Approved Oldcastle/House Locke Application

This is my official Application for Oldcastle.

Redo Appeal:

================================================================================================

Application:

I m happy about all questions and ideas. Feel free to message me on Discord - DieWursttheke#2718

greetings from the Onionknight

Last edited:
Supplement to the application for Oldcastle:

Mapping:

I have reduced the number of marked villages/hamlets and small settlements. The positions shown vary from the number of houses between 5-10 houses and depend on the area. I added and marked these on the Map for the Economity and Structure /warp wurst

Point of Interests:

Totaly forgot about these. Thanks for reminding me $. I added and marked these on the Map for the Economity and Structure /warp wurst

- boat wracks: laying on the beach or hangs crashed on a cliff
- hill graves like Kong Asger Høj
- stone shaped graves like Anundshög, Västerås and standing stones maybe a stone circle also
- caves: one in the highlands in the mid and one carved with the yearthousands into the higher cliff area north east
- stone labyrinth like Lejre, Denmark
-
gods wood of oldcastle: behind the main town would be in the hills a forrest with some weirwoods. very old trees. like a holy forrest

Ruins:

As there are a few holdfasts or smaller castles, 2 or more of them become semi-ruins, used and inhabited. Maybe one even totaly ruined.
Some of the watchtowers around the coast can be ruined or reused too.
Around the coastline near the way can lay some old house ruins who may once get burned down when some raided the coast.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hi Wursti,

This is heading in the right direction but I've got a few points of feedback.

-Could you rig us up some tests of the castle or perhaps a holdfast so we can see what palette and aesthetic you're going for?
-Also could you give us a run down of what you might do for the forests? I'm presuming it would continue the WH forest near Holt and the whcadet.
-I'm not such a fan of the house tests for the regional areas. Much of the woodwork seems ramshackle and not structurally sound. Poor rural people still build structures that make sense in terms of logs/beams and repairs also would roughly follow the same patterns. A good example of this is at Frost.
Simplifying the patterns of a house also makes sense visually, as it reduces business and lets the eyes focus on more important parts of the building, like a good eave or a nice arrangement of a workspace outside.
-Keep experimenting with the cottage styles, particularly the idea of having the seaweed/kelp rooves insp that you showed me before. This could just be in terms of making an extra thick thatch roof to mirror the shape.
-Also, as an idea of mimicking WH, try using some weathered plasters on some stone houses. Stone buildings would be great to use around your agricultural areas as its reusing material that'd be pulled out of fields to make them more productive. I'm thinking in rural areas normal northern stone palettes would be good.
-On the topic of stone, I'd stick away from using large stormlands bricks as they're a little bit too big and obvious when compared to the cobble and dark cobble stormlands variants.

Last edited:

Scubooty

Bookbinder
I would agree with Aeks, the wooden houses should be more cohesive with those around WH to make the border seamless. Additionally, the stone choice feels kind of odd as none of the Northern projects seem to use stormlands bricks, I would stick to the dark greys used in WH and other northern builds. The sod roof house tests feel reminiscent of some much older ones used in the past but I would recommend using Frost as Aeks mentioned as well as Amber to see some examples of the houses for rural/poor agricultural peoples.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
What might also be worth looking into is the interiors of firehoos/house. There's a v well preserved one in Orkney that might be useful for ints insp.

Generally the north requires a few different protocols regarding organisation of interiors like fewer windows, placing windows and door on the other side of the room from a bed, with the fireplace in between.
Also limiting doors to as few as possible (just one in peasant homes)

-Could you rig us up some tests of the castle or perhaps a holdfast so we can see what palette and aesthetic you're going for?
I tried Wall Gradients and Tower Tests for the Main Castle. You can find them in the app. When I asked once weeks ago if I needed more tests, the answer was "no". I think one of the first castles and hf im starting there will be the cadet holdfast with IMajic. That probably happens in the next weeks.
Fortress Land Castles like: Trelleborgen / Eketorp Sweden / York Castle or a small holdfast like: Blarney Castle
I will open the most of Castles and HF for other ppl to build them.

also could you give us a run down of what you might do for the forests? I'm presuming it would continue the WH forest near Holt and the wh
Ofcourse will be the forrests continued from WH. On my Map are the diff Forrest regions drawned in. They will look like the Forrests in WH. You can find all 3 variants there. More North is Needle, more South is Birch and in the middle will be Oak and Mixed forrests.
Also KOR and CARCI will help me with that!
-I'm not such a fan of the house tests for the regional areas. Much of the woodwork seems ramshackle and not structurally sound. Poor rural people still build structures that make sense in terms of logs/beams and repairs also would roughly follow the same patterns. A good example of this is at Frost.
Simplifying the patterns of a house also makes sense visually, as it reduces business and lets the eyes focus on more important parts of the building, etc etc etc
I created so much diff Housetests to catch a wide field of style that you can choose out of it.
Im not a fan of only one style in such a big Land.
Norsemen were skilled carpenters and the houses on the land were built by different families in different times, so they look different. It would be good if you could be a bit more specific..
Yes, there are tests with a lot of visual impact, but also enough with a simple facade.
Specially around the Swedish and Danish regions you will find a big variety of Styles.
When i was there a few times already, i have always admired their carpentry skills. they also like to play with different colors.
Also what do you mean with "regional". Does that means all housetests?

I once did thick thatch roofs and after i showed them to some well known people it were recommended to not do them.

Stormland Bricks. I really used them not much at all. They are only there for fundamental use to get the wood from the ground. They looking better on a lot of wood buildings than the northern stones. It depends on the use, Mainly im using the NORTHERN ones like showed for the castle and some stonehouses.

I do not like the idea of having so much stone houses. Oak timbered houses were more usual around Jüttland and South Sweden. ALso there are big Forrests who deliever wood yearly for all needs like houses, ships and more. Groups of Stonehouses more towards the North East Coast and some single ones whereever they fit.
Sod roof Houses

I see no Problem with them tbh. They are a new style i worked out, we do not have around the server and im sure you will like them when they are implemented in cottages or hamlets full with this type of style. The big high sod roof one can definitly be ajusted and changed, the other 2 flat ones are totaly fine.

What is the exact status of the application now? Can the first steps already be taken?

greetings - Wurst

EDIT: Im working with Aeks on that points

Last edited:
Reactions: Bovine and Tobi

IMajic

Royal Messenger
also as my name was brought up ;)

we talked in game and in discord about this project.

I talked to wurst about the castle as we can see in the pictures [on the application]

Wurst did the castle tests in a solo world when he was unable to be in server. So that is why he took screenshots,
A pallete test and plan could be done in the test world as that wouldn't be repeating anything already done.

The gradient is good, we spoke about how there will be a new block for Harrenhall that is like Winterfell stone but darker which could go well with the terrain set and be the focal block that transitions between the rocks and the palette being more dirty and darker towards the bottom. Since this castle is by the coast and is large and hard to maintain so using cobbles/muds and broken bits will look good here.

I spoke to wurst about doing a small castle [holdfast] on the east side as he had mentioned but that is far away from being done.Since terra will have to be done first on the main parts. I do love this area near whiteharbour as Kor and Emot did a great job.

I do agree the houses need a slight bit more refinement but then there can be the slight transitions of materials depending on where each village or hamlet is,
if the houses are close to the coast and have little access to wood [nowhere near a wood or forest] they might use cobbles and reeds and save the little wood they collect to keep warm.

Same as if they live in woodland they might not have a good variety of thatches and reeds from plants/feilds to use for roofs and might need to use whatever they use, say dirt or wood roofing and use the soft ground to live in.

I think the houses should be usable and a wide variety should be used due to the large different types of terrain in such a vast land.
Houses should depend on what the land provides and that can be a way to get around different house materials being used as long as the houses make sense.

The thing to keep it all cohesive would be the look of the buildings, shapes and keeping the transition from whiteharbour lands to the coast as using frost also is a good inspiration on houses used on the coast being a great coastal project. Then the white harbour houses along the inland and river areas and then the forested areas between.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey Wursti, I've taken a look at the changes you've made to the app recently and they all look good. Since I've worked with you a bit on the app already, and am keen to make the WH border work out, I'm happy to approve! Keep me updated on the terra and planning of the castle/main village please.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya,

I recommend you work on finishing an area at a time as you do this project, keeping it rolling progressively, rather than turning everything to placeholder blocks at the start. I'm excited to see the Haithabu inspired settlement growing once you're up to it and look forward to this corner of the north getting some much needed life to it. Remember that with plotting, its much easier to make cool ints and buildings if they're grid-aligned, rather than angled and keep at least 60% of your houses grid aligned.
Like Emot, I would like updates on how terrain is going as well as the plotting of the larger settlements and castle. A first project hits harder than you'd think but is a great learning process. I approve too, goodluck Wursti!

Last edited:
1st Month Update OLDCASTLE MAIN HEADLAND

2023-02-21_14.53.51.png
2023-02-21_14.55.01.png

Terrain:

The beach area with dunes and vegetation is from south of WH Whaling, up to the big river delta at Oldcastle nearly finished.
Driftwood, nets and other will be added.
The large river delta in the south, formed over thousands of years, offers natural protection against attackers.

From WH south via Oldcastle starts the Eastern Trade Route into North.

After the delta, the castle sits on a large promontory surrounded by wadden beaches and windswept small dunes.To the east, up the headland, a long beach with dunes will adorn the coast. A small forest offers more protection from the sea. After that, large fields line the shoreline leading to the smaller river delta to the east.

In the middle of the headland, next to Briarwatch, a small part of Whiteharbour will be made new and adjusted. Mods know.
It will lead into a small wet swamp area.

Northeast of it is a lake fed by small rivers and leading into the small river delta to the sea.
The rocky WH terrain with the birch forest will slowly fade out towards the lake.

Structure:

- Oldcastle Traveler Septry next to Whiteharbour - build by Luk /warp ocsept
- Driftwood Village in the Dunes south of Whiteharbour - build by tobinator
- Abandoned Mill - build by tobinator
- New Gravebarrow - build by Deiniol
- Kings Gravebarrow WIP
- 2 Big "Mansions" where supporting Familys of the Lockes live. WIP
- 1 Traveller Inn / Meadhall - WIP by KD/Aeks
- small Hamlet around the wet swamplands in a new invented Style WIP
- big Farmstead between Oldcastle and the first hamlet WIP
- first hamlet /warp ocham1

Castle:

Castle Structure is finished, all buildings are placed and a lot of the inner space is finished. All Houses with a GREEN Block are DONE with interieur/exterieur.
Smaller details will be added.
The Gradient and Towers are the last big Points to do.
The 4 Houses in the first Bailey will get ajusted and made less townish.

OPEN MINIS OR PLOTS:

- MINI Brewery Complex next to ocham1
- open Plots in /warp ocham1

My Point of view:

I'm happy with the progress and will now focus on completing the area. I tried to make the country varied and interesting.

A huge thank you to our valued editor Kor_Bro who supports me a lot with the terrain and makes a lot of things possible.
Thanks to my mods, Aeksio and Emote who always give me good advice.
Thanks also to all the builders who have helped so far.

I m happy about all questions and ideas. Feel free to message me on Discord - DieWursttheke#2718

Last edited:
2. Month Update MARCH: OLDCASTLE MAIN LAND AND COASTSIDE
2023-03-29_15.15.19.png

2023-03-29_15.15.45.png

Terrain:

The Lake is now a saltwater lagoon. Small boats can drive into it.
Towards east, a smaller headland with spits transitions into a big bay with estuary, where the biggest river of oldcastle lands flows down from the inner headlands into the sea.
A big natural Sandspit in front protects the big bay where the Main Port and Town will be builded.

The Dunes slowly fading out into steep grassy beaches which transition in small hills and small moores.
A few coastal forests covering the hill tops.

Over the first hamlet, the terrain rises up to form a low mountain chain which is mostly fully covered by birch and mixed forrest.

Structure:

- 1 Hamlet /warp ocham1
- 1 Brewery Mini - FREE TO APPLY
- 1 Big Garrison Mini - FREE TO APPLY
- Watchtower/Lighttower - by Ric
- Hermit Houses with small Valley (more of these will come) - by tobinator
- Big Bridge to the main City - by Vinnie
- smaller longer stonebridge to pass the saltdelta
- big old quarry on the backside of the mountains

Castle:

No Process in the Castle.

OPEN MINIS OR PLOTS:

- MINI Brewery Complex next to ocham1
- MINI Garrison between ocham1 and the big bay

My Point of view:

I made not much new Process in Oldcastle.
These days my Focus will be in Eastwatch to finish up the Hamlet and Beacharea.
Other Focus will be in Smithyton on my Mega Mini.
I think in the next days and weeks will not happen much in Oldcastle.

Thanks to my mods, Aeksio and Emote who always give me good advice.
Thanks also to all the builders who have helped so far.

Last edited:
3. Very Late Update for April, May, and coming June

"NO Process in Oldcastle"