Completed Hawthorne (lemonbear and Antalex)

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Just a small update on progress:

I haven't heard from Antalex for a while, but I just finished my first year of grad school, so I will be pretty free to work on Hawthorne for at least a bit.

Town
The town is more or less done, but I plan to do an all around quality check/touch up thing once the rest of the project is mostly done.

Mini Projects
Hawthorne Farm 1 is now done, with the help of Majic and BalrogSlayer. Antalex's Farm 4 and qBBQ's Farm 2 are still ongoing. The only mini project not yet started is Hamlet 5, the mining hamlet, with its mines/quarries. If you're looking for a mini project, please consider building here!

Castle

The castle is still ongoing. Most of it is done, but I'm still working on the keep's gradient and interiors, as well as the sept garden.

Lands
Because I've been so kindly granted e-lite perms, I've been working a lot recently on the lands. I'm currently working on the border forest between Bushy, Inchfield, and Hawthorne, and I think it's going well. Since I'm a total noob with WE, if you see anything I'm doing poorly, or if you have suggestions, please tell me! I really want to learn. The area of the borderlands that's currently being worked on is meant to be a rockfield area, ala this:
154097054.jpg
I also have a more-or-less inspo compilation image map, but it's too big to attach here, sadly. Essentially, picture this turning into forest. Within the forest, I plan to have an area with a few felled trees, as well as some stumps spread out, by the logging hamlet, Hamlet 4. I'm thinking of putting a small ruined tower or foundations of ancient homes in the densest parts because the area is pretty ancient, and the children of the forest used to live there. There will also be the river that Thamus is working on going through it.

After this forest, I'm probably going to work more heavily on touching up the pastures before moving on to the next forest (and the area by the lake). Several people have mentioned that there needs to be more grass and the dirt areas need to be smaller/less dense. I totally agree, and that's something I'll be working on as I also add gates and make the hedges look better/less fake.

Also, a bit of a pipe dream because my WE skills are questionable, but I really don't like how fake the mountain tops look with all of the snow on top. At the very end of the project, if I still want to mess around with things, I'd like to try to make the mountain tops more realistic like what is happening by Redfort (but to a much smaller extent).

Antalex

Bard
Hey! Atm I am in an archaeological internship, then I don't have my laptop
I have conscious that this year I didn't play a lot but I didn't have time it was really hard...
I'll be back in two weeks, and I am really motivated to end this project
I'll try to find a laptop during the next days, to see what you done but I don't think that my internet conection will allowe me to do other things that visiting the server.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
@Antalex Don't worry mate we all have life to deal with sometimes! You won't be demoted so it's okay :)

@lemonbear Really pleased with your progress! With the editing you seem pretty driven with your inspiration, and although you may not be a great editor yet, a lot of progress and learning comes from trial and error when you're trying to get a atmosphere that you want!

Keep up the good work :)

qBBQ

Street Preacher
Hello @lemonbear and @Antalex !

It's been 8 months since I started the parchment production facility at /warp hawthornefarm2. I've completed the production side of the plot but worker's houses and general cleanup is still left to do. There's also now a stream that goes through the property.

As my time has become limited in the past few months, I wish to formally hand this project off to someone else to complete it. I'll still be coming back to build once in a while but not as frequently.

I've decided to take this project back in my own hands with the aim to complete it. So sorry for the fuss.

Last edited:

qBBQ

Street Preacher
Hey @lemonbear , I'm in the progress of building the main residence for the parchment factory owner. It occurred to me that I don't know the wealth status of a person who would own such a facility. There would also be a side business of selling off the skinned animal meat.

How big of a house? How big of a kitchen? How fancy should the decorations be?

I'm taking inspiration from the main house at /warp hawthornewinery but I'm not sure the owner of a winery should have the same wealth as a parchment facility owner.

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Parchment was a pretty expensive thing due to not only how labor-intensive it is to make but also how long it lasts and the type of documents it would be used for. It's more or less used to make luxury products, and the farm is on a decently major trade route, so that would influence the potential wealth of the owners of the complex. Keep in mind, though, that while parchment would've made the manuscripts it's used for more expensive, the parchment is only the first step in a longer, more valued process.

So, I wouldn't be comfortable with the main residence being the pinnacle of wealth or overly fancy. A lot of money would go back into the process of parchment-making and paying or feeding the workers. I would say decently nice, but not too nice. Use leather slabs instead of either of the stools, and use the pale red or green beds instead of royal or straw. Maybe give them one painting to show off, or something. Overall, let the main residence be comfortable, but not too overly rich.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
@lemonbear and @Antalex

The parchment facility at /warp hawthornefarm2 is complete! I'm sure Lemon will look it over again in more detail once Hawthorne nears completion. Criticism in the form of melons are welcome.

This is only my 2nd completed mini project and I will be moving on to a 3rd, a lumber hamlet at Red Lake.

Post-approved by me!

Reactions: Wazgamer

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Small update:

Mini Projects:
All minis are done (thanks, qBBQ!) except for Ant's farm and Hamlet 5, which is the mining hamlet. Also, the mine and quarry still need to be done. I'm kinda starting the quarry, but I have no confidence in making mines, so please someone apply for them!

Nature:
All the nature stuff is going so much quicker now that I have WE. The lake area is done, as well as half of the forests. In terms of that forest, I'm kinda getting to the point where I feel like I need Thamus to do more work on the river/stream before I can do too much more. I might have to put the rest of the forest on hold until I can see a bit more of what the river area is gonna look like.

Next steps are the castle dry moat, the pastures, and the second forest that borders both Peckledon and Ferren. I won't be able to work on the part bordering Ferren until I know what the river/stream is gonna look like beyond where it is now.

Castle:
I haven't made much progress on this. I've slowly been working on interiors, but the castle sept garden is still not started. I've largely just been working on the lands.

I would like to make an official plea to anyone who might want a mini project. Hamlet 5 should be pretty simple, and you don't need to include the mines or quarry if you don't want to. I would just really like any help you can give on them.

polopolo

Storyteller
Hey all, I've spoken to lemonbear and I will be doing hamlet 5.
2018-07-24_17.33.jpg

It's quite a small hamlet, with 3 miner houses, 1 farmer house and 1 recently abandoned house due to the husband/father dying in a mining accident.

There is a guard tower up the road after quarry 2 that I will do as it protects the hamlet and the quarries.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hey, polopolo.

I think the layout looks pretty good, but I'd like it if the houses were a bit bigger. Some of the yards are a bit small, too.

polopolo

Storyteller
Ok, so I've updated the plans for the hamlet with some little help from lemonbear, here it is:

2018-07-27_01.01.jpg

I've also made a house test; the house distribution between wood and thatch for the roof will be 3:2.

2018-07-27_11.28.03.png