Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

mdmeaux

Envoy
What is the intended use for the Terrainset alts? Are they meant to be used in conjunction with the originals, or completely separately? If they are meant to be used in conjunction with, I think that the stormlands alt contrasts too much with the normal stormlands terrainset.

Also, could change the name of Clay to be 'Clay Red Plaster', or change the colour of the item in the inventory to red? I was about to comment that there was no Red Plaster block that matched the plaster texture of the Timber Northern Red Frame after I had looked through the entire creative inv twice and found nothing, before I remembered that clay is actually red when placed. Yes, I know I'm nitpicking and complaining here, but it shouldn't be too hard to change, right?

Reactions: Ric

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi everyone,

I ask that you please hold back on new block suggestions for the time being. I try to follow a "plan -> build -> test -> deploy" cycle with the resource pack stuff. We're currently on the testing phase, and I ask that we focus on feedback on the newly added textures so we can get this deployed sooner rather than later (I've been meaning to organize the way that block requests are made too, but keep putting it off). For the next update I plan to focus mostly on the additions we need for Sunspear/Dorne, but should have room for some of the minor additions that were mentioned.

Looks like the new ore textures aren't in the change log, people should look at those too if they get a chance

That's weird; could have sworn I added that to the changelog. Looks like I also forgot to add Tham's volcanic rock texture that I added as another terrainset.

So I travelled to Lannisport on the test server and now there is something making me crash there.

I also crashed on the test server recently (not at Lannisport, forgot where). Have you tried checking the crashlog? Has anyone else had problems with this?

Could the colors of the Redwyne banner be toned down a tad, they're bordering on technicolor. And also the material of the banner "holder" turned into black iron like the other banners as its currently wood.

Once Cash sends me the updated version I can change this.

The new ore blocks are in but they dont CTM to nearby terrain blocks

Right, the overlay CTM for the ores and terrainsets will be coming soon, and will cause them to blend with the terrainsets and each other. Sorry, forgot to mention that.

My one thought on the new double height wood framed windows (which are a game-changer!!) are they meant to have transparent areas in the corners?

Yeah, that was intentional. I mainly just wanted it to seem different from the ornate stone arch window slits and more "timber-like". I can fill in the corners with the respective wood textures if you all want, though.

What is the intended use for the Terrainset alts? Are they meant to be used in conjunction with the originals, or completely separately? If they are meant to be used in conjunction with, I think that the stormlands alt contrasts too much with the normal stormlands terrainset.

We've been trying to abstract away from intended uses of the terrainsets a bit with the recent updates, apart from having certain sets used as the "dominant geology" in each region. All of them need better names at this point, but I haven't decided on anything yet. In general though, the intended use of the alts is to allow for subtle striations. The stormlands alt is included to allow for transitions with some of the other terrainsets, such as in Tham's test here.

Also, could change the name of Clay to be 'Clay Red Plaster', or change the colour of the item in the inventory to red? I was about to comment that there was no Red Plaster block that matched the plaster texture of the Timber Northern Red Frame after I had looked through the entire creative inv twice and found nothing, before I remembered that clay is actually red when placed. Yes, I know I'm nitpicking and complaining here, but it shouldn't be too hard to change, right?

Yeah, that should be pretty easy. I also had trouble finding it earlier :p

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
That's very strange. I've never seen a "Tesselating block in world" error before. If anyone is able to consistently reproduce the error somehow, it'd be super helpful.

Also, note to self: the third "jasmine vines" block in the inventory should be named "dappled moss". I'll fix that before finalizing the update.

EDIT: It seems like placing water fucks my shit up. Would recommend avoiding places with water while testing.

Could someone (who wouldn't mind getting locked out of the test server) try placing all the variants of "crate_block_0" to see if there are any issues there? After placing a water block, it's crashing me every time I try to log on :/

Last edited:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Maybe next time don't test it right where I am looking at all the fancy new blocks haha. I crashed too :(

I have some feedback regarding the blocks, though I'd like to point out first my computer screen isn't the best at properly displaying colour.

Timber frame blocks
They look great!
  • Is the lack of coloured daub & vertical timbers to force us not to abuse the block and add it everywhere? Because I fell in love with the block and want to abuse it everywhere.
  • The whitewashed timberframe doesn't match with the white wood we already have in the texture pack. I really like the washed white though, so maybe we can give the same hue to our existing white woods?
  • The whitewashed timberframe appear very white to me, and I'm wondering wether the block wouldn't look better with the grey wood colour.
  • The timber frame windows look great as well, but you're able to see the timber frame top of the block below, something I usually fix by placing a wooden carpet. Is it possible to either change only the top of daub and wattle to wood (the underside is used in ceilings) or to add a wooden bottom in the block?
Red Fork stone
  • It looks like every variation of the pink block is a different colour.
  • The contrast in the blocks is quite high. The mortars are really dark while the blocks arerelatively light
  • There are a lot of variations. In my opinion the sandstone and light bricks work best.
  • I'd suggest to lean a bit more towards orange-pink, like a more vibrant dun block (our dun).
Blue slate recolour
  • I like the change, but they now look a bit purple-ish blue-grey to me. Could be my monitor though.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Sorry Stoop xD

In any case, we figured out the cause of the crashing. Due to a material bug, if you place water next to water barrels, it'll crash. There should be a fixed version up soon.

Is the lack of coloured daub & vertical timbers to force us not to abuse the block and add it everywhere? Because I fell in love with the block and want to abuse it everywhere.

Are you referring to the "close studding" variant? The reason I didn't add those for every timber + infill color is because, per what Dutch said earlier, it makes sense for these to be a substyle in the southern Crownlands / Kingswood area, rather than used universally. I included the close studding variants that you told me we should have in a previous post.

The timber frame windows look great as well, but you're able to see the timber frame top of the block below, something I usually fix by placing a wooden carpet. Is it possible to either change only the top of daub and wattle to wood (the underside is used in ceilings) or to add a wooden bottom in the block?

The top of daub & wattle can be changed to wood, if it doesn't break anything. Adding a wooden bottom or top to the window block is impossible due to limitations of the vertical CTM method - you'd end up with a horizontal pane on each single block.

I'll defer to Veggie and Arkilstorm for the Red Fork stone.

Last edited:

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
With the Red Fork stone, it's grand to have feedback on it! I'm colourblind and have been making the odd suggestion hoping it's remotely correct, but some people have said the contrast is a bit much.

The number of texture variants is due to the wide scope of usage - many of the cobble blocks for weathering, and the main 'brick' sandstone blocks are intended to be used with Vivid Sandstone as the main blockset for Riverrun and the surrounding lands.

Originally we were trying to find a middle ground between reach pink for Maidenpool and KL Dun red for Riverrun, but we abandoned that direction and added an additional few blocks for Maidenpool which continues to use the reach pink palette, and a new set of pinky-sandstone blocks for Riverrun and the Red Fork. We intended to base these on the colour of Kenilworth Castle and Château du Haut-Kœnigsbourg - a salmony pink stone. Annoyingly it seems that in-game it keeps looking a slightly different colour from the variants we've been editing. I'm quite happy with the textures so far, but I'm more than open to them being tweaked further.

castlemain.jpg

I also concur about the wooden tops to Daub - it might mess up some of the daub cross ceilings in HG though.. which'll have to be redone.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I think all of the pink blocks are approximately the same hue, with the exception of the "light stone" variants, which are intended to blend a bit of the reach brick palette so as to be useable by Veg in Maidenpool (while at the same time being a minor block for weathering in the Red Fork palette). The contrast can be played around with in the future.

I also concur about the wooden tops to Daub - it might mess up some of the daub cross ceilings in HG though.. which'll have to be redone.

That shouldn't be an issue if only the top of the block is changed, right?

Reactions: thecoddfish

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I agree with Stoop that the limewashed (white) timber blocks could be adjusted slightly. Perhaps make the timbers a little more grey and reduce the shadows on the daub to make the plaster appear less textured (less "bumpy") which is an effect of limewashing irl. I would suggest this as reference:

1599759292652.png

Personally, I would remove the little diagonal braces in the double-height windows and favour instead the insertion of a vertical support (mullion). Structurally there is no need for diagonal braces in a timber framed building (unless its purely decorative, but then only used in high class buildings). Like this:

1599760135240.png

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Are you referring to the "close studding" variant? The reason I didn't add those for every timber + infill color is because, per what Dutch said earlier, it makes sense for these to be a substyle in the southern Crownlands / Kingswood area, rather than used universally. I included the close studding variants that you told me we should have in a previous post.

Yeah I'm referring to the close studding. It might be interesting to use it as a supporting block (not primary block) in facades between windows or as decoration as often is applied with the crossed timber frame block.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Things that I'd like some more opinions on:

1. Changing whitewashed timber
* Should the timber be meant to match with white wood, or grey wood?
* If the former, should white wood be adjusted to blend better with the whitewashed timber?

2. Changing timber window frames
* Fill in the corners of the diagonal beams with the corresponding wood texture?
* Get rid of the diagonal braces altogether and instead have a vertical support running down the middle?

Reactions: ContraBlonde

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron

* If the former, should white wood be adjusted to blend better with the whitewashed timber?

* Fill in the corners of the diagonal beams with the corresponding wood texture?
* Get rid of the diagonal braces altogether and instead have a vertical support running down the middle?

I think the timber frames should be closer to grey wood just so it doesn't feel all like monotonous, it feels like someone toned down the color to 0 and kinda blends together too much.

In terms of timber frame windows I am happier with the former than the latter as it feels sort of congruous with ornate stone windows, but honestly I love the texture we have at the moment :p

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'm not really sure I see it being used as a secondary decorative block. In the pictures that Dutch linked, it seems to be pretty "all or nothing".
Tested it in game, I think you're right.

2. As boring as it might be, I think the timber window frame should be just an empty window frame without special corners or vertical supports.
I figure most timber frame buildings had just a regular opening with a shutter (most timber frame buildings from the middle ages didn't survive where I live).

Fancier timber frame buildings from the late middle ages had a window type called "cross-window" (the double variant, no idea what the single variant is called in English), which originally had an upperlight with window panes and a lower part with a shutter. Later on, as glass became less fancy, the lower part was closed with glass as well or the window got entirely replaced with a modern one (relatively).

The upper light was important, as it allowed the resident to work and live untill late without having to use artificial lighting such as candles or lamps, making use of the natural light as long as possible and without having to have the windows open.

Here are a few variants of the cross-window:
f8d9bf96cd.jpg

Alternatively, we can make different versions of the wooden window, like a close studded window variant, a regular one and a fancier one with carved corners.

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member

Whitewashed timber: I enjoy it as it is currently. I was initially skeptical, but I tested it in game and really enjoyed it. Having said that, wouldn't bother me if the timber was switched to be more grey either.

Timber window frames: Love them as is, I don't think they strictly need the corners filled in. I think it people felt strongly about a vertical support texture then that could be a separate block.