Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I think if they are to be named they should include their primary color first just to make searching of specific plants much much easier.

Ergo: Red Rose, Yellow Buttercups, Orange Ragwort, Blue Delphinium, Green Leafy Herb, Purple Foxglove etc.

Also the image above includes flowers we don't currently have, and is missing a few.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
It might be, using whatever URL the launcher uses behind the scenes to pull the resource pack (I’m not sure exactly how to find it, however). The easier way to do it would be to just get the launcher, use it to generate the files, and then grab the resource pack from the instance files in appdata (or Application Support if on mac).

Do note that most of our actual textures are added by the WesterosBlocks mod, and the vanilla resourcepack is rather sparse, since it was never intended for vanilla singleplayer.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them

Tried my best with the labelling, was mostly focusing on the colors

I am pretty sure that the blue orchid is being used to represent winter roses in some areas of the north. at least that is what I interpret them to be as I know of no mention of orchids growing in such a cold climate

Reactions: Dyvim

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
There’s isn’t another blue-white flower that could be considered winter rose. Winter roses were really rare, blue-white blooms, right?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey everyone, the new update is on the Test client & server! (WesterosCraft 1.11.2). Please go take a look, and let me know if there are any issues or things that need changing! The quicker you do this the quicker we'll be able to get it on the main server. <3

Here's the changelog:

-Added short (non-ctm) wattle fence
-Added stairs, slabs, vertical planks, etc. for grey & white wood
-Added stairs, slabs, etc. for reach cobblestone
-Added window & ornate arrow slit versions for dun brick
-Added grassy sand
-Added muddy sand
-Added peat
-Added duckweed
-Added white & pink roses to match leaf blocks
-Added heather block
-Added red fern block
-Changed mushrooms to have better textures
-Changed red keep door to use coarse red sandstone
-Changed gray wood block to be slightly more faded
-Changed all flower blocks to have real names
-Changed cranberry texture to be less plastic-looking
-Changed bracken & dead bracken to have additional textures in mix
-Changed nettle block to have 2-high ctm
-Changed sunflower to have 2-high ctm
-Changed red flower 23 to have some random ctm
-Changed red flower 19 to be alpine sow thistle
-Changed red flower 11 to be blue chicory
-Changed red flower 2 to meadow fescue block
-Changed yellow flower 15, 26, 27 so that the base matches grass color
-Changed yellow flower 19 to be bog asphodel
-Changed yellow flower 14 to be galium verum/mustard
-Changed yellow flower 13 to have better dead grass texture
-Changed yellow flower 12 to have better texture + random ctm
-Changed yellow flower 10 texture slightly
-Changed yellow flower 2 to have some random ctm

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
My suggestions:
-Short Wattle fence | use half of the lower CTM texture, the spikes on this one seem much too prominent to me.
-Peat | Add one custom block shape of peat stacks or add stairs and walls to represent slender peat stacks. The slab and full blocks are good to represent peat when its still in the ground but we'd need something to represent the dried or drying brickets too I think.
-Duckweed | Its odd that its a carpet style block and not for instance a lily pad since this makes it a pain to place ontop of water without WE. This also means people can place it as 'fallen leaves', 'moss' or 'lichen' on any type of surface. Its also odd that you don't fall through it. I recommend either making it a rail type block (which you can fall through), a lily pad type block (which you can't fall through but place on water more easily and ONLY on water), or better a custom water type block (which you can both fall through and not misuse). Should work by simply adding the duck weed texture to every frame of the water animation.
-Pink and Red roses | I love the idea but I think the brighness of the single rose block differs from the leaf block rose bush texture. For the red rose block I think there is also a difference in saturation? I guess its OK but it is noticable.
-Heather and Red Fern (and many of the updated non-cultured grasses) | For the these to look nice in broad swathes you should really look into randomizing the block model as I've showed you a while back. Currently both will show visible rows which is fine for cultured plants such as most flowers or lavender but odd for plants that are supposed to look 'natural'.
-Nettle | The tall CTM suddenly doesn't look like a nettle anymore? The leaves have a paired arangement rather than the alternating pattern of the single block texture. I'd also expect the full block to be much denser like this.

Everything else tho is delicious and should never be changed :D Looking forward to the muddy and grassy sand aswell as some lovely designs using the wood blocks!!

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hi Tham,

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions!

- Short wattle fence: Hm, I'm not really sure about using the "flat top" texture. I rather like the way the current version looks.

- Peat: I think the slab and full block should be generally sufficient for representing harvested peat? This is one of those things where I want to avoid taking up limited ID spaces for minor improvements in a use case which is already very specific.

- Duckweed: I tried making it a rail block at first, but the CTM won't work properly this way (due to how rail blocks connect). The WesterosBlocks JSON doesn't have a lily pad block model, so I'm not sure how I would pull that off. The fact that lily pads can only be placed on water seems to be some hardcoded internal logic as far as I'm aware, sort of like how vanilla carpet blocks break if there's nothing below them, but our own carpet blocks are stateless. But maybe there's something in the blockstate file or model file which can affect that. Frankly, however, knowing how our builders typically operate, if people find a use for duckweed like in the image you linked, they'll try to WE it in regardless. And in general I'd like to minimize use of any "unstable" blocks which can disappear based on state. As far as custom water, that definitely won't work - remember we still technically have that waves CTM in the resource pack, but it hasn't been working for ages.

- Roses: I matched the colors very carefully for those in the textures, so I think the leaf blocks being slightly darker is just due to block shading. Not a huge concern though IMO.

- Heather and Red Fern: Yup, I agree! I do plan to go through our foliage blocks and revamp the block models at some point. However, I decided it would be too much to do in one update, so I'm going to work on it for a future one (perhaps just focusing entirely on block models).

- Nettle: I don't really see what you mean? The leaves are basically paired in the single block. As far as density, that's something I'd rather try to pull off with a model change in the future rather than changing the texture.

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
> As far as custom water, that definitely won't work - remember we still technically have that waves CTM in the resource pack, but it hasn't been working for ages.

That's not a custom water block though right, but rather biome dependent CTM? Does WesterosBlocks support a water block model?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Well what I mean is the CTM I'm using currently for duckweed won't work with a custom water block; even if we add a custom water block we would still have to use CTM to get the 8-way connections. Also, I don't believe WesterosBlocks currently has a water block model definition.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hmm. I don't think the 8-way CTM is necessary. I've never seen a pond that was only half covered in duck weed. Typically they are 100% covered with it so a single random texture would be enough really.

The fact that a custom LiquidBlock doesn't exist is annoying..adding a new block seems to be a trifle for someone who knows the basics in Java. The block definition happens only in two files really if I interpret that right: one for the block object and one for the block model.

I can only hope to be able to spend some time on WesterosBlocks and the Forge API during the next free weekend I get.

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
re:half-wattle: If you could see them side by side I am sure that the other approach will look better to you. In addition, it seems to be closer to how wattle edging looks in real life. As a side note, when I made the wattle block, I fashioned the single block texture after what I saw in my research of the technique and then added the spikes later to depict more martial, defensive design akin to palisades. I guess that's why that variant seems a bit over the top to me. Unless of course, the Westerosi are fiercely protective when it comes to their cabbage patches and flowerbeds...

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwan

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Ardacraft has the version of short wattle fence that you’re talking about IIRC, and I don’t really like it as much in comparison. Also, some of the images in the link you gave do have more prominent poles/spikes, particularly the 5th one.

Regarding the Duckweed, I have seen ponds with duckweed only along the border myself. Regardless though, I feel that we need some sort of CTM or it will tile very badly in large areas.

Reactions: Endymion and Enah