White Harbor Sprawl Plotting Applications

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Lyl:

Finally got a chance to look at it, amazing job! :D Regarding the wall-side plots, I wouldn't have actual houses there, but I think smaller structures - chicken coops, etc. - would look nice. Also, very minor thing, but I'd recommend raising the thin pines a block or so, the way the leaves are touching right on the ground looks a little strange. Other than that, you have my permission to open it for people!

Cash:

Love the whales! I have a few bits of feedback so far, though it's off to a good start overall:

1. The beach terra needs a bit of work, primarily being made flatter and smoother (less jagged edges, etc.). Since the beach is on a bay, the beach would be very flat and gradual. The land before was very rough and still needs a fair amount of cleaning, such as going over it with some disc brushes and smooth brushes. Let me know if you want any more tips on this aspect.

2. I'd move the whaler complex inland a bit more, and also make it a bit more of a "complex". I'm not sure that the plots currently are as cohesive as they could be. Make sure to consider the 3D image of the complex from a bunch of different perspectives as well.

Good start otherwise though! I don't see much of the problem with the farmhouses more inland, and the position of the inn seems good to me.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Lyl:
Cash:

Love the whales! I have a few bits of feedback so far, though it's off to a good start overall:

1. The beach terra needs a bit of work, primarily being made flatter and smoother (less jagged edges, etc.). Since the beach is on a bay, the beach would be very flat and gradual. The land before was very rough and still needs a fair amount of cleaning, such as going over it with some disc brushes and smooth brushes. Let me know if you want any more tips on this aspect.

Thanks Emote, yeah the beach has been a head scratcher for me, I went to town with the /b snow brush (then made a script to replace the snow layers with sand no big deal) but it's been a real struggle to make it look smooth, and there's so much beach it might kill me to do it all as it's currently done. It would be a bit more straightforward to lower the height of the beach, so more of a grass slope leading down to the sand.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, you never want to jump straight to /b snow as a first step. The process I've found to be the quickest for making beaches is 1) pushing all of the existing landscape back a little bit to create some space to work with, 2) painting the most important layers (i.e. the ones close to the water) using a sand disc brush, in order to make the layers flat and the edges smooth, 3) using /b e fill and /b e smooth to fill in the to-be-underwater bits, and then 4) doing /b snow and trying to make sure you get a nice gradual slope on the beach.

Generally with the disc brush, I try to make each "layer" of the beach about 8-wide or so, so I can get the full smooth transition using the sand layers.

It seems like a lot but it's not too bad once you get a flow down, I was able to do larger portions of the wickenden beaches in a couple days (and that had a few extra steps).

Reactions: CashBanks

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
That's looking better! Then when you're done you can start adding some small details, like beach grass (esp on the dunes), dead seaweed, rocks, etc.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I've been thinking about what to do with the area to the south east of the city behind the whaling facilities and thought maybe some grain fields/windmills could work? It doesn't look like we have any windmills currently plotted for the city, and this wouldn't be a bad spot for them.

I'm probably more curious about whether crops would be viable given it's so close to the ocean, but I think there are some examples of this in Scandinavian climates.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I can agree with some windmills and fields in that area. Do you know what sorts of crops are grown in the Scandanavian examples you mentioned?

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I'm thinking Rye would make the most sense. It's grown in Scandanavia, and according to my expert sources at the Wikipedia:
"Rye grows well in much poorer soils than those necessary for most cereal grains. Thus, it is an especially valuable crop in regions where the soil has sand or peat. Rye plants withstand cold better than other small grains do. Rye will survive with snow cover that would otherwise result in winter-kill for winter wheat."

So it's a grain useful for flour, rye bread, beer, whiskeys, vodka and animal fodder, it can survive cold climates and can handle sandy soil, and it was ground in windmills. Sounds perfect for some fields along the coast of White Harbor.

Lyliana

Bard
Can't help myself:
Section 3,6, and 7
Doing these together seemed like a good idea. Section 7 is largely empty and 3 and 6 are small, but very dense areas. With the tannery area to the west I've decided to do a warehouse section along that border as a buffer with a more industrial feel. There will be more professions in this area compared to Sheepgate. Most of the north will come into Whiteharbor this way I think so traffic would be heavyish. The area will still be of low class but there will be buildings of the white stone variety here.
Note that in the density map the road around the wall is painted much closer to the wall than it is in game. Because of this I have added roads and buildings on the wall side of the "main" road to bridge the larger gap but have still left roughly the same buffer area of emptiness as is at the other gates.

If anyone has some ideas or things they'd like to see incorporated like professions or shops crops or whatever let me know. Thanks For Reading!

WH Sprawl.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Plans look awesome Lyl!

takemymoney.jpg

*Approval

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Nice insp, tho your execution looks too heavy, I'd use wood (try northern wood for the grey color) for the upper part.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks Nuggs, here's a test with the jungle bark logs (closest match to northern wood planks?) and the KL ailerons.

2. Northern wood plank blocks, spruce wood aileron
3. Northern wood planks + northern wood stairs, KL aileron
4. Northern wood planks + thin jungle wood logs, KL aileron

I'm kind of leaning towards option 3 since the stairs help to soften it a bit, and unless I used another type of block as a base I'm not sure the thin logs/walls won't look a bit obvious.

Reactions: Luciano_I

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Thanks to Kor's excellent terraforming to the NorthEast, I've updated this map with some more options!

Note that two of the new regions have special builds (marked by asterisks) and these require a more substantial application (posted seperately to this thread) with more detail and planning.

Let's get this sprawl plotted! :D