Approved Central Westerlands megabuild (Tarbeck Hall, Sarsfield, Oxcross, Hornvale) by lemonbear

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Hi, all! Let me know if I need to wait a week for this to be considered.

I'll happily accept feedback in the meantime. :)

** EDIT: BTW, if any holdfasts, septries, farms, hamlets, etc. grab your attention, feel free to ask to do them! I plan for this project to be server build-ish where subsections will be delegated to others via application or permission depending on what they are. **

Last edited:

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
did you approve @CashBanks ?

Also, even if the application is really neat and i love it, I'd also prefer if you could go through the "redo application" process just to make it clear that we didn't miss any step :)
for Hornvale and Sarsfield, separately or together, at least

Reactions: AerioOndos

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I am applying to redo Sarsfield, Oxcross, and Hornvale under a combination of Clause B and Clause C. I will discuss which aspects fall under each clause below.
b) Inadequate Canon Clause: If the build under consideration objectively lacks important canon, which directly impacts the planning or style of the build, it may be allowed to be redone. For this to be satisfied, the claimant must prove unambiguously that a substantial amount of canon has been missed. The claimant's case will be assisted if it can be shown that this lack of canon was understood to be an issue before they intended to apply for redo.
[UPDATE (12/16/18)]: Redos will be tentatively allowed for builds which get new canon in new publications, but giving mods the right reject these on a case-by-case basis depending on circumstances.

c) Abandoned Build Clause: If a build is incomplete and filed under the project orphanage as an abandoned build, it may be allowed to be redone. The intuition behind this clause is that it can be difficult to pick up someone else's outdated work, and if we expect people to do this very few people would want to apply to finish abandoned builds. However, moderators reserve the right to veto a redo for an abandoned build if they deem the existing portions to be particularly high quality.

Hornvale:
Hornvale counts as both having insufficient canon and being incomplete/abandoned. The castle is over the top/high fantasy, and both the forest and the house styles are out of date.

Clause B:
  • According to canon, there should not be a road leading out of the valley into the Riverlands.
    • The current road needs to be removed.
    • Now that there is only one major way into the vale, some of the plotting of houses and (I believe) even the castle needs to change.
  • The goat path used by Robb’s forces in the books partially exists in the Golden Tooth lands, but it needs to be extended all the way to Oxcross per canon.
    • To avoid guard towers/Golden Tooth, the path needs to cross through Hornvale lands.
Clause C:
  • At the main entrance of the vale by Golden Tooth’s lands is an unfinished plot for a tower.
    • Either a defensive structure needs to be built (which would make a lot of sense since it’s the main/only entrance to the vale), or the plot needs to be removed.
  • There is a road leading to nothing by hvhamlet1 (possibly a holdfast?).
    • Something needs to be put there, or the surroundings need to change.
Sarsfield:
My justification for redoing Sarsfield is largely based on Tarbeck canon rather than Sarsfield canon. Sarsfield is super old and outdated.

Clause B:
  • From the unabridged version of “The Westerlands” entry in The World of Ice and Fire: “At [Ellyn Tarbeck’s] urging, Lord Tarbeck expanded his domain by buying the lands of the lesser lords and landed knights about him...and taking by force the holdings of those who refused to sell…Lord and Lady Tarbeck built roads and septs and holdfasts, and brought ever more knights, archers, and men-at-arms into their service.”
    • The Tarbecks were super powerful about 40 years before the time of our server, and they bought the lands of the surrounding lesser lords and landed knights and built roads and septs and holdfasts.
    • Since Sarsfield is right next to the Tarbeck domain, it would make sense for these lands to have been taken over by the Tarbecks. The lands do not have the number of septs and holdfasts required by the above canon.
Clause C:
  • Some of the mountains west of the Sarsfield lands have a huge patch of sand indicating incomplete terraforming.
Oxcross:
Oxcross is extremely old and outdated, and its current location does not really fit canon.

Clause B:
  • According to canon, Oxcross is situated just under a three day ride away from Lannisport.
    • Its current location is at most two days away from the city. I propose to move it slightly north.
  • Oxcross is canonically a village. There is no mention of a holdfast, but it currently has one.
  • The goat path Robb takes needs to at least potentially exist in the area.
  • As a whole, the region is very empty, and it needs to have more roads, hamlets, septs, and holdfasts to fit Tarbeck canon.

Last edited:

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Reading through the List of available projects thread, I found this from a post by waz about a year ago:
Westerlands:

Nunn's deep - assigned to Payne lands.
Pendric hills - assigned to Kyndall lands.
Oxcross - assigned to Lannett lands.

The assignation of Oxcross to Lannett would fit with my judgment of the village belonging to a minor house (although I initially said a landed knight). I would be fine making the area belong to House Lannett, although it is canon that they reside in Lannisport and Oxcross is meant to be several days out of the city.

Reactions: Luciano_I

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
A house who live in Lannisport could still have lands elsewhere, though it is unlikely. There could be a manse or significant townhouse in the city and a country home nearer to Oxcross. However, it would be more difficult to represent

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
The first section is available for apps! This is the landed knight region in the Northwestern part of the project, and my plan is for it to almost entirely be composed of mini builds that can be applied for here.

In-game the open region is surrounded by floating gold blocks, and it contains 3 farm complexes, 2 hamlets, 1 septry, 1 ruined holdfast, and the landed knight's keep.

/warp thlandedknight - The landed knight's keep. Feel free to change up the terra a bit to fit your plans. Just include it in your app.

/warp thruin1 - An old Tarbeck holdfast that has been ruined since the Tarbecks' fall (~40 yrs ago). It is located by a stream, and it was originally next to a path that led from Castamere to the Tarbeck lands.

/warp thseptry - One of the septries built during the Tarbecks' heyday shortly before their fall (~40 yrs ago). It was built as a symbol of the Tarbeck's wealth and power during a time when they controlled a good portion of the surrounding lands. However, because it was built quickly it was built without an eye for quality, and as such it's a bit in disrepair. A bit of a headcanon that can be modified: Essentially The Little Hours. The sept stays afloat by having septas embroider linens to sell at market, but a drunkard septon loses all of the linens and therefore their money. Also, some of the septas are into witchcraft.

/warp thhamlet1 - Hamlet located at the border with Drox. It is down the hill from the septry, and the majority of its residents work in the nearby fields.

/warp thhamlet2 - Hamlet located between two farm complexes and by several streams. Residents largely work in the nearby orchard and poppy fields.

/warp thfarm1 - Farm complex with an orchard that has pitted fruit trees, which include peaches, apricots, and plums.

/warp thfarm2 - Farm complex with poppy operation (poppy fields across the road). They produce the base components for milk of the poppy (and to a lesser extent poppy wine).

/warp thfarm3 - Farm complex located right next to the major town in the area (/warp thtown). They are major providers of produce to the town.

House styles can largely be considered as what is in my application, although I have decided to include Arbor Cobble to my palette. The next update will likely be about the town!

Last edited:

Kuzlov

Messenger
The first section is available for apps! This is the landed knight region in the Northwestern part of the project, and my plan is for it to almost entirely be composed of mini builds that can be applied for here.

In-game the open region is surrounded by floating gold blocks, and it contains 3 farm complexes, 2 hamlets, 1 septry, 1 ruined holdfast, and the landed knight's keep.

/warp thlandedknight - The landed knight's keep. Feel free to change up the terra a bit to fit your plans. Just include it in your app.

/warp thruin1 - An old Tarbeck holdfast that has been ruined since the Tarbecks' fall (~40 yrs ago). It is located by a stream, and it was originally next to a path that led from Castamere to the Tarbeck lands.

/warp thseptry - One of the septries built during the Tarbecks' heyday shortly before their fall.

/warp thhamlet1 - Hamlet located at the border with Drox. It is down the hill from the septry, and the majority of its residents work in the nearby fields.

/warp thhamlet2 - Hamlet located between two farm complexes and by several streams. Residents largely work in the nearby orchard and poppy fields.

/warp thfarm1 - Farm complex with an orchard that has pitted fruit trees, which include peaches, apricots, and plums.

/warp thfarm2 - Farm complex with poppy operation (poppy fields across the road). They produce the base components for milk of the poppy (and to a lesser extent poppy wine).

/warp thfarm3 - Farm complex located right next to the major town in the area (/warp thtown). They are major providers of produce to the town.

House styles can largely be considered as what is in my application, although I have decided to include Arbor Cobble to my palette. The next update will likely be about the town!

I would like to apply for thhamlet1. I was thinking 9 Houses with 6 Farmers, 1 Butcher, 1 Cobbler, and 1 Baker and a Barn for storage.

Enah

Skinchanger
A baker is more of a town profession, and the farmers would butcher for themselves. Also, the map you shared is very hard to read, what is the purple circle? And what do your house tests look like? Is there a reason they have a cobbler or anything else in this place, why did they settle here? Always ask why people would live where they choose to live

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I agree with enah that you need to do a bit more for the app like (for example) labelling the map. Also, I agree with enah that your choice of professions is a bit odd. Rather than a professional baker, I'd prefer to have a communal bake house in the vein of the one enah built at /warp hawthornehamlet2. And butchers and cobblers don't really fit. If you are still planning to have professions, think about what would be needed in the area. The hamlet is right by a septry and several farms, and it is also right next to Drox. The septry and farms might need things like rope, tiles, earthenware, bricklaying, etc. for normal operation. Keep in mind, though, that because it is right by Drox, which is a port town, it wouldn't likely need much in the way of craftsmen that would be easily accessible maybe an hour away in Drox.

Kuzlov

Messenger
I agree with enah that you need to do a bit more for the app like (for example) labelling the map. Also, I agree with enah that your choice of professions is a bit odd. Rather than a professional baker, I'd prefer to have a communal bake house in the vein of the one enah built at /warp hawthornehamlet2. And butchers and cobblers don't really fit. If you are still planning to have professions, think about what would be needed in the area. The hamlet is right by a septry and several farms, and it is also right next to Drox. The septry and farms might need things like rope, tiles, earthenware, bricklaying, etc. for normal operation. Keep in mind, though, that because it is right by Drox, which is a port town, it wouldn't likely need much in the way of craftsmen that would be easily accessible maybe an hour away in Drox.

I'll be the first to admit when I messed up, and admit I really rushed into that first app. Here's my new revised app, thanks for all the feedback I took it into consideration and made quite a few changes and additions. I tried to keep pastures on the steeper areas and fields on the flatter terrain. I mention it in the app but I decided against having any professions in the hamlet after spending some time googling medieval professions I couldn't find any I felt would make sense in the hamlet given that the city and sept are right there and would probably have better access to materials and facilities for skilled laborers. Attached is the PDF for my application.

Attachments

• ThHamlet1.pdf
    960 KB · Views: 55