees.
A high-earning yeoman is the owner of it. He surrounded the complex to make it safe from theft and crime. High-quality rope, fiber and baskets are an expensive, sought-after product.

In the complex there is only the Yeoman's house, utilities and workshops.
The workers come daily from the surrounding villages.
Outside the fence the hemp is dried, roasted and beaten. The branches and twigs as well as some fibers are trimmed and prepared for weaving.
2022-10-18_21.53.24-min.png
First I'll get the complex ready and then I'll work with Inv on the outside of the fields.

In the next few days I will open the general topic "hemp" in a thread and list all the ways of processing and use in detail.
There I would also like to go into more detail about the individual production steps.

Servus,
the HEMP COMPLEX in Cobb is finally done.
It is consistent with my hemp thread and up to date. Please check the the guide to receive more informations:

2022-11-16_19.56.04.png2022-11-16_20.00.00.png

The complex is run by a highly respected yeoman. He lives there with his family, a maid and a servant.
Through skill and good craftsmanship, the complex continued to grow over the years.
The path that goes through the complex is often used during the day. There is a small customs office (toloneum) that also acts as a payout for the workers.
On that Complex work daily around 25 People. There are 2 Tailors, 2 Ropemasters, 2 Weavers, 1 Seeder and a lot of Workers who help the trained professionals.

Ropes, threads, yarn and clothing are produced from hemp. Processed hemp is also sold as raw material.
There is also a basket weaving workshop. They make Baskets out of pollarded trees.

2022-11-16_19.56.46-min.png

I'm happy to answer all your questions,

greetings, Wursti

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I'm thinking that the Yeomans house could be larger in terms of its footprint and also contain its own small yard with vegetables growing and other self sufficiency. I'd think that if they're running a complex like that they'd own enough land around to have some self sufficiency.

I'm just working off the pictures rn but I'll check it out ingame soon.

Thanks Aeks for you feedback.

Inv and I are planning the fields of hemp and pollarded trees around it. There will be more of the process on the fields.
He will sell firewood to the surrounding villages too.
There are 3 small crops in the complex, i can expand it outside a bit more with veggies and maybe a small veggie storeshed.

Yeoman House by KD: the House is not small. There is a cellar, big kitchen, room for a maid, livingroom (spindle wheel) room for 2 kids, and a bigger bedroom in the roof for the yeoman, his wive and a desk.
The House himself has more value than a normal middle class house in tis area
The other servant has a small shed behind the basketweaving house.

Im focusing these days mainly on other minis and stuff i want to finish up, but i am open to discuss about more

Agonizes

Storyteller
Hi, I'm no builder but since this project is now in it's post-approval stage I guess why not:

I was a bit puzzled by cobbham2, the village in the forest, since it's just... sitting there. With no evidence of why it is there or what its residents do for a living? Are they logging? Are they burning charcoal? Are they herding pigs? Clearly they settled there for some reason, but at the moment it's not visible (to me at least).

So, and I hope I'm not too forward, my 'quick fix' suggestion would be to add some evidence of forestry production like logging and charcoal burning to the outskirts and some small fields, in a similar vein to what can be seen at /romocharcoal2 and /romocharcoal3.

I'm sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I have a few quibbles with Cobb as it is at the moment.

Why does the castle have a yard dedicated to nothing but a spike pit? A spike pit/moat would be best served outside of the castle rather than inside a yard, to serve as additional defenses for the walls. Once those walls are breached there is no further protection, a spike pit inside the walls would serve no purpose but to take up space that could be used to serve the household.

iKkGfkH.png

Another point is why is the castle an L? Is there a reason for this shape? It doesn't follow the shape of any geographic quirk of the lands (Its on a low lying hill) so I'm perplexed by the builders of the castle made the castle an L

VGsu3bV.png

Can a little extra effort be made into the local vegetation terra as well? As it stands it looks extremely procedurally generated and looks more like cotton fields than meadows or plains

GKwDPNG.png
wZv5LTB.png

I understand that terraforming is a tedious thing to do especially with vegetation, but I think we can at least diversity our plant palletes, play around with the distribution of flowers, and maybe dial back the amount of the same white flowers to make it look like an actual meadow than just something that was placed to fill in space.

I would also give some of the crop fields another look because some fields look...unfinished.

xomBgHc.png

In addition some of the village/hamlet streets could use more street details, a lot of them feel fairly desolate as if there is an active stay-at-home order for a quarantine.

WylLsoR.png

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
To jump as some extra detail on Marge's point about terrain, some plants that you could place to help diversify the ground cover are small bushes of hawthorn and little pine saplings. these are colonising plants which will over take fertile grassland if not grazed enough. That's another thing. Have regular largish shrubs where animals that graze shelter from the humid Reach summer heat. I imagine they'd turn out varieties of sheep like Lincolns, Lonks and Woodlands onto the meadow to keep the scrub under control while not wasting better fodder on them. Sheep are natural lawn mowers.
Have maybe a shepherds hut or two that looks like a tiny cottage upon the grassland in some spots too maybe. would help enliven some of it too.
Remember that the schembrushes with foliage are your friend when doing the grasslands. Stuff like BroomYellow, MeadowFescue and the different tall fern bush mixes are all incredibly useful for making terrain seem less generated and more curated/natural.

Like Marg, I think revisiting the castle would be a good idea. You've developed substantially as a builder and so I think now you can do the project justice with an even better castle than the current one. I'd recommend looking at having more walls and defenses focused on all sides except the west. Similar to how the large holdfast downstream of HG doesn't have much protection from the direction Reach reinforcements would arrive. If you need a hand with this, shoot me a DM.

Hi, I'm no builder but since this project is now in it's post-approval stage I guess why not:

I was a bit puzzled by cobbham2, the village in the forest, since it's just... sitting there. With no evidence of why it is there or what its residents do for a living? Are they logging? Are they burning charcoal? Are they herding pigs? Clearly they settled there for some reason, but at the moment it's not visible (to me at least).

So, and I hope I'm not too forward, my 'quick fix' suggestion would be to add some evidence of forestry production like logging and charcoal burning to the outskirts and some small fields, in a similar vein to what can be seen at /romocharcoal2 and /romocharcoal3.

I'm sorry if I'm overstepping my bounds here.
Thanks for the feedback, the thought process behind the hamlet is that they would take the short commute to work the fields in the other two villages where the soil is easier to farm and they would also tend to their own garden. But you raise good point and I will talk to my approving mods about it.