Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey guys, I've given all plants a model upgrade. Take this bad boy for a spin (I'm making this a thing now Emotione11, you can't stop me!) and let me know what you think:

Edit: it's an overlay pack!! So just put it ontop of the resourcepack stack in the menu and keep the current WC pack active below it!

Here's a taste:
61440d2c60.jpg

Attachments

• WesterosCraftWild.zip
    108.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
change log/a heads

Changelog:
- all single-tall flower blocks have now one of three types of randomly varied block models:
1. Single - there is only one large cross-model per block but up to two smaller ones
C698C6D0-91C4-48F9-9E8D-3379610F6F9D.png
2. Cluster - there are 3-4 large cross-models per block
BC5C0390-8B32-417E-8145-DFEFA731F3C2.png
3. Tussock - there is a single modified cross model with lots of surfaces
084066FF-9185-4201-AF2A-CEAC16C6FA70.png

Emotione11 and I made the decision which block gets which type based on the existing textures. The assignment is visible on my plot. It’s easy to change so if you guys feel strongly about any of them we can switch them around.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
BTW Thamus_Knoward , I think the darkness should definitely be fixable (if you haven’t already) just by setting ambientOcclusion (the smooth lighting property) to false. I remember trying that with leaves; the reason it didn’t work there is because we still want the cubical leaf block to have smooth lighting, just not the diagonal panes. But the property applies to the whole block model. That shouldn’t be an issue here though.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
BTW Thamus_Knoward , I think the darkness should definitely be fixable (if you haven’t already) just by setting ambientOcclusion (the smooth lighting property) to false. I remember trying that with leaves; the reason it didn’t work there is because we still want the cubical leaf block to have smooth lighting, just not the diagonal panes. But the property applies to the whole block model. That shouldn’t be an issue here though.
Yeah ended up fixing flower blocks by turning that off last night, however, there seems to be something else going on with the shaded fern and grass blocks. I'm suspecting this to be a CTM issue, but I haven't checked that yet.

Will this effect fps performance?

I think it likely could because there will be more textures to draw on screen than before, but I've turned off ambient occlusion and shading for each new model so that should drastically reduce the really expensive calculations. I'm currently playing without graphics card and have not noticed a drop in performance when testing it with the changes vs without.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm moving intermediate news on my update work here to not clutter this thread.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Hey guys, I've given all plants a model upgrade. Take this bad boy for a spin (I'm making this a thing now Emotione11, you can't stop me!) and let me know what you think:

Edit: it's an overlay pack!! So just put it ontop of the resourcepack stack in the menu and keep the current WC pack active below it!

Here's a taste:
61440d2c60.jpg

Theres a few issues with flower vases and textures being cut off im afraid

3vDEgvB.png

Z9bUXcK.png

KzbLDTJ.png

I do however think that the changes to lavender, sourleaf, lady fern and cranberry bushes should 100% stay, they look much truer to form. The ones that "multiply" flowers however has some issues

liI7O8N.png

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I knew about the potential issue of textures getting cut off because I chose to arrange the texture that way. If it is not too egregious we could interpret that as a purely sideways view of the flower, but I can also try doing it differently although this will shorten the small flowers quite significantly.

And unfortunately I didn’t consider which flowers could have been used in pots. I see a few options to correct the problems here:
- Agree on using only the vanilla plants for pots (perhaps even retexture some to be bouquets?)
- Introduce a duplicate set of flowers specifically for pots
- Kill the idea of having these „wild“ 3D models entirely and just keep everything as it was
- Remove all options that introduce clusters
- Formally introduce Blockstates in WesterosBlocks that allow me to make model conditional on how its placed: on dirt and grass => wild, on marble walls and hoppers=> cultivated/bouquet form
- I can think of a very hacky hack that lets us do this in CTM..but its hacky AND a lot more work. So let’s forget about that :3

Whatever works for the majority works for me, although of course I‘d appreciate if we could find a solution that keeps the models.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I had some ideas for possible new 'round'-ish 3D blocks, that I'd like to suggest for discussion:

- Capstan (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...(siglos_XVIII-XIX)._Museo_Naval_de_Madrid.jpg) as an upright block, perhaps with different configurations of capstan bars? (1, 4, 8)?

- Ship's wheel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship's_wheel) even though it might be slightly out of our time period, but so are some of our ships. As an NSWE-type block

- Grind stone (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Grinding_stone). Not sure in which shape yet. Possibly a self-contained model with a fixture and a crank although I realize that some flexibility would be ideal (i.e. arrange the grind stone in such a way that you can build your own frame.. but that might make it much harder to pull off.

- Millstone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millstone) As an NSWEUD-type block and just the stone without any framing. NSWEUD so you can put it down horizontally

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
The model is pretty huge for the vanilla grindstone.
Also, the current usage of wheels in gear systems, capstan replacements etc means that’s the new models need to have large enough sides that they align. I think this is the case but I don’t remember exactly.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I have a quick suggestion for the next update, can we please remove the CTM from the "X" timber frame blocks, as this structurally makes no sense. See the famous timber framed buildings in Rouen, all the "X"'s are framed.

1608466595791.png

Likewise, could we have an "empty" and close-studded frame without any CTM at all? I would propose just removing the CTM from the horizontal timber frame blocks, but I don't know how reliant we still are on those. Having a variant without CTM would allow for creating horizontal members (sill and wall plates) between the same blocks.

2020-12-20_12.21.18.png

For example I would like to put a horizontal beam on this facade, but at the moment this is impossible without changing the pattern.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Hey Emotione11 and everyone that's interested.

Id' like to make a few changes to how we handle texture requests in the future.

1. I'd like us to formalize the process of requesting new stuff by adding a Form for requests.

2. Each requested item would then be assessed based on two criteria of workload and desirability:

WORKLOAD
could be based on the following criteria:

- [] It is not perfectly clear what needs to be done. The item lacks a formal description including images. It would require research or frequent consultation with the requester to get right. -1
- [] It is technically difficult or unclear to fulfil the request (8-way CTM, multi-part models, a custom block needs to be implemented) -1
- [] It is hard to test and requires time to set up properly in game (anything to do with transparency, overlay, biome-specificity, tinting, or color-matching existing blocks) -1
- [] The intended or current use isn't clearly defined or is too ambiguous. Altering an existing item with this checkmark would likely break use-cases, creating this item would facilitate ambiguous use-cases. There is no consensus on whether breaking use-cases is acceptable. -1

DESIRABILITY
could be based on the following criteria:
- [] Is needed for testing upcoming builds +1
- [] Has the potential to improve existing builds without manual intervention in-game (this includes bugfixes) +1
- [] Is canon +1
- [] Is historically accurate +1
- [] Solves ambiguity +1
- [] Is well researched, has a description and images included +1

We finally prioritize items by simply summing the individual tallies of workload and desirability: Low-workload high-desirability items would come first, high-workload low-desirability items would come last.

High Priority: >4
Medium Priority: 0 - 4
Low Priority: <0

Last edited: