Old -- Current -- New (Wyl)

Old -- Current -- New (Prince's Pass)

Stormlands

Old -- Current -- New (Griffin's Roost)

Old -- Current -- New (Crow's Nest)

Old -- Current -- New (Gallows Grey)

Old -- Current -- New (Blackhaven)

Old -- Current -- New (Summerhall)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I'd really rather not entangle the terrain revamp with a discussion of what the ideal Stormlands style should be or whether we should overhaul that whole region. I can't remember why we decided to go with the dark brown palette a while ago or what the canon behind that was (if any), but nonetheless we did make that decision, and tons of projects have been designed with that style in mind. My focus here is revamping the terrainsets in a way which respects their uses in the map as closely as possible (excepting things that were based on them blending with artificial cobble slab/stair/etc. blocks, which as mentioned is being fixed in a different way). Stormlands discussion can be made independently so as to not hold up this discussion. Exploring the stormlands, I haven't found anywhere which looks egregiously bad with the grayer terrainset, but it still feels a bit unnatural in many areas and decreases the realism of the dark brown stone bricks. Have you tried more moderate changes in the grayer/less saturated direction?

- The new river terrainset is much too light & green. Felwood aside, it also looks pretty bad in my Wickenden forest which uses the river terrainset for some glacial rock formations. Also, the terrainset should continue to blend (color-wise) with dark cobble & small stone brick IMO, even if the slab issue will be fixed in the future. I think the color of the previous river terrainset along with the new texture might look nice.

- For the rest of the new terrainsets, I think the textures look better and help address some of the feedback given before. However, the colors should be made a little more vibrant to match the colors of the current terrainsets. The red mountain one in particular looks a bit too pink & washed out in the new version. The reach terrainset should be more of a warmer pinkish-brown hue like the old reach terrainset, as Seri mentioned earlier.

I think the Westernlands set looks a bit too on the greyish side in the newest version. Tham's original fit better with the LP and sandstone bricks as it had a more yellowish/orange tint (in my opinion).

I know the color difference isn't that big but I just wanted to let you know.

The texturing of the block itself is a verry nice improvment.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
On the subject of ore retextures, the one that I've seen used in "non-ore" uses is the Tin ore used to represent molluscs in a basket when enclosed by wattle (Kings Landing has tons of this) so if possible try to keep that in mind when retexturing

Also if possible make it so that the ore blocks match the terrainsets theyre placed in, this may be tricky as we have 3 regions with different terrainsets utilizing the same biome (Northern Reach, Crownlands and Vale all utilize plains biome)

Other than that if I could have one request please make it so that coal ore has a degree of CTM to it to allow for coal seams, the current texture is probably the worst of all the ore blocks.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Does anyone use actually use coal ore? I’ve only ever seen it represented after being extracted in valyrian stone

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Have you tried more moderate changes in the grayer/less saturated direction?
No, I haven't but I think I will put that on hold until the situation has been worked out. I tried to go back to the old forum to figure out the thought process behind the use of brown stone but far as I can tell there isn't a canonical, historic-cultural, or natural reason why they are that way. The guide that Noah and Ollie made at the time is pretty clear on the brown palette having originally been meant specifically for the Marches, but I think canon actually contradicts that. Blackhaven and Stonehelm are built from black basalt canonically, however, I'm not exactly clear on the exact rock in the mountains around them. I think one way forward here could be to compile the canon for each house in the Stormlands first and then figure out reasonable terrainsets and palettes on that basis.

I think the color of the previous river terrainset along with the new texture might look nice.
Hm, let's try this:
b8a0661193.jpg

f3fde90da7.jpg

Sorry, Emote I couldn't find that exact location you used for Wickenden.

However, the colors should be made a little more vibrant to match the colors of the current terrainsets. The red mountain one in particular looks a bit too pink & washed out in the new version. The reach terrainset should be more of a warmer pinkish-brown hue like the old reach terrainset, as Seri mentioned earlier.

I made all the contested textures warmer. I ended up keeping the old red mountain one cause I think it may turn out to be an excellent alt texture! The new one is on diorite now temporarily! Please go forth and test! (gotta overwrite the existing sets in \resourcepacks\WesterosCraft\assets\minecraft\mcpatcher\ctm)
2d3c642b76.jpg

a36727f8ad.jpg

562edaf788.jpg

8c7ff15ca4.jpg

Attachments

• Terrainset Updates.zip
    235.9 KB · Views: 0

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
why is that cliff stone so green exactly? is it supposed to be mossy or something? because it doesn't look like any type of stone or cliff i've ever seen
It's supposed to be this submerged or wet, slippery rock around creeks and rivers. So there's some slime and moss growing on it. It was never meant as a large scale cliff or dry boulder texture. Hence, I put it on the River Rock terrainset.

extra_large_51c3ab6ad11e9260552528655595bd65.jpg

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I was aiming at something like this with the big river rock boulders at Wickenden. That's from a state park to the south of me, there are these huge boulders that get blanketed by moss. Lots of fun to climb all over.

I'll take a look at the new textures soon!

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I was aiming at something like this with the big river rock boulders at Wickenden. That's from a state park to the south of me, there are these huge boulders that get blanketed by moss. Lots of fun to climb all over.

I'll take a look at the new textures soon!

For dry blanket moss like that, I want to add an all moss block! That way you get to chose where the moss grows on the rock and we get to keep a dedicated river rock texture or open the slot for an additional alt set?

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
No, I haven't but I think I will put that on hold until the situation has been worked out. I tried to go back to the old forum to figure out the thought process behind the use of brown stone but far as I can tell there isn't a canonical, historic-cultural, or natural reason why they are that way. The guide that Noah and Ollie made at the time is pretty clear on the brown palette having originally been meant specifically for the Marches, but I think canon actually contradicts that. Blackhaven and Stonehelm are built from black basalt canonically, however, I'm not exactly clear on the exact rock in the mountains around them. I think one way forward here could be to compile the canon for each house in the Stormlands first and then figure out reasonable terrainsets and palettes on that basis.

Ollie and Noah’s guide states them as being part of the Red Mountains but geologicaly different.

What we know from canon is that the marches are mostly made up of grasslands, moors and are described as ‘windswept’. They lie north of the Red Mountains and encompass land from Hornhill in the west to the Slayne river in the Redwatch.

What we also know of the Red Mountains is that they curve to the north east, creating the area known as Redwatch which Stonehelm is in. During a Tourneg Balon Swann is introduced as being of ‘Stonehelm in the Red Watch.’
The Red Watch seems centred around the Slayne.
The Red Watch is the region around Stonehelm in the southern stormlands, where the Red Mountains meet Cape Wrath. It is part of the eastern Dornish Marchesand is ruled by House Swann, marcher lords who historically defended against incursions from Dorne or the Reach.
“The Slayne is a river in Cape Wrath in the stormlands. Known for its rapids, pools, and waterfalls, the Slayne flows south from the northeastern Red Mountains to the Sea of Dorne. The castle of Stonehelm, the seat of House Swann, overlooks the Slayne, a major river route in the stormlands”

So canon points to the area from Nightsong to Grandison being red stone as it’s part of the red mountains and known as Redwatch.
This makes me think that perhaps Stonehelm and Blackhaven are even more striking and imposing because the rest of the stone around is light tan or red.
However, the fact that two castles are made of basalt implies that there has been volcanic activity in the area.

Maybe the eastern sidebar of the Slayne had volcanic activity and a created a basalt shelf on one side while red sandstone can be present on the other side? I’m thinking of how Melbourne has both basalt and sandstone underneath it with then Yarra in between.

I’m no geologist but it’s an idea so there can be the brown terrainset of mist wood while having canon marches. I actually really like stormlands terrainset in mistwood so dont want it changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: DjTorec

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I just think the area it is used in should be limited to match canon. Also, can we decide on biomes for the Marches? As it stands we have the biome mix at Summerhall and Mushroom island at Trant. Should the entire area be a transition from plains/jungle into Mushroom island?

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Updated my test pack and played a bit with the possible combinations. From left to right: Arbor/Dorne, Red Mountains, Stormlands
257bea5381.jpg

Please download the packs and try some combinations for yourselves!!

/warp terrainsetinfo to learn a bit more about possible combinations!

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Biome's to me seem like the last resource that we haven't fully tapped into.
Here's our current grass biome color map for example
RmjlW8T.png

1591181523659.png
By changing the color of those lines, you can completely change the color of the biome (and each color indicates the biome is unique and unaffected by the others).
Dr2n2JS.png

W0KyzjL.png

As you can see, changing the colormap has a significant effect.

For one thing, I really think Desert needs to be changed to a more yellowy/brown to reflect the drier climate, makes no sense currently that the grass in the Desert biome is basically the same color as Plains grass.
Mega Taiga is also completely unused, we could create a whole new unique region color tone with it.

Attachments

• 1591180683549.png
    1591180683549.png
    977.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 1591181524649.png
    1591181524649.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3