White Harbor Sprawl Plotting Applications

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'm going to open /warp WHglass for application now... it's a forest glass making hamlet between Moss and White Harbor. It might be one of the the last areas of house plots remaining in WH Sprawl :( (although there is that area across the White Knife that @Enah made a map for, not really sure what the plans are for that)

Reactions: CashBanks

Enah

Skinchanger
Whatever you want them to be I only made a map to potentially make a settlement as White Harbour needs multiple satellite communities and farms to ensure a steady food supply. Even with the ones in place, extra never hurts in Westeros

Reactions: AerioOndos

Enah

Skinchanger
I’m fine with others taking a shot at the area, or if they wanna use my ideas whichever produces a more lively and dynamic environment

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Looks good to me, approved! Just let me know before it's ready to be opened so I can go through and see if the plotting could use any last minute adjustments.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'm opening up the area across the White Knife (/warp wh5) for application as well. Here's a map Enah made for it a little while ago:

b8b3ae7346.png

If you're interested, feel free to follow Enah's plans, modify them, or go your own way if you feel inspired.

Augurex

Poet
Well, that’s timely, because I just had an idea earlier this evening for a potential build on the other side of the Whiteknife.

What if there were some sort of grayscale hospital run by septons? It wouldn’t be in the city, that wouldn’t be allowed, but still close enough to White Harbor that the Seven would still have sway. Being across the Whiteknife would be an extra psychological buffer, putting an entire river between the city and Westeros’ version of lepers.

Grayscale is more common in cold, damp places, which I imagine WH to be, plus it’s a port city, so there might be some kind of sense in having a place to quarantine travelers from Essos found to be afflicted.

It might be completely unrealistic, I don’t know. Thoughts?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
A septon hospital somewhere would be cool, but yeah I wonder how many cases of greyscale you’d have in Westeros, let alone the North, and if anyone outside the Citadel would bother treating it (weren’t some just sent off to Valyria?)

Augurex

Poet
Isn't grayscale really rare in Westeros?

That was my impression, too, but it becomes more prevalent in cold, damp places, like the Iron Islands or Dragonstone. White Harbor is certainly a cold place, and considering it is right by the water, it’s probably quite damp, too. Also, it seems to be more common amongst children, for whatever reason. There would be no lack of pious parents at White Harbor sending their afflicted children to someplace, any place, that might profess to treat the disease.

Also, what about travelers from Essos, where we get the impression from ADWD that greyscale is more widespread? There must be a reason greyscale is rarer in Westeros; the Narrow Sea funnels potential contagious sufferers down to a few ports of entry. Considering the nefarious reputation of the disease, it wouldn’t surprise me if Westerosi were especially alert to it, even if the chance of contracting it as an adult is really quite unlikely.

All of this is purely speculative, I realize.

A septon hospital somewhere would be cool, but yeah I wonder how many cases of greyscale you’d have in Westeros, let alone the North, and if anyone outside the Citadel would bother treating it (weren’t some just sent off to Valyria?)

In medieval times, hospitals were administered by the clergy more often than not. Even if we set aside the whole greyscale element, I think there’s still a lot of potential in the idea of a septon-run hospital. It could also double as lodging for travelers (“hostel” and “hospital”).

Reactions: thecoddfish

Enah

Skinchanger
Greyscale isn’t common in Westeros, and if it is, then they’d be sent to the citadel like in the show. Or, outright murdered. Greyscale is incurable, and even those who survive (shireen) are doomed to a lonely life or worse.

Most sentries honestly should have a hospital though. An infirmary at minimum and the cities would have hospitals for sure. Irl rural England had hospitals all over often part of monasteries or warrior orders like the Templars

lord_damascus

Bard
2 lumber camps at holt are in need of a tender builders love there already plotted out just need a hand finishing them off as my skills to build tent aren't the best, speak to me and emot for info :)

Reactions: AerioOndos