Approved Mance's Camp - A Farewell Project to Otty's Sanity

SeapunkPeaches

Cersei's Left Bob
I've faced a similar problem while planning the now long forgotten Renly's camp. If you're worrying the camp will end up visually looking too small and not vast enough, try to play with different terrain features and camp plotting to get something closer to what you want. Don't just try to make it as difficult and complex as possible because you think it'll be rewarding and beneficial to you for whatever reason. You'll have more than enough work with an appropriately scaled camp :p

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
I will be completely transparent about this. I proofread this once. So sorry if I butchered the English language.
Either way, I also suggest you take a look at my plot and see the extra-tests ingame. I also have a large Terraforming test completed there as well. I have been having issues with Screenshots in-game so I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
I hopefully covered all things necessary. I tried my best getting everything in my head into an understandable format and document.

https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/track?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:9b412c21-bbd1-4fba-a324-345f03196955

Last edited:

Iwan

Boldtown
Staff member
Thanks for the update, otty. A few more or less loose thoughts on things.

##
Excellent research, great tests (I left one or two melons), I'm confident you can tackle this part of the project with ease. I just want to emphasise here that everything needs to be short term and makeshift than permanent. Cattle wouldn#t be held in fenced pastures but roam freely (and leave traces), etc etc. Similar traces need to be shown in formerly abandonded areas!

##
The Cave Dwellers will have to make do with tents, I fear, unless canon dictates that they lived in caves at that particular spot they were in at the end of book 1. It's highly unlikely they'd find a cave at every resting spot, so they'd be equipped just like the other people.

##
I'm still not sure if we both agree on the extent of the necessary terrain updates, however. The rivers all are still original WorldPainter ones and suck ass big time. They need to be redone entirely (but I'm not saying you need to redo all of them!) I know you've started digging into terraforming, but I have no idea how confident you are with it. It's tricky terrain, and a lot of work. We have to find a solution for this, ideally one that won't dump this on my feet, as I really got to get going on that thing on the other end of the continent...

That's the rivers.

##
As for the snow layers, we can avoid removing those and then having to awkwardly add them back in afterwards.
  1. select the area you want to build/plot on
  2. stack it up in the air
  3. remove all blocks but the snow layers from that copy (map the snow layers to placeholder blocks to avoid accidents)
  4. remove all snow layers from the original, leaving us with regular terrain
  5. plot and build. Mark roads and open spaces with a placeholder block
  6. copy that snow layer blanket back, mapping it only to air blocks (gmask 0)
  7. fix mistakes

##
I'm inclined to approve, but before I do, I'd like to ask you for yet another map. I'd like to see the different routes everyone took to get where they are now, as well as maybe a few impressions of how we could portray those signs of former travel.

Thanks!

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Thanks for the update, otty. A few more or less loose thoughts on things.

##
Excellent research, great tests (I left one or two melons), I'm confident you can tackle this part of the project with ease. I just want to emphasise here that everything needs to be short term and makeshift than permanent. Cattle wouldn#t be held in fenced pastures but roam freely (and leave traces), etc etc. Similar traces need to be shown in formerly abandonded areas!

##
The Cave Dwellers will have to make do with tents, I fear, unless canon dictates that they lived in caves at that particular spot they were in at the end of book 1. It's highly unlikely they'd find a cave at every resting spot, so they'd be equipped just like the other people.

##
I'm still not sure if we both agree on the extent of the necessary terrain updates, however. The rivers all are still original WorldPainter ones and suck ass big time. They need to be redone entirely (but I'm not saying you need to redo all of them!) I know you've started digging into terraforming, but I have no idea how confident you are with it. It's tricky terrain, and a lot of work. We have to find a solution for this, ideally one that won't dump this on my feet, as I really got to get going on that thing on the other end of the continent...

That's the rivers.

##
As for the snow layers, we can avoid removing those and then having to awkwardly add them back in afterward.
  3. remove all blocks but the snow layers from that copy (map the snow layers to placeholder blocks to avoid accidents)
  7. fix mistakes

##
I'm inclined to approve, but before I do, I'd like to ask you for yet another map. I'd like to see the different routes everyone took to get where they are now, as well as maybe a few impressions of how we could portray those signs of former travel.

Thanks!

Ahh yes, pens were not the best word and really probably should been have "pasture." However, a few things such as hen cages, horse-ties or other signs of animals will be needed as well just to indicate to visitors the existence of such animals. Otherwise, I agree.

Fair enough, this was a story-over-logic scenario. Sad to see Birdman the caves go. Their tents instead will be primarily A-frames and the Lean-too. They ate purportedly ate bugs, and painted their faces green purple. Minor signs of dye will be in place. IE A woman crushing up herbs to paint on her son's face. And I would maybe like to see if we can, by creating a small rock-overhang for them to preside under? Just enough of an alcove for hose who were lucky to crowd under.

No, I agree, sorry if my phase one made it seem simplified. I just stated exactly what I had done during my WE test. All of which was cleared and redone. The snow is about as good as I could get it. But I got advice from Cash from Carci about a trick to handle the smoothing of snow. But no the river isn't just receiving a touch-up, but to the best of my ability have a redo, as where the water begins/ends.... is terrible.

Can do! I will also find a new home for those Cave Dwellers.

I'll be gone for some time in the Rocky Mountains — and will closely exam the rivers there — so a response/ update may be delayed.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Perhaps Birdman's caves could be moved to wherever the Cave Dwellers started to journey out from.

Reactions: Iwan

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
##
As for the snow layers, we can avoid removing those and then having to awkwardly add them back in afterwards.
  7. fix mistakes

Just to also help with this point, when plotting over nice worldpainted smooth snow, as a general rule I would place all the wool plot blocks on top of the snow layers, and would wait until the last minute to replace the snow layers beneath them so you can preserve as much of the original snow layers as possible.

When plotting out things like paths with WE brushes you can use use a /mask [0]&>[78] to only paint on the surface above the snow too. Then when you're happy with the path you reverse the mask to be /mask [78]&<[35] to replace only the snow below the final wool plots.

Reactions: AerioOndos

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
MancesMap.jpg
MancesMap3.jpgLastly, I have a weird proposal and it's probably one that'd be rejected but I would really like to try in on a small scale.
I do not want to plot tents. Not because I don't want to take the time to do so but, because I want builders to plot it themselves.
I want to open up small sections that would contain 20-30 tents and give an outline above informing them exactly what the area should contain. For example:

This section is the northernmost section of the Ice-River clans. Since this is the edge I want it to be a bit more spread out and would like to see large spaces between the tents. It is here that they keep most of the fish and seal skins to dry. So provide plenty of space for that to be presented and ensure that you are building this in-addition to every tent or so. I want mainly white tents about 75%, and 25% brown. Please make 20 yurts, and 10 A-frames. Please also build a communal tent at the southern edge and a large open space in front where the majority of fish and seal skin is drying. Mammoth also live up north to this space so please indicate their existence through sleds, prints and ... piles of feces (?)

This space would be outlined in the air like we do for most server builds.

It may not work out. People may not read it. It might be terrible but, I want to encourage individual thinking versus one builder naturally wanting to organize things. If I let builders plot it would allow for natural chaos while also potentially encouraging a plotting method I would have not otherwise done.

Or if you think it would be better, I could also divide each clan into 5-10 mini's to encourage this random/individual thinking but in a more conventional manner of wool plots.

Other notes:

-Light Blue Wool tests are new tests on my plot to check out.
-Cave Dwellers will be southwest of the Frozen Shore Men in terms of the Mances Camp plotting. I will add overhangs similar to my Contest2019 plot.
- There will be a pass made through the mountains for them to get from the first camp to the second camp. All that is highlight red on this map is the area that will be REDONE Including the surrounding mountains.
-Yes, we will include signs of the former campsites.

- How will we manage the previous existence of clans? We need to indicate their former homes' dwellings. I suggest including these clans to the project list as an abandoned space.

Last edited:

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
In lieu of Mr Enah, I'll step in as an approving mod.

Feel free to coerce me into helping any way I can.

A yup Veggie! Glad to have as fine of a replacement mod as you. Sorry, I've been inactive, school, friends, friends being hospitalized (again -_-) and fencing have me very preoccupied this semester and continue to worsen. So, unfortunately, progress has halted significantly and will probably not pick back up till mid-December after exams. I currently have my in situ reference model with the creek and mountains done. This is simply a location to base the rest of my large terraforming off of vs. the small models on my plot. Let me know if you think that area is working. There is forestry to be added, but thats another problem for a different time. Let me know what you think of it so far or if there are any directions I should head.

Welcome to the free folk.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Heya, after I’ve got Norrey done (mainly trees, roads and fields) I’d like to help out with Mance’s. That could include plotting/style things like you mentioned on the rookery thread or terra.

Reactions: Emoticone11

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Heya, after I’ve got Norrey done (mainly trees, roads and fields) I’d like to help out with Mance’s. That could include plotting/style things like you mentioned on the rookery thread or terra.
Absolutey! I may have a short bit of breathing moment to get online here due to class cancelation before things pick back up, I'll let you know where the help hand can go, or where you can maybe start.Just don't forget as mentioned in the thread, if you are interested I would like to see that you can correctly build the tents to manage them. :) But always a fellow northerner who has suffered the treachery of snow is welcomed.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hi Otty,
Something I noticed while going around the lands you have terraformed is that the waterways very quickly go from being small 1 block wide streams to 10 blocks wide and more. If it were spring and there was snowmelt, that would definitely be possible but at the moment it seems a bit of a stretch.

Am I misinterpretting the blue wool and how it works?

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Hi Otty,
Something I noticed while going around the lands you have terraformed is that the waterways very quickly go from being small 1 block wide streams to 10 blocks wide and more. If it were spring and there was snowmelt, that would definitely be possible but at the moment it seems a bit of a stretch.

Am I misinterpretting the blue wool and how it works?

Honestly, I just wasn't all that great at voxel yet.

My newer portions are coming together with a little better in my opinion. I also had the concern beginning about getting it to connect to the main branch correctly, so I was scared to touch it much.

Some of the shorelines are also to be rocky and icy, decreasing their size. And all rivers will begin in Ice.

The "done" part of the river may not remain, as I couldn't logically connect it to a source. However, it served as an example for me to follow when working on rivers. I only keep the river there because I like the bottom half and how it's carved in the rock.

Frankly, I am looking at going back to test and with my new skills, finding a new method of terraforming with snow I am just am not as happy with it as I want to be.

Reactions: AerioOndos

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hi Otty,

I am interested in helping out with some of Mance's camp and so have been looking through this thread again and noticed something weird.

In an above post you have positioned the Ice River far north of every map I have seen, in the lands of Always Winter, with the Frozen Shore also in the Lands of Always Winter.
The Frozen Shore is directly North of Bear Island and has been the launching point of Wilding raids. They wouldn't launch raids from that far western edge indicated in the map.
Here is an Imgur link with my evidence I compiled. For some reason Otty's original map on this page is not showing up in the embedded imgur file.

Also I noticed that many maps, including a map of the North in one of the books, indicates there is an island at the mouth of the Ice River(s), which might be a very interesting area to create.

Last edited:
Reactions: DjTorec and Ric