Abandoned Project Application: Clan Burley by Joseidon

Imic

Street Preacher
Hey Imic,
These plans are looking good, once you've started I'd suggest taking some time to add some more detail and texture to the snow terrain around the hamlet. Rocks, trees, etc. Would be good to see some love paid to the communal centre square area as well, this like tables, work area, animal pen, stalls etc.

Aeks might have thoughts too but feel free to make a start and we can discuss in game.
A part of the limiting factor of that is the current terrain of the valley that the village is situated in, it'll need at least a little bit of terraforming before plotting can properly begin. Sorry for getting back to you so late, I think that my timezone is working against me right now. That being said, I'm more or less free for the rest of the week so with enough caffeine I can be online to talk to you in-game whenever suits you.

Reactions: CashBanks

Imic

Street Preacher
Aeksio helped trying up loose ends, the completed plotting is ready for inspection, Joseidon1. I may have added a shed for almost every house, as a part of my planned Farm Building Revolution. I request that even if you disagree with these, you not remove them entirely, though as project leader you can nuke everything if you so wish.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Here are my Plans for the small Hamlet next to Burleyhf1 i applied for.#
The House is a Test from Aesk.

For Check it out go to /warp jeff (its flying in the Sky)
The Hamlet has two Barns and a Hunter and is Next to the North Road.

Attachments

• 2021-07-26_16.53.29.png
    2021-07-26_16.53.29.png
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • 2021-07-26_16.53.29.png
    2021-07-26_16.53.29.png
    2 MB · Views: 11

Joseidon1

Poet
Sorry for the late answer, my IRL is kinda stressy currently. The Layout is OK if you add another barn at the South end (I really like Imics idea of going overboard with storage in Burley) I am not a fan of Aeks test, I'd rather like you to use the normal style used at other Burley hamlets. Otherwise you have my approval.
Imic feel free to nuke my house in Burleyham2, I am kinda short on time and probably won't finish it anytime soon.

Reactions: Jeffjunior77

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
is it the "beehive keep" test for Burleyham3?

I've got some issues with how this is being treated. Brochs and other large roundhouses of this size have precedent on the server as either being the dwelling on powerful people and status symbol, or a fortification. This included having valuable lifestock like cattle and milk goats on the ground floor, potentially lead in through a souterrain entrance (below ground) entrance. This also assists in heating the space.

Also, Brochs reasonably steep rooves that were presumably supported by the drystone rims (example Mousa Broch). Its much more fun to have a higher pointed ceiling in the top floor. Hopefully we can get some thatch underside snowy blocks (Emote I am looking at you with a weird pleading gaze) soon.
44846146_1889168367847344_4717909540434083840_n.jpg

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Just some feedback on the river that flows into the sunset sea. Its awfully straight and linear and doesn't really meander at all, despite being mostly over relatively flat ground. Please add more organic curves to its path and maybe think about wider bends and other features to make it seem 'real'

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Quick update from me, I'm working on making some craggier mountains as we discussed a while back Jos! I think this sort of mountain reflects a style seen in Wull a bit better than the other ones. I am also working on making a much more gradual transition between flat land and the mountains. I'm also making the valleys go East to West and vice versa as opposed to North to South, a relic of the old world painter mountains.

2022-01-09_23.07.48.png

Joseidon1

Poet
Hello there, I am now back from a longer break and continueing with the project, in particular the Wallt area beyond the snow border. I have two tests for new house types as I think the test from the appliaction doesn't hold up to projects in similar areas. I'd like to get mod approval for both house types, as they differ a bit from the original plans.
In addition to working on that area, I have begun to finish up areas that were already covered in snow and planted forrests there.

Attachments

• 2022-05-08_14.35.06.png
    2022-05-08_14.35.06.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 2022-05-08_14.35.41.png
    2022-05-08_14.35.41.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Looks go
Hello there, I am now back from a longer break and continueing with the project, in particular the Wallt area beyond the snow border. I have two tests for new house types as I think the test from the appliaction doesn't hold up to projects in similar areas. I'd like to get mod approval for both house types, as they differ a bit from the original plans.
In addition to working on that area, I have begun to finish up areas that were already covered in snow and planted forrests there.
Looks good to me.

FYI I think if you turn on the Better Grass option in video settings the grass texture will appear on the side of the block too.

Reactions: AerioOndos

Joseidon1

Poet
Hello there,

I am back from the dead and working on Burley again. While I am generally happy with the ideas for Burley, especially the mountain terra in the south looks rather dated and can be improved, especially with Jakes new mountains in mind as well as a recent drive through Switzerland. Due to the changes in the mountains, the already built villages need to be nuked again, as well as some replanning for village locations in the project. I'll try to recycle as much of the already build hamlets as possible. I'd like to remove a ruined hamlet and an active hamlet which aren't build yet from the project to have more space for mountains, as seen in the picture. In addition a few settlements will be moved to make space for better mountains.
burley 2.0.png

I plan to finish my mountain terra completely before doing settlements there again to avoid another action like this.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Hey Joseidon,
I should be free to help out with Burley terra if you need a hand. Looks like you've made some good progress with sculpting the mountains and some just need the smooth snow cover added. I've had some luck with figuring out snow layer brushes recently, so let me know if there's anything you need.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
We're sadly now a few days away from Joseidon being offline for a full year so I'm regrettably marking Burley as abandoned.

As we're soon approaching the 1.18 update, (where we'll be losing some of the more advanced WorldEdit functionality for a time), I'm proposing to foster Joseidon's mountain terra work so it's not left as a placeholder desert. Jake and Joesidon have done a great job with sculpting the mountains, I'll work to polish them up then add the snow and tree cover in line with his latest plans (and consistent with the neighbouring Northern Clans). Emote and original approving mod Eld have given a thumbs up.

1695347032410.png

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
About two weeks of 5 hours sleep and we pretty much got there before curtains closed on 1.12.
I'm going to pause here for now and see how things evolve with 1.18 mods and WE before finishing the streams/coast and snow/grass transition. Thanks to Tobi for helping with tidying up the snow layers.
burley.png
1697360605802.png2023-10-15_19.57.07.png