Completed Project Application: Duskendale

Veggie

The Old Bear
So-- I've better defined my style of houses, which you can see here. I would build a few houses similar to this before each zone opens (like SMP did at White Harbour) which will set the tone for any built area.

You can also find a map (which looks like it was drawn by a five year old) here -- I'll explain the map below.

The black 'scribble' area is where I would cut back the forest. I will actually redo this forest anyway, they have come such a long way since even Stokeworth was completed. This will create a cohesive forest style rather than the varying styles at both Rosby, Stokeworth, Bywater and Hollard. I think @WhereRmyDragons has done a good job with the Mallery forest area and would seek to emulate that.

This black area would be the area immediately outside the town walls. Whilst Brienne doesn't comment on any houses immediately outside the gates, I would seek to plot a small settlement of 5-6 houses parallel to the western portion of the walls, with personal gardening plots.

The mill would be one which is able to facilitate a (seemingly) realistic small drop in the river level. We do have precendence for these mills on the server, the one that comes to mind is at Crow's Nest. I think having the flatter river would facilitate for a less weird looking river delta, which ultimately would be slap bang in the centre of Duskendale if it were to remain as is.

I do think the river needs a little TLC from around Stokeworth to the delta anyway, as it lacks in the detail seen further up river. (The logic during my Stokeworth build was that it wasn't worth major work down river due to Duskendale eventually changing things anyway)

The fisherfolk area is on the peninsula which I am using to justify the 'rocky headland' canon, which protects the bay in which Duskendale sits. I would seek to make this peninsula just a little less green, with more craggy and gnarled coasts, with interesting weather worn features. Canon states that settlements of fishermen and their families line the coasts here.

In rudimentary terms, the yellow represents croppage, and the green represents pastureland. It's very simple on the map of course, but this agricultural landscape would emulate that found at the surrounding projects.

As with all builds, I am mindful that these plans would change once we see how the town sits within its landscape, and I would certainly seek to clarify my progress, and my next planned stages as the project progresses on the forums.

Veggie

The Old Bear
the-office-its-happening-gif-5.gif

Enah

Skinchanger
Just a thought, why is the weirwood chopped down? the trees that remain int he south are seen as prestigious by the southron. So much so that the Faith of the Seven af Arryns tried to plant one at the Eyrie. The lords of duskendale worshiped the Old Gods, and the Rykkers would have no use cutting the tree down in this day and age. As far as we know they survived all andal attacks and even drove the andal house Bar Emmon to Massey's Hook during this time, and held sway in the area as petty kings and then lords of the town after being incorporated into andal kingdoms. Just that, of all the houses, only those who were conquered or embraced the faith lost their trees. Which is why Highgarden and the Blackwoods have them, as they also managed to survive. The Blackwoods via defense and the Gardener's by diplomacy and assimilation of the realm not the house

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Just a thought, why is the weirwood chopped down? the trees that remain int he south are seen as prestigious by the southron. So much so that the Faith of the Seven af Arryns tried to plant one at the Eyrie. The lords of duskendale worshiped the Old Gods, and the Rykkers would have no use cutting the tree down in this day and age. As far as we know they survived all andal attacks and even drove the andal house Bar Emmon to Massey's Hook during this time, and held sway in the area as petty kings and then lords of the town after being incorporated into andal kingdoms. Just that, of all the houses, only those who were conquered or embraced the faith lost their trees. Which is why Highgarden and the Blackwoods have them, as they also managed to survive. The Blackwoods via defense and the Gardener's by diplomacy and assimilation of the realm not the house

bc we need need more cut down weirwoods ya skank

Veggie

The Old Bear
@Enah

Well on one hand I’ve been told no Weirwood, on the other I’ve been told Weirwood as it’s a first men house.

I’m happy either way.

Let me know, and I’ll go with that.

Veggie

The Old Bear
Looking for tests for the following, whilst I start to put down walls, and see the space I have to work with;

"The Rosby Gate" -- The gates are barred each night, commented on by Brienne. As with all the landmarks I'd like this in a Romanesque style. These gates should feel strong and ancient. I'd imagined a barbican, but am open to seeing other's tests. The gates open facing north, and are built along an East-West axis.

"The Maidenpool Gate" -- Again, Romanesque. The gates open facing south towards the town, along an East-West Axis.

In terms of scale, if you imagine that the walls are ~12 blocks high, this should get an idea of the height of the gate. You can view my initial test on my plot, but I'm not convinced by it.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I noticed that in the current setup of the town, the walls are 6 blocks thick. That's insane ... I recommend making them 3 blocks thick so the walls do not dwarf the town that is inside them, and so they are realistically proportioned.
  • The Aurelian Walls at Rome were 3,5m thick
  • The walls of Ávila were 3m thick
  • The walls of Carcassonne were 3m thick
  • The walls of Jerusalem were 2,5m thick
  • The walls of Nicaea were 3,7m thick
  • The walls of the Vatican were 2,5m thick

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
I mean, I agree from an aesthetic point of view that our city and town walls are often too thick (and too uniform), but there's a few references more relevant than Rome or Jerusalem.
  • The walls of King's Landing are 9 blocks thick
  • The walls of White Harbor are 9 blocks thick
  • The walls of Lannisport are 7 blocks thick
  • The walls of Oldtown may very well be 5 - 6 blocks thick
  • The walls of Fairmarket are 3 - 4 blocks thick
  • The walls of Bitterbridge are 3 - 4 blocks thick
In relation to our server standards it's be sufficient to fall within a range of 3 - 6 blocks. Personally, I'd prefer 3-4 more than 5-6, but it really depends on the actual design of the walls.

Enah

Skinchanger
I think if you have walls as such, there needs to be smaller less ornate walls around either the oldest or the least wealthy areas. And regarding server walls... lol kingslandings are enormous and so are lp’s so Oldtown will need to match them. Oldtowns are reputed to be tall as well, Kings landings modeled after ot and lp walls, as they were the really only major cities prior

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I mean, I agree from an aesthetic point of view that our city and town walls are often too thick (and too uniform), but there's a few references more relevant than Rome or Jerusalem.
  • The walls of King's Landing are 9 blocks thick
  • The walls of White Harbor are 9 blocks thick
  • The walls of Lannisport are 7 blocks thick
  • The walls of Oldtown may very well be 5 - 6 blocks thick
  • The walls of Fairmarket are 3 - 4 blocks thick
  • The walls of Bitterbridge are 3 - 4 blocks thick
In relation to our server standards it's be sufficient to fall within a range of 3 - 6 blocks. Personally, I'd prefer 3-4 more than 5-6, but it really depends on the actual design of the walls.
I see your point, but rather than continuing on a course on par with the insanely thick walls of King's Landing, White Harbour and Lannisport I'd rather have we look to real life equivalents of city/town walls.

That said, I'm more than willing to adjust the walls of Kingslanding to 4-5 blocks thick and use the newly gained space to widen the dry moat of the city (which is oddly narrow for the size of the walls). Same goes for other cities with out of proportion walls.

Veggie

The Old Bear
You are not the first person to have raised this with me, indeed I have trimmed them down in places-- I'm still deciding if I want hoardings on most of the walls, so this will likely inform my final decision. I'm also deciding on whether or not a moat or some kind of earth works would be appropriate too, I know the lands surrounding DD are mostly hilly, so am of the opinion that a dry moat/ditch would only be appropriate if used sparingly.

I recognise my initial intention of two gates was likely a little naive, and think that in the context of a couple more gates, the payoff can be thinner walls.

Once this section of buildings I've opened is completed I'd be able to see how the current buildings look in the context of the walls too.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
FYI I added house count blocks to the current houses and plots. 62 so far. I'm a little curious how DD compares in size to the other similar towns like FM and SS, not sure if it's a little small atm?
Fairmarket has 123 houses.

Edit | It seems Duskendale is roughly the same size as Stoney Sept at the moment. Fairmarket is somewhat smaller and a lot less densely build than Stoney Sept and (judging on the plotting so far) Duskendale, with only having houses side-to-side along the main roads and the docks while maintaining a more patchy layout along the walls and backroads.

Last edited:

Veggie

The Old Bear
I have just opened up another chunk of houses for people to be getting on with! (Stay in white glass border!!!) Just a reminder on here, though I have made it clear on each plot, this area differs in that I'm not encouraging extensions of wood/wooden overhangs etc. These are more akin to the plots built on the gate square.

Just a reminder, unless stated on another plot, if your house backs on to an oxidized bronze yard I do expect you to be furnishing said yard. Feel free also to add vegetation/greenery. I'm all for you experimenting.

I have marked some of the houses in the built section which are still WIP's (2 of them my own!!!) Whilst people get on building the newly opened section I will go through this with a fine tooth comb and change anything I think looks strange. Do not be offended if you find the odd block changed just to encourage greater cohesion in the wider build. Anything substantial I will leave a squash explaining my changes.

Thanks for everyone's contributions so far. I'll be compiling a document keeping track of who has built what to see how things are progressing. Some special shoutouts to Kulmen, for his work on some of the landmarks, and dockfronts. Ammika for nailing a lot of the bigger houses I've plotted so far, and setting the tone for surrounding builds. Thanks to Dragons and Willas for their work on the sept that I've decided to go for, I'm excited to see it come together. Thanks also to Nuggs for taking the initiative with the water gate, it's coming together really nicely.

A wider shoutout is in order for those who tested for things I ultimately decided not to go for; some who come to mind are Luk, Darkavenger, and Des. I appreciate your efforts, and will look to include you on other things moving forward.

Onwards and upwards!

Veg