Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
People are using the Winterfell Crypt blocks in a lot of places though :I Including at your graveyard in White Harbor. .

Well I guess I personally haven’t seen it used substantially outside Winterfell, and as far as I know it was only used in the graveyard as a ground level block where the actual distinctive murals weren’t visible.

My original understanding was that it would be a HG only block since I see your point that it would be tempting to use on other Reach projects that could out date older projects. I think there’s reasonable steps we can take to make sure that happens, like calling it Highgarden Wood Panels, or even changing its name after HG is finished to DO NOT USE.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
My original understanding was that it would be a HG only block since I see your point that it would be tempting to use on other Reach projects that could out date older projects. I think there’s reasonable steps we can take to make sure that happens, like calling it Highgarden Wood Panels, or even changing its name after HG is finished to DO NOT USE.
Welcome to Westeroscraft, where Winterfell granite is used in the south, Northern carvings are popular in various parts of the kingdom, Northern wood is found all over the place, Eyrie marble or any location specific marble is used at will, Stormlands cobble is one of the primary materials for roads, and Oldtown stone found its way outside of the Oldtown area before it was even added to the texture pack.

I'm sure I missed a couple but there is no such thing as a project specific block on this server.

As for my opinion on the block, I think it'd be fine if the contrast between the light parts and the darker parts would be less, so it actually looks like carved wood rather than wood with gold ornamentation. I think that if you don't want people to use the block outside of Highgarden, you've got to hand them an alternative (like a less ornate carving).

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, "region restrictions" don't work. I'll consider the Reach carving, since I did add some other fairly general blocks (panel walls etc.) on request of the build leads. But I'm on the fence right now. In general, I don't think we need a less ornate or general wood carving that can be used anywhere. We tried that with the North, and it looked terrible (IMO), with even rural peasant houses having artisan carvings in back of their bed, above the door, etc.

I'm not trying to make this into an argument, so please don't read my tone as angry or anything (it's not), but: I find it pretty unfair that a few people on the server have gotten accustomed to approaching Cash about making textures for new blocks behind my back, so that I'm guilt-tripped into adding them out of fear of wasting his hard and talented work.

I think Cash already knows this (as I talked with him about it before), but I just want to make it clear: There is no guarantee that I will add blocks for anything unless they have already been pre-approved and commissioned. Cash (or anyone else) is absolutely free to do texture work outside of that, since (a) it's fun and (b) it might be useful in the future or outside of our present building, but people should not expect that the textures will be added.

As the de-facto resource pack lead, I feel a responsibility not only to maintain the quality/cohesiveness of our pack, but also to put controls on our artistic direction in general to ensure that we have sufficient freedom to create new and interesting styles for special locations on the server, while not straying from our common goal (as outlined in the no redo rule). I've been doing this for some time, and while I'm sometimes suprised by where new block additions end up, I generally have a pretty seasoned sense of which additions can push us off of that path, versus ones which don't have as much impact. If I had added every single block people have suggested between the end of KL and the present, people would likely be hankering for a KL redo already. It's because of carefully vetting block suggestions that pretty much the only substantial way KL might be considered outdated is some of the growing pains from removing logs from our house style around the beginning. Most of the sprawl still feels pretty new, and it was built over a year ago by now, IIRC.

Anyways, sorry for going on a tangent, but I just wanted to make my stance clear again. A number of builders joined around the time when I made a series of exciting updates (with the pebbles and all - actually, I should note that I'm more amicable with natural textures since much of our terraforming still remains to be done), but that doesn't mean I've relaxed my position on capping general block additions.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Yeah, "region restrictions" don't work. I'll consider the Reach carving, since I did add some other fairly general blocks (panel walls etc.) on request of the build leads. But I'm on the fence right now. In general, I don't think we need a less ornate or general wood carving that can be used anywhere. We tried that with the North, and it looked terrible (IMO), with even rural peasant houses having artisan carvings in back of their bed, above the door, etc.

I'm not trying to make this into an argument, so please don't read my tone as angry or anything (it's not), but: I find it pretty unfair that a few people on the server have gotten accustomed to approaching Cash about making textures for new blocks behind my back, so that I'm guilt-tripped into adding them out of fear of wasting his hard and talented work.

I think Cash already knows this (as I talked with him about it before), but I just want to make it clear: There is no guarantee that I will add blocks for anything unless they have already been pre-approved and commissioned. Cash (or anyone else) is absolutely free to do texture work outside of that, since (a) it's fun and (b) it might be useful in the future or outside of our present building, but people should not expect that the textures will be added.

As the de-facto resource pack lead, I feel a responsibility not only to maintain the quality/cohesiveness of our pack, but also to put controls on our artistic direction in general to ensure that we have sufficient freedom to create new and interesting styles for special locations on the server, while not straying from our common goal (as outlined in the no redo rule). I've been doing this for some time, and while I'm sometimes suprised by where new block additions end up, I generally have a pretty seasoned sense of which additions can push us off of that path, versus ones which don't have as much impact. If I had added every single block people have suggested between the end of KL and the present, people would likely be hankering for a KL redo already. It's because of carefully vetting block suggestions that pretty much the only substantial way KL might be considered outdated is some of the growing pains from removing logs from our house style around the beginning. Most of the sprawl still feels pretty new, and it was built over a year ago by now, IIRC.

Anyways, sorry for going on a tangent, but I just wanted to make my stance clear again. A number of builders joined around the time when I made a series of exciting updates (with the pebbles and all - actually, I should note that I'm more amicable with natural textures since much of our terraforming still remains to be done), but that doesn't mean I've relaxed my position on capping general block additions.

Message received, I think there’s always benefit to these discussions and exploring all the options on the table, but I also hate to force you to play the bad guy. I enjoy the playing with texture ideas as much as I enjoy testing out ideas for server builds, so I’m fine either way, since I think it all just serves the useful purpose of sparking discussion on the subject.

Anyway, I’ll take another crack at the mural since that’s one we definitely need, Enah’s given me some inspiration that I’m keen to explore so I’ll let you know when I’ve got something to bring to show and tell.

Last edited:

Enah

Skinchanger
A lot of those have been said to cause issues. As I don’t know the actual details I’m not going to advocate using them and such. Though I know there’s a goal to rid ourselves of vanilla entirely?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
It's not really that they cause issues so much as that we've been trying to follow good design practices, i.e. making sure the use and appearance of the block matches the intended purpose of the block. Using the vanilla blocks runs a risk of getting screwed if Mojang decides to add additional features to an existing block, which is probably pretty safe for things like stone, but less so for some of the blocks in "redstone" and "transportation" for example. And it's just cleaner/better design to have modularity, keeping all the blocks we need within our modpack.

Boliiid

Storyteller
Hi there! I noticed that the Pebbles "eastern island" (layers) doesn't change texture depending on the biome like the pebbles block does...Pebbles layer.pngThis picture is taken in the jungle biome with the wet version to the left and dry version to the right with each representative layer diagonally behind its block counterpart

Enah

Skinchanger
Oh, when I suggested Viking style carvings I meant more like this. But the whale looks tribal and kinda cool

Attachments

• EE8F5E2E-3422-42B1-9F29-140F0D8AD86D.jpeg
    EE8F5E2E-3422-42B1-9F29-140F0D8AD86D.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 19
  • 96223CE2-373F-47AE-BD28-0FE26D72666B.jpeg
    96223CE2-373F-47AE-BD28-0FE26D72666B.jpeg
    178.7 KB · Views: 18

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Yeah I looked at that kind stuff but the canons pretty clear about the creatures being painted, but in any case the knots are super hard haha. Settled on something that was emulating this kind of style. upload_2018-11-26_22-31-10.jpeg

Reactions: Elduwin and Enah