Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Are we getting the etchings that @Thamus_Knoward made for the Great Roads?

Not in the present update, because last I heard about them Dutch said they were still WIP.

If the northern wood yellow daub is too bright for the northern wood areas, we could tone down the yellow daub to create a more fitting shade for the intended regions.

Hmm, maybe. Which additional regions do you think the northern yellow infill variant should be applicable to?

Is there a reason the Shield Islands have been left out of the Reach brick zone?

No strong reason, I just remember LHT not using them (but couldn't double-check so I might be wrong).

• Sad
Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

mdmeaux

Envoy
No strong reason, I just remember LHT not using them (but couldn't double-check so I might be wrong).
I think I when they came out I was just finishing off the project, and I can't remember if I updated some of the houses with them (I definitely thought about it though). Either way, I personally don't see why project leads shouldn't be able to use them on the other islands in the future.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hmm, maybe. Which additional regions do you think the northern yellow infill variant should be applicable to?
Stormlands around Storm's End or north of the Red Mountains (Baratheon colours) and the Riverlands/Crownlands could be a contender for it. I'm not sure what the consensus is on timber frame in the North but it seems yellow is the national colour of the Barrowlands.

I intended the coloured daub variants to be used sporadically. They're not supposed to paint entire regions in a specific colour, but to add a little variation in certain areas of Westeros. I wouldn't assign specific regions to these blocks other than indicating they're not intended and should not be used as the main set of daub colour in a project.

The new brick/stone variants however are intended for heavy use, and should/could be used wherever the terrainset matches the colour stone in the block.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think I when they came out I was just finishing off the project, and I can't remember if I updated some of the houses with them (I definitely thought about it though). Either way, I personally don't see why project leads shouldn't be able to use them on the other islands in the future.

My main reasoning was that if the largest town on the islands doesn't use timber framing, it probably doesn't make sense for smaller/rural settlements on the island to use them either. There probably wouldn't be a lot of timber on the islands so it would be mostly imported. If you've used the block in LHT though, that's fine, the region can include the islands.

I intended the coloured daub variants to be used sporadically. They're not supposed to paint entire regions in a specific colour, but to add a little variation in certain areas of Westeros. I wouldn't assign specific regions to these blocks other than indicating they're not intended and should not be used as the main set of daub colour in a project.

Right - I didn't mean it to be a primary block in any of the regions I've indicated, but rather just showing the bounds of where it's an acceptable accent block.

The new brick/stone variants however are intended for heavy use, and should/could be used wherever the terrainset matches the colour stone in the block.

I somewhat agree, but I'd add that the timbered stone variants shouldn't be used everywhere the base stone blocks are used, since in some less forested places it isn't really economical and they'd probably just use cobbled stone instead (e.g., my region for the timbered light grey stone includes the Fingers in the Vale, but realistically this area probably wouldn't have them at all because it's canonically a very infertile and rocky region).

Stormlands around Storm's End or north of the Red Mountains (Baratheon colours) and the Riverlands/Crownlands could be a contender for it. I'm not sure what the consensus is on timber frame in the North but it seems yellow is the national colour of the Barrowlands.

Okay, will try to refine the map in a bit. Barrowton is canonically a wooden town, so I'm not sure about using any of the timber blocks there.

Since the update still isn't out yet, I'm going to try to sneak in a ninja edit of the northern yellow block to make it a bit paler.

Reactions: EStoop

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Here are some of my thoughts on white/colour washing based on what I know irl. Not sure how relevant that is to us necessarily but here goes:

Whitewash (limewash) is just lime putty watered down to a liquid form, and applied using a large brush. Here's a video of someone doing it for context.

It is pretty easy and historically quite common for limewash to be coloured using earth pigments. Therefore, if we want to create some sort of logic for what colours exist where, I think we need to look at what might be available to use as pigment nearby. Blues and greens are more rare and expensive than reds and yellows. It's also important to note that pigments could be traded across regions so the odd "out-of-place" coloured house here and there would be an honest reflection of reality.

Whitewash is just uncoloured limewash, and is usually cheaper and therefore more of a class than a regional distinction. To make limewash from lime putty all you need is limestone, and a kiln hot enough to burn it. Limestone can be found pretty much anywhere, so it stands to reason that whitewash could be found almost anywhere. In my original post about whitewash I think I mentioned about maybe defining its use based on climatic need, as the wash helps to deter rot and bug infestation, so wherever those are common you might expect to see whitewashed buildings.

Also just a side note on stone/brick D&W, even though its far too late to do anything about this. But there is zero historical evidence that brick infill was ever used in initial timber frame construction. It was always added later as a fireproofing measure. Logically, if you had that many bricks lying around you'd just make a brick building.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
New color:

c0675c8948.png

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Also just a side note on stone/brick D&W, even though its far too late to do anything about this. But there is zero historical evidence that brick infill was ever used in initial timber frame construction. It was always added later as a fireproofing measure. Logically, if you had that many bricks lying around you'd just make a brick building.
While it's true for the middle ages, timber frame buildings from the 18th century onwards in the eastern Netherlands were build directly with stone infill. It's a regional thing though, since the south of the country never did this.

However, locations in Westeros are hundreds of years old, so it's not neccesarily inaccurate to depict timber frame with a stone infill as residents would have to replace various parts of their homes over time.

On a side note, building a structurally sound wall entirely out of stone takes up more than twice the amount of stone you'd use to fill the timber frame (at least with brick), since such walls are at least two bricks thick if not more.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Update is up! Will make a post (probably tomorrow) with the final changelog, some general guidelines on updating stuff, and an updated version of the timber map. Please try not to go too crazy with the new stuff!

The terrainsets and ore blocks will have overlay CTM soon, but it's delayed a bit because Tham and I are still trying to work out some kinks.

Also, try to hold off on replacing table windows in larger towns for a little bit - I think it should be scriptable using something like the following:

//replace <tableID>&|[<listOfIDs>][2][2] <woodenFrameID>

Where <listOfIDs> is a list of all blocks that are possibly next to the table windows (which can be found by sampling a large number in the town being fixed). This command will only replace tables if they have two and exactly two blocks from the list adjacent (one on each side), so it should fix the table windows without affecting normal uses of the table (though we need to test this idea a bit more to prevent corner tables from being replaced).

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Sounds hot! In all seriousness though, what kinks are those again? Alt colors?

Some terrainsets don’t blend with each other that should, and also I noticed a few noisy pixels in some of the overlays which I presume are due to the transparency issue you mentioned to me a couple days ago.

Check Disc, I sent you a message there.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Updated the map:

- Created an extended close-studding area (the dotted line) where use of these variants is acceptable, though not as a primary material.

- Expended pale yellow to include most of the Riverlands and Northeastern Stormlands (around Storm's End area).

- Expanded whitewashed region a bit to connect areas where it's presently used and/or canon.

- Included shield islands in Reach region.

For cities like Oldtown/KL/etc. and large coastal port towns, it probably makes sense to have a bit more diversity in styles due to the wealth and trade of materials. I didn't mark all the possibilities on the map, but these will be treated a bit more flexibly than other places. However, I still think only a subset of the variants should be used in the cities to help preserve distinctive styles, e.g., for KL I think we should stick to primarily the red & pale yellow variants, possibly oak orange/yellow, and avoid the blue/green variants.

If you still feel that the regions should be modified, or you want to use a variant in your project that's not allowed according to the regions here, please make a post here, or alternatively an appeal in your project thread to use the variant, the same as you would do for any other major change. Otherwise, you may be asked to change your style during post-approval of your project.

(I'm going to include most of this info in a new thread about the update, but I just want to get some quick thoughts here)

D&WMap.png

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
Thamus_Knoward Is there any reason the flagstone block doesn't have a top texture different from the side texture?
When used on the ground/as stalagmite, it looks like it's flowing on the top as well.
Would it be possible to try some sort of circular, mushroom-top like texture?
Another thing, is the hemp texture finished? Afaik, the last pics I saw were pretty good.

For a new request, I was wondering if we could implement a few new plants for Arbor/Torrentine Valley/Dorne. Some ideas:
- aloe vera
- opuntia (maybe with a CTM, for 2-3 blocks high? maybe even a random variant with red figs?)
- cacti (round, tall thin, etc), or greasy plants
It could use the unshaded grass texture set on desert biome.