Completed Hawthorne (lemonbear and Antalex)

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Now that Elduwin is a mod, Hawthorne is looking for its fourth editor! We need two bordering forests, a road, some fields and pastures, the dry moat, and a bunch of trees and flowers. Elduwin said he's still planning to finish the fields and pastures, but we definitely need someone to do the dry moat, the forests, and the final touch ups.

Here are the plans I sent Elduwin a bit ago:

aokK3DE.png

In this picture, the dark green is foresty areas, and the lighter green patch is a section of forest that has a good distribution of apple trees. Kinda like a more natural orchard.

I recently learned about forest paths called holloways, and I think it might be interesting to put something like that in the large forest to the right.

f5lJxgv.jpg

But otherwise, I'd like a nice helping of fallen leaves on the ground, as well as ferns, bracken, and other stuff in the forests. Some fallen (or felled) trees here and there might be nice, too, as well as mushrooms and flower patches (using the wildflower mix, if possible).

XxjmEfC.jpg

Also, if no one wants to apply for the mining hamlet (/warp hawthornehamlet5) and its two quarries, the editor might need to do some work on those as well.

Lyliana

Bard
Hellos! I am applying for Hawthornehamlet1. It's listed as a small farming hamlet of 3-5 houses.
I have 5 houses, 4 outbuildings, and a bunch of gardens/vegetation/trees etc. Also a well and some low stone walls or wattle ones. The style will be the same as the Hawthorne poor houses. I might want someone to help paint in the paths and plug in some trees. Thanks!
Hawthornehamlet1.png

Lyliana

Bard
Hamlet 1 finished! A note just incase anyone is wondering what's going on in the big barn, they are making prunes. Prunes will keep much longer than plums. First they cut them in half on the table in the barn and pit them. Next they get baked in the bake house beside the barn for a few hours, then whammo.. prunes! Also I nixed one of my originally planned garden areas, the big one in the front, in favor for a open grassy area. If you want to change it to a single crop or something you can but I thought it looked better visually from the road. Cheers!

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey lemon and antalex, I'm not sure how much you've followed this thread http://www.westeroscraft.com/threads/geomorphology-101-1-fluvial-processes.284/
but I couldn't help to notice that the valley that Hawthorne sits in has no drainage in the form of a stream running through. This is why I used that valley as a blank canvas for my river plotting example here: http://www.westeroscraft.com/threads/geomorphology-101-1-fluvial-processes.284/#post-1415

I think approaching this issue sooner rather than later will save you a lot of work and will make the project a whole more realistic. It will also give you a chance to pioneer reflecting the human influences on river systems. I think a width of 4-5 blocks at the level of the town is about right for the size of the drainage area.

Andy_Jones

Herald
Pronouns
he/him
I really love your plans, this could be lovely.

...If we decided to redo the whole map with realistic terrain. Given the speed of great terraforming, like at the Torentine, like Fin currently does at Redfort, updating our map would take us years, if we had a few Editors fully comitted to that.

I, personally, want to finish this proejct at some point. And if we decide to not only redo outdated structures like we do already, which keeps us at approx. 60% completion since 2 years, but also redo the terrain, it will take way longer.

There are many places with bad terrain around, and I don't want those to stay as they are until the end. I'm sure we will do realistic terrain and rivers - following your great river thread - in places that are not too populated. But if we wanted everything to be realistic we would have to get rid of at least 70% of populated lands as well. While I think older projects will need some updated here and there, I think it is somewhat unfair towards the people that led them back then to just rework everything. We are just dwarfs standing on the shoulders of giants, the giants being those who started this project and shaped it before us (to be fair, some giants still remain).

My objection is, that the path of the river(s), with all the side streams and large meanders, is in a region already heavily populated along the Goldroad.
Maybe a solution could be a rather realistic river downstreams from Bushy, where you marked the river in mostly yet unpopulated areas, and have a thinner, more straight (cultivated) stream through Hawthorne.

In my opinion the project leaders should decide, and should have the right to not have a river through their lands at all. This can even be scientifically justified (a bit). Since the valley lies on the east side of the Mountains it should not get too much rain, given Westeros lies in a Westwind-Zone. This fits GRRM's description. Then there is the possibility of the water from rain and snow melting could drain away as Interflow. This leads to quite common Dry Valleys.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I, personally, want to finish this proejct at some point. And if we decide to not only redo outdated structures like we do already, which keeps us at approx. 60% completion since 2 years, but also redo the terrain, it will take way longer.

Wholeheartedly agree. I wouldn't have suggested this if I didn't believe that any structural progress on the projects in this valley could be retained.

The path of the river(s), with all the side streams and large meanders, [being] in a region already heavily populated along the Goldroad
What I plotted in said thread was the wild, natural course of the river and its tributaries. Really I think we can assume that humans ("the inhabitants of the projects") will have found a way to dam, reroute and channelize the river. Hence humans ("us") can certainly employ all the known procedures to implement this with minimum damage.

In my opinion the project leaders should decide, and should have the right to not have a river through their lands at all. This can even be scientifically justified (a bit). Since the valley lies on the east side of the Mountains it should not get too much rain, given Westeros lies in a Westwind-Zone. This fits GRRM's description. Then there is the possibility of the water from rain and snow melting could drain away as Interflow. This leads to quite common Dry Valleys.
Yeah, you can make up a contrived explanation for why there is no river in that valley, but booming agriculture, rivers in all the valleys around it, a canonical wetland area called the riverlands just east of said range despite the supposed westwind-zone kinda contradict that; OR you could just add a small(ish) stream that's channeled through the fields.

I just wanted to point it out while the projects are still in progress, and hence can still adapt, unlike projects which are finished. Ultimately it is likely that in the future someone else will spot it again and that could very well lead to a redo (depending on the person evaluating it at that point in time.) So it is very much up to the leaders of this project (and bushy, ferren and deepden) to future proof their efforts and correct errors those "giants" have made while they still can.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elduwin and Antalex

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Now, I didn't want to only point out errors without offering solutions:
e56420dfab.png

So wherever it got narrow I tried to stick to roads which aren't major thoroughfares (i.e. those that could be reduced in width), and areas where the finished terraforming was so minimal that it could easily be consolidated with a river running past (i.e. bocage or merely plotted but not terraformed fields.). In only case, we'd have to cut right through a finished field.

Anyways, thats a suggestion anyways. It's up to the project leads to decide. I'd be happy to help with plotting/ planning and implementation of this tho.

Reactions: Elduwin and Antalex

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I actually really wanted a water feature to be present throughout Hawthorne's lands (esp. near farm2, which is a parchment-making tannery and thus needs a lot of water), but I wasn't really able to implement one with our rough start and my total lack of knowledge of how to make a good river/stream. It also definitely doesn't help that we've so far gone through 3 different editors of varying levels of commitment.

If you're willing to help with the plotting/implementation of a stream, I'm all for it.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Totally agree with Lem here, this would be a nice feature, however with the projects lack of an editor until zoso can help out, I believe that they'd need some help in planning it.