Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
I think if we're going to have double height windows for now that aren't mullioned, I'd definitely prefer them to have braces at the top. If people prefer the braces not to be filled to the corners. then that's fine, I just hadn't seen that employed in history, whereas what is defectively two triangles of wood in the corner seems more supportive.

I definitely don't think we should omit the braces entirely. We can keep them as they are and add a mullioned variant at another date?

I was going to submit a proper edit of the existing double-height window and colour in the corners as I've suggested, but I couldn't locate any of those specific textures in the file.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
two triangles of wood in the corner seems more supportive.

It would be if the building was stone or brick, but timber buildings are constructed using a grid of interlocking timbers, which means loads are carried along a grid. There would be no need for bracing in such a small opening. Larger diagonal braces could be used (as seen below) but these aren't for supporting loads, they are to prevent racking (being forced out of plumb).

1599839442084.png

You might be thinking of spandrels, which are a common feature often seen in high status timber buildings above doorways, but these are primarily decorative.

1599839620654.png

I would prefer having mullioned windows to break up the plain-ness of an otherwise simple, albeit historically accurate, square opening.
Bayleaf House at Weald and Downland Museum (where I have studied) is a very accurate example of a medieval halled house, with correct mullioned windows (most medieval houses today have had their mullions replaced with glass, as Stoop alludes). Granted it was fairly high status in its time.

1599840004677.png
1599840131628.png

Arkilstorm

Dowager Countess of Grantham
Staff member
DutchGuard

Oh 100%, I think just visually, the Spandrels (thanks for the correct term!) work really nicely, and filling in the transparent space wouldn't be a huge amount of work to produce a block that has a historical context and will fit in nicely with what we already have. People have been hinting at wooden arrow slit blocks like this since the stone ornate arrow block window was added. Keeping the 'arched' shape wooden window seems a bit of a no-brainer. I think a mullioned window should be an altogether separate block and keep the Spandrel-ed tall window as well.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I'll keep the current shape then but add the wood to the corners, since it sounds like people are indecisive.

Yeah I'd say that's the right way to go. Maybe we can try to avoid double-height windows in low and middle class housing so as to reduce the occurrence of decorative, high class spandrels. I think it pretty rare atm for low class buildings to have double-height windows anyway.

Scubooty

Bookbinder
So I had a thought today that one thing we lack on our server that all great houses have are their ancestral swords. Now I am by no means an expert with the textures and different models we have in the game so I just did a very simple re-texture of a painting (the worse looking of them) to imitate the possibilities that I want to highlight. As far as I know there is no way to get more paintings in the game so I would settle with a simple sword for now until something else could be arranged. I just wanted to bring this into consideration as it would be a very immersive detail.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).png
    Screenshot (8).png
    197.4 KB · Views: 34

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Okay, new version up on the Test server! Here's a changelog of stuff I did in this mini-update:

-Added renly banner
-Added slabs/stairs/wall for cushion moss
-Changed color of Redwyne banner
-Changed all timber & wattle blocks to have wood top
-Changed name of "Clay" to "Red Clay Plaster"
-Changed whitewashed timber to be more gray, smoothed infill
-Changed white wood planks to match whitewashed timber & vertical planks better
-Changed timber window frames to have filled in corners
-Fixed dappled moss accidentally being named jasmine vines

Please give it a look ASAP so we can get it out over the weekend!

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
There seems to be an issue where I can't place the dappled moss below already placed moss. Normal vines don't have this issue. There is now also a "Jasmine Vines" and a "Vine Jasmine" which are identical except the "Jasmine Vines" have the same issue as the dappled moss. My understanding is that some of these textures are ladders and others are not, it would be good to differentiate them somehow in the inventory. The stacking issue seems to be with the non-ladder versions.

Red Clay Plaster appears in the inventory as grey, is that a biome thing?

Everything else looks good. Could I request a very slight change to the window braces? If they were made a little shallower, rather than meeting at a 90 degree angle, they would better represent spandrels such as the image I posted above. If they met at a 130 or 140 degree angle it would help to soften their appearance.

1599943015993.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
There seems to be an issue where I can't place the dappled moss below already placed moss. Normal vines don't have this issue. There is now also a "Jasmine Vines" and a "Vine Jasmine" which are identical except the "Jasmine Vines" have the same issue as the dappled moss. My understanding is that some of these textures are ladders and others are not, it would be good to differentiate them somehow in the inventory. The stacking issue seems to be with the non-ladder versions.

The new jasmine vines are a vine model, meaning they can be placed in corners (and horizontally, per our modification). The old ones are just on a ladder block model.

I could add an (old) tag to the outdated model later on. It doesn’t matter much at this point though - we can always just map all instances of the old vines to the new ones at some point in the future, because the states of the old one are a subset of those of the new one. Probably won’t be in any hurry to do this because removing an existing block is kind of a pain.

As for the placement glitch, I remember having some issue like this with vanilla vines as well on the Test server (but can’t check right now). We can look into it in the future. For the time being, you have to place the vines from the bottom up.

Red Clay Plaster appears in the inventory as grey, is that a biome thing?

Yes. The grey tile is the actual texture, and colors are laid over that using a Multiply blending mode. I’m not sure if there’s any way to fix this because the colormap already has a red color defined for the inventory view.

Everything else looks good. Could I request a very slight change to the window braces? If they were made a little shallower, rather than meeting at a 90 degree angle, they would better represent spandrels such as the image I posted above. If they met at a 130 or 140 degree angle it would help to soften their appearance.

This seems pretty minor to me so I’m not going to stall the update working on it. We can talk about minor changes in the future, though (this goes for other new blocks as well).

Since red timber daub and wattle have red wood tops, I think we should add red wood block set (stairs, walls, slabs, carpet etc.) so that when used in ints we can have floors to match them. Otherwise turn the tops into oak.

Didn’t really think of that. I changed the tops to oak, since that seems like the more common use case - don’t want to force people to make all-red interiors when using the red timber & wattle.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Here's an initial draft of a map showing Timber substyles and intended uses. If your project is inside of a region marked here, it doesn't mean that you need to use the Timber variant; this is just meant to show where I think each variant makes sense and should be generally constricted to in order to maintain stylistic cohesion and realism.

I didn't include any of the basic variants here (white/brown/orange brick infill), and for the new Northern variants I've just grouped these together under "Northern variants" (although it seems that "Northern" is a bit of a misnomer now).

I've limited Lannisport brick to the Westerlands in general, and Oak with Orange/Yellow infill to a smaller region immediately surrounding Lannisport. Likewise, I've limited the grey light stone to the Vale in general, and Blue/Green infill to a small region immediately surrounding Gulltown.

Arbor and Reach are limited to where (to my knowledge) they're used currently.

The close-studding variants are confined to the thickly forested regions near the Kingswood, Northern Stormlands, Rainwood, and the eastern islands (Tarth/Estermont). This is based on what Dutch said about how close-studding IRL is generally used in areas where timber is abundant (in the UK it originated mostly around East Anglia). In particular, the whitewashed variant can be used in the places which overlap between the whitewashed region and the close-studding region.

The main ones that I'm still trying to figure out, and would like some opinions on:

• Whitewashed - I started out drawing borders around areas with canon whitewash (Stoney Sept, Inn of the Kneeling Man, the Mander, etc.) and extrapolating a bit to include other projects which use a whitewashed palette currently. White Harbor can probably be retrofitted with this block in specific districts as well.

• Mud Red - Because of the association of dark red with Targ heraldry, I've constrained this mostly to areas with past Targ influence - King's Landing (particularly old districts like around Dragon's Square), Driftmark/Dragonstone, Summerhall. I tried to extrapolate from these small regions a bit as well. Particularly, I expanded the latter to include much of the southwest Stormlands, stretching to Griffin's Roost (cuz red). Lastly, in the spirit of having a colorful Germanic Gulltown I've potentially included it there, and also grouped in the nearby Redfort (cuz red).

• Northern Yellow - Super unsure about this one. Currently just put it around KL and Gulltown as potential options. Stoop mentioned it possibly being used in the Riverlands, which could be good but perhaps a bit too colorful. I'm also not sure what would fit the canon best or be the most realistic. So I'll let someone else give input here.

If you feel that you want to use one of the new Timber variants in your personal project, and it's not included in the respective region here, please make a reply in this thread with your arguments for your project's inclusion in one of the regions marked here. Likewise if you think that one of the regions doesn't make sense currently.

Overall, just please be mindful of whether you want to use one of the new blocks in your project because you think it's realistic and fits the overall style of the region the project is in, or whether you just want to use the block because it's new and fancy. I'm fine with being a bit flexible in the former case, but I want us to discuss it first so we can maintain cohesion.

D&WMap.png

Last edited:

thecoddfish

Emissary
Staff member
Would we be able to consider expanding the region of the close-studded variants to include the Crownlands? It seems a little restrictive to limit it to such a small region, and I can 100% see it fitting in through there.

Reactions: Luk

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Would we be able to consider expanding the region of the close-studded variants to include the Crownlands? It seems a little restrictive to limit it to such a small region, and I can 100% see it fitting in through there.

The Kingswood area (the northern part of the close-studding range) is actually part of the Crownlands. I’m a bit skeptical of extending it to the northern Crownlands because that area already seems to have a pretty nice, well-defined style. But if you have some more specific ideas or arguments in favor of extending the range of the close-studding variants I’m all ears.

Reactions: DutchGuard

mdmeaux

Envoy
Here's an initial draft of a map showing Timber substyles and intended uses. If your project is inside of a region marked here, it doesn't mean that you need to use the Timber variant; this is just meant to show where I think each variant makes sense and should be generally constricted to in order to maintain stylistic cohesion and realism.

I didn't include any of the basic variants here (white/brown/orange brick infill), and for the new Northern variants I've just grouped these together under "Northern variants" (although it seems that "Northern" is a bit of a misnomer now).

I've limited Lannisport brick to the Westerlands in general, and Oak with Orange/Yellow infill to a smaller region immediately surrounding Lannisport. Likewise, I've limited the grey light stone to the Vale in general, and Blue/Green infill to a small region immediately surrounding Gulltown.

Arbor and Reach are limited to where (to my knowledge) they're used currently.

The close-studding variants are confined to the thickly forested regions near the Kingswood, Northern Stormlands, Rainwood, and the eastern islands (Tarth/Estermont). This is based on what Dutch said about how close-studding IRL is generally used in areas where timber is abundant (in the UK it originated mostly around East Anglia). In particular, the whitewashed variant can be used in the places which overlap between the whitewashed region and the close-studding region.

The main ones that I'm still trying to figure out, and would like some opinions on:

• Whitewashed - I started out drawing borders around areas with canon whitewash (Stoney Sept, Inn of the Kneeling Man, the Mander, etc.) and extrapolating a bit to include other projects which use a whitewashed palette currently. White Harbor can probably be retrofitted with this block in specific districts as well.

• Mud Red - Because of the association of dark red with Targ heraldry, I've constrained this mostly to areas with past Targ influence - King's Landing (particularly old districts like around Dragon's Square), Driftmark/Dragonstone, Summerhall. I tried to extrapolate from these small regions a bit as well. Particularly, I expanded the latter to include much of the southwest Stormlands, stretching to Griffin's Roost (cuz red). Lastly, in the spirit of having a colorful Germanic Gulltown I've potentially included it there, and also grouped in the nearby Redfort (cuz red).

• Northern Yellow - Super unsure about this one. Currently just put it around KL and Gulltown as potential options. Stoop mentioned it possibly being used in the Riverlands, which could be good but perhaps a bit too colorful. I'm also not sure what would fit the canon best or be the most realistic. So I'll let someone else give input here.

If you feel that you want to use one of the new Timber variants in your personal project, and it's not included in the respective region here, please make a reply in this thread with your arguments for your project's inclusion in one of the regions marked here. Likewise if you think that one of the regions doesn't make sense currently.

Overall, just please be mindful of whether you want to use one of the new blocks in your project because you think it's realistic and fits the overall style of the region the project is in, or whether you just want to use the block because it's new and fancy. I'm fine with being a bit flexible in the former case, but I want us to discuss it first so we can maintain cohesion.

View attachment 4864
Is there a reason the Shield Islands have been left out of the Reach brick zone?