Approved Project Application: Darkdell

Scubooty

Bookbinder
Hello Hello,

Someone who grew up on the great plains here with a massive prairie reserve south of her home.We don't have rocks! (Even in Africa, no rocks :D ) If we do they are narrow little strips which are very difficult to replicate well Minecraft, so I would just suggest having none

Also, the shrubbery is odd as it wouldn't coniferous (even if you used it for the darker color it's still not great). Mostly deciduous trees are present. Also, trees and shrubs are found in valleys and crevices between hills — where water runoffs would be. I do know that in African grasslands they're actually flatter than the ones in many parts of North America and have their trees more sporadically place due to their more adaption to the almost desert-like arid climate.

Document_6__c4ec477a-6130-428f-ba53-5da23efd02b8.jpg

Here are the beautiful Flint Hills surrounded by my Alma Mater. These are a particular sector of the Great Plains along with the red hills and Smoky hills and ... if you wanna use Kansas / Nebraska as your Inspo this was what all my local biology and geology lessons were about hah! But as you can see no rocks, and trees found in valleys. And let me tell you, I had to really hunt for a photo with trees that were not planted by ranchers and farmers to prevent wind erosion. So really there just shouldn't be many.

However, all this said... I don't think "grasslands" fit

Grasslands as am referring to it, are found in the flatter parts of each continent, yours are in very mountainous areas. If these types of grasslands are what you're wanting be wary of that yours are too close to the mountains to really be true grasslands. I think something like the Badlands in South Dakota is a strong set of inspiration seeing that they're these huge sunken rock formations that occur within the great plains and are surrounded by prairie. Could look at some of the transition areas there for inspo!

Hopefully, this helps!
Right on the dot! You wouldn't have large boulders lying around in fields most likely unless sheets of glacial ice carried them there from rock formations... or giants put them there. You could do formations like the Hyderabad Rocks which are formed by igneous processes and have been shaped by wind and water erosion into some beautiful formations. The badlands would serve as a great inspiration for the princes pass region methinks. One last thing, you could have some rocks still in the grassy sections but only where they feasibly came from rocky ridges or recent/old landslides.
Just my two cents on the matter and id like to see people make cool Hyderabad rocks lol.

• Nice
Reactions: otty and AerioOndos

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Thanks Scub and Azulejo!
The Hyderabad rocks are stunning and while I'd love to do something like them, it might be best to do them further east, closer to harvest hall where there's more indications of volcanic activity like the presence of large quantities of basalt (Blackhaven is built of basalt blocks). However, we might include larger outcroppings similar to those at Ogrodzieniec as well as Roquefixade and many of the other Cathar Castles.

Azulejo, one of the images you've linked there is very close to that lost image I was using. I definitely want to do the dry windy plain above a much more lush river valley like the sotos.

Notably though, this then blends into a montane scrub similar to the eastern French Pyrenees with a focus on springs and running water feeding the environment, rather than rainfall, during summer and the beginning of autumn.

Thanks for all this input!

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Thanks CC, you guys have been very patient. As I have said before please run through some palette options for each proposed area with me before starting building. This is key transitional area and it's worth taking the time to get it right. Approved from me!

Elduwin

Skinchanger
Staff member
It's a pretty great work you guys have done for this app, I don't have any major concerns and trust your abilities to make this project a smooth transition between Reach and Dorne. Consider it approved and ready to go!
Just the same reminder than Dutch: let me check plotting before opening, for a quick review. And don't forget to go through us for any large modifications of the plan, like castle redo.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Asking whether it would be possible to annex the North Western Hamlet of Leygood into Darkdell lands. See the below.

Reason being it would assist us in making a larger continuous grassland environment and create a more dynamic region. If Darkdell included this land in its project, we could keep the idea of there being a hamlet there while revamping terrain, creating a more raised plateau and newer, better structures suited to the environment.

annex.jpg

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Asking whether it would be possible to annex the North Western Hamlet of Leygood into Darkdell lands. See the below.

Reason being it would assist us in making a larger continuous grassland environment and create a more dynamic region. If Darkdell included this land in its project, we could keep the idea of there being a hamlet there while revamping terrain, creating a more raised plateau and newer, better structures suited to the environment.

View attachment 11692
I have no objection to this, but I would like Elduwin to approve as well. The area does not include any buildings of note.

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
Hey y'all! I announce my withdrawal from Project Darkdell. I've been talking to Aeks about this for awhile now and I still want to help, but mainly take a backseat approach. Thus, allowing me to explore other projects and I'll be applying for one soon.