Approved Project Application: House Cobb by InvertedWinger and JJLyric

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
To be clear on the Fawnton minis in question:

It is up to the approving mods as to how these are dealt with, but they are quite far away from Fawnton proper, and not even connected directly by road. I personally don't see much reason to keep these as is for reasons which should be self evident, which is why when asked I said it would probably be fine to remove them.

1617653987427.png

PS
Okay so it turns out Fawnton is a Stormlands House, which kind of explains the weird mini placement, but the actual castle is wayyyy too far west.
I'll sort this out in another post.

Last edited:
Reactions: InvertedWinger

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Only a few things I want to point out. Food for thought.
Try and make the outer yard more regular and less blob like. With the Alcazar and the other examples (The fourth one is Bobolice in Poland, and I believe the third is also from the same line of fortifications) they have straight lines for a number of smaller terraces/yards than make their way upwards, rather a huge curving yard with a bubbly wall.
Also I would suggest switching the silvopasture near the castle with the northernmost pasture, which will not only blend with the forest more and create an idea of human interaction with the forest other than hunting, but also make more sightlines to defend the castle from. Remember, Stormlords could as easily march from the south as from the east.
Also, Cob is also a technique of building walls that takes very little in the way of raw materials. Straw and clay/mud. Cob building was featured on an episode of the UK series Grand Designs in Devon that I haven't quite been able to find a link to but I have images of. The aim was to create the largest cob structure in Britain. its easy to put together and the thickness required for walls to be stable perfectly fits with minecraft's 1x1m block.
Do what you will with the information. aka buildings being built/rebuilt.

Try and make the outer yard more regular and less blob like. With the Alcazar and the other examples (The fourth one is Bobolice in Poland, and I believe the third is also from the same line of fortifications) they have straight lines for a number of smaller terraces/yards than make their way upwards, rather a huge curving yard with a bubbly wall.
I made the shape of the bailey quite on the fly so I'm not opposed to other ideas for it, I think the idea of multiple terraces sounds quite nice.
Also I would suggest switching the silvopasture near the castle with the northernmost pasture, which will not only blend with the forest more and create an idea of human interaction with the forest other than hunting, but also make more sightlines to defend the castle from. Remember, Stormlords could as easily march from the south as from the east.
The silvopasture doesn't extend to the edges of the castle, although I'm not sure if I wanna make the area west of the castle pastures or something else.
Also, Cob is also a technique of building walls that takes very little in the way of raw materials. Straw and clay/mud. Cob building was featured on an episode of the UK series Grand Designs in Devon that I haven't quite been able to find a link to but I have images of. The aim was to create the largest cob structure in Britain. its easy to put together and the thickness required for walls to be stable perfectly fits with minecraft's 1x1m block.
Not sure how I feel about this, I'll see what other people have to say about this.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
1617690611794.png

This is the Cob house Aeks is talking about. Not that it's any good as inspiration. Here's a better one:

1617690702012.png

That said, the name of the house is Cobb, not Cob. Cobb has its own historic meaning, which is defined in the project application. I think we could certainly have a sub-regional area that uses Cob extensively, but I'm not sure the Northern Reach is it. The shield islands maybe?

Nicodemus

Faith Militant
Pronouns
he/him
The castle test's walls seem a bit flat and straight considering their height. I would add some buttresses to them.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I think we could certainly have a sub-regional area that uses Cob extensively, but I'm not sure the Northern Reach is it. The shield islands maybe?
A construction technique very similar to cob is tapial, used extensively throughout the Iberian Peninsula and North Africa. It would be interesting to have two sub-regions that are very different from each other but use the same building material, one in Dorne and the other in more humid, England-like lands.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey Inv and JJ,

cool to see you're ready to get started with your first project!
Some points of feedback by me:
  • The fields on your map should be concentrated kinda radially around the settlement, the pastures would be further away from the settlement, since they dont need as much work by the people as fields.
  • The castle looks fine, although it doesn't really give me that Reach vibe yet, but i think we can work on that once the detailing phase starts. Same for the gradient... it seems too linear atm, but we can work on that!
  • I would also make the crennelations on the roof more of a purpose and add room for soldiers to stand behind, on the sides where it also has that slate roof. Imo it would also look better if the crennelations would be two blocks wide. That gives it a more defensive look.
  • Your house tests look good, except this one:
Screenshot 2021-04-12 at 15.47.56.png

First of all, the timbered pattern feels very unstructured and neither serves a purpose as static supports for the house, nor does it *imo* look good. And i would keep the roofline at the same height of 2m, as it is for the other houses too. If you need room for a second storey, i think its better to make the house wider, and then use the extra ceiling height.

If you can work that feedback into your plans, you got my approval :)

• The fields on your map should be concentrated kinda radially around the settlement, the pastures would be further away from the settlement, since they dont need as much work by the people as fields.
Hopefully this is an improved map. Also I was wondering about adding a basket wickering ''complex'' somewhere, maybe where the large pasture is (west of holdfast 3).
MapLuk1.png
As for the castle and the house we would prefer going over it with you in game whenever you can.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hopefully this is an improved map. Also I was wondering about adding a basket wickering ''complex'' somewhere, maybe where the large pasture is (west of holdfast 3).
View attachment 8533
As for the castle and the house we would prefer going over it with you in game whenever you can.
I don't know about a weaving complex, basket weaving was often performed by simple peasants as more of a side hustle. Not sure if that would be a great commodity that other regions would need to import either.

It's nicer to imply industries more subtly. Im not a fan of having houses excessively "dressed" (for the lack of a better word) in a specific profession either. Homes were for living, so having a workshop or a bakery or smth inside a farmers house, doesn't really make sense, historically, i think. What you might want to have is a little communal workshop area in the village, where they would collectively engage in basket weaving.

But what would be a great way to show that the industry of the region focusses on basket weaving, is having a lot of pollarding and coppicing of trees around the project.

Sapper

Playwright
Hello I am Applying for This hamlet, Cobb hamlet 2 I believe, I like this hamlet because of all the roads this is a super fun task. I know applications are not open yet but I will be gone for a week so I wanted to get this application in before I go. Thanks!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.49.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 1.49.11 AM.png
    696.6 KB · Views: 21
These are the available minis:

Hamlet 1 - 10-15 Houses /warp cobbham1
Hamlet 2 - 8-12 Houses /warp cobbham2
Hamlet 3 - 5-8 Houses /warp cobbham3
Holdfast 1 - Smaller size /warp cobbhf1
Holdfast 2 - Regular size, make it feel quite defendable /warp cobbhf2
Logging Camp - /warp cobblc
Farmstead - /warp cobbfarm

Shymon

Lord Lannister
Greetings,
I would like to point out that I do not appreciate what-so-ever when you make changes to my project without my knowledge. You could have just asked me, it's just that I had plans for that area, now I am unable to carry such plans out because you have changed the area.
In the future, please be more respectful to other people's projects and first talk to the neighboring project lead when you have any suggestions for his project.
Thank you.