Approved House Sweet by Tobi

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
the natural stone bridge would need to come off a headland. If you have a look at Murder Hole Beach, my favourite stretch of Irish coastline :p, its little island/sandbar thing is what's left of a headland being broken down.
So essentially I think you should make the beach area even bigger and maybe bring the headland closest to the camera out further SE.
There's a section in Julius Caesar's De Bello Gallico when he begins to attempt a landing where a gully ran down the cliffs of dover, meaning he could get beyond, but found it fortified and so sailed north for a few more kilometres. Imo, this is the kind of spot like the dover cliffs. Somewhere the Andals would have wanted to land and so either something was built to stop them or they fortified later to keep off pirates from the Stepstones and Essosi slavers.

I'm not a big fan of a stone arch here as the cliffs aren't very high and don't think you'd get too much room for it to look spectacular. However, a little sea cave with some rockpools inside might be fun.

Alternatively, a little sunken landbridge like in the Murder Hole Beach pic could be good too, or something like Wursti's insp in Sakhalin minus the big mountain (https://img.peapix.com/4f0a5f15f75e.../2022.04/article/6262625ba37ff974f007c3dd.jpg)

Would love to see some tests of either

Servus all,
i planned with Tobi an Island with a lighttower in front of the smaller "Sweet" Bay with the castle.
UPDATE: Lighttower-Island-Sweet DONE

After a new coastline for sweet and some nice terra ajustments by Jeffjunior77 is the Lighttower island finally done. It comes with a newer design than planned before and lays now like the plans posted by Jeff more to the landside.
The tower is guarded by a Lightman who can sleep there overnight. The Lightfire himself is powered by Hempoil.

2022-12-07_17.11.55-min.png

2022-12-07_17.13.15-min.png

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Not a big fan of the endoheric basins that form the lakes. It'd be easier to get rid of that central hill directly west of the castle and have a wide valley in which to have the agriculture necessary to sustain your settlements OR connect the headland hills with that hill to form a central hill range. It wouldn't have to be high/step, just enough to direct water.

Other feedback is to put the hills north of the town further north, which would work better with the cliffs on that side of the headland and give you more room to make fields/pastures etc to support the port village.
Now, in the map below I know there's a river, but you could create a series of ponds/small lakes that could overflow into one another and eventually into the Haystack Hall->Parchments stream. As of the time setting, the weather in the south is still warm and humid, with a bit of rain. During heavy rainfall/storms they'd overflow and form a stream linking them, but in between rain they're separate ponds. Could be cool and mean you could have an interesting path of grasses and bracken where the water has knocked out trees and bushes.
IMG_0713.png

Credit to Kor for the map

Tobi

Poet
Yo, Everyone

After some time and struggle i can finally give another update on sweet.

The terra is almost done exept for the northwestern corner, forest scripts are done so that shouldnt take to long to finnish.
The peninsular is almost finished with only a couple of houses in the northern fishing village and the 2 minis unfinished.
So now its time to lay out the other hams and that should be it for the most part.

Some pics \/

-Tobi-

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Is there a plan to reduce the number of high/middle class houses in the main village? High/middle class outnumbers low class structures 2:1 atm which is a very weird skew for a small port.

This village needs its own fishermen and farmers to survive. A good general rule would be 6 farmers/fishers:1 professional (carpenter, surgeonbarber, smith). This settlement can't survive on trade to sustain it since most of the flow of goods goes around Sweet.
Sweet is situated between 3 ports. Tarth, Sweetport and Parchments. Ships taking water or shelter in the harbour would be a source of 'whales' (big spending at inns, carpentry repairs etc but not often) but most traffic in and out of the harbour would be ships and boats small enough to be dragged onto the beach.
I've attached a graphic of the Narrow Sea Westerosi ports excluding with a route between the towns. Stonedance was already on the map and Estermont was a former Storm King navy harbour so they're there despite not being towns.

Attachments

• Inkedmap.jpg
    Inkedmap.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Tobi

Poet
View attachment 17444

Hey Stormlanders,

i apply for the hf near the Forrest Border at Sweet. i Choosed a Rocky Terrain with some smaller Trees. The Tower Shape is from Guillaaard ! The Hf Protect the Border and collect Taxes from Traveling Merchants. I also added 2 small Houses and a Small Stable for Horses!
Hope u like it :)

Greetings Jeff!
Really good job jeff. :)
The hf is approved from me. Now we just need another mod to approve it as well.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
As I said in game to Jeff, I'd like the road to be fixed up to be a bit more logical. Currently the slabs are arranged in strange ways that'd make it harder to go up and down. I'd recommend at least 3 blocks deep of slab on the paths to make it seem flatter.

Also the route of the road is a bit wonky and strange looking. Play around to make it seem more nice and have smoother curves that a 2-3 wide cart could navigate on more easily.

Tobi

Poet
Yoo, its me again
i can finally present another update about sweet.

The terra is pretty exausting but there is progress. I also will work on a house guide to make the plots more accessible.
The village next to the lake is also layed out, and i would appreciate some feedback and maybe an approval of the plotting.

-Tobi-

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
If those are carp ponds at the lake village, they need to be a lot larger. Look at Rousemont's ponds for a workeable design, though you'd have to downsize it to fit. Have a crack at making some low dykes, channels and sluices maybe to spread out the a series of ponds through the area. This could help make the hamlet feel interesting and lived-in.

I'd also recommend making some kind of dyke or dam between the lake and the outflow stream on the village side. Having infrastructure even in small hamlets to cope with high rainfall helps indicate that the player is in the stormlands, so think about general drainage channels and ditches too. On the coastal side, the land slopes down pretty easily but inland water pooling in places you don't want it is a bit more of a hazard. Sinking houses, failed crops and ruined roads.
Now this rain infrastructure doesn't need to be huge or deep structures, especially because Sweet is just on the border of the region, but their presence will speak to what's needed during huge winter storms or the proper autumn squalls.
Here are some examples below of ponds for fishing and the relative scale to houses. Note how there's 3 ponds with access roads around them.

MWA3452-374x310.jpg

What might work best for catching said fish is to herd them (on boats or by probing the water with long sticks, waders etc) towards fishers on the banks, who cast nets and haul them ashore.
5edf4997e27ee3b3e06d276af56f9c66.jpg

If you wanted to also spice up a pond or two, think about stork nests and duck houses! They're a great way to bring some animal life to human spaces. This next pic includes a duck house and is a good example of a thin, but still large enough pond.
3124745_d17cdf0a.jpg

Last edited:

AwbMan

Street Preacher
Approved House Sweet Dawn-age Ringfort in-game

Attachments

• Approved - House Sweet by Tobi _ Page 3 _ WesterosCraft Forums - Google Chrome 9_24_2023 8_21_...png
    Approved - House Sweet by Tobi _ Page 3 _ WesterosCraft Forums - Google Chrome 9_24_2023 8_21_...png
    962.1 KB · Views: 22

AwbMan

Street Preacher
Immersion for House Sweet:
Witch's Hut

Headcanon:
Basically this witch grew up well educated but had a calling to practice both magic and magick. Moved into the woods and uses her powers to call unfortunate hunters to her hut, where she makes them potions and charms from her mysterious and dangerous book of spells. Gives them what they want, but for a price. Should the price not be paid in time, she calls them back, with them eventually ending up as fertilizer for her garden.

Inspiration: The story of Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga. While not standing on chicken legs, I definitely made this hut with this story in mind

Attachments

• Minecraft 1.12.2 9_29_2023 5_01_20 PM.png
    Minecraft 1.12.2 9_29_2023 5_01_20 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 25
  • Minecraft 1.12.2 9_29_2023 5_38_36 PM.png
    Minecraft 1.12.2 9_29_2023 5_38_36 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 25
Reactions: Tobi

Ric

Ser
Staff member
Witch's Hut

Headcanon:
Basically this witch grew up well educated but had a calling to practice both magic and magick. Moved into the woods and uses her powers to call unfortunate hunters to her hut, where she makes them potions and charms from her mysterious and dangerous book of spells. Gives them what they want, but for a price. Should the price not be paid in time, she calls them back, with them eventually ending up as fertilizer for her garden.

Inspiration: The story of Vasilisa the Beautiful and Baba Yaga. While not standing on chicken legs, I definitely made this hut with this story in mind
Hey Awb! I don't think this really counts as an Immersion. Not that you shouldn't have built it, it looks nice and with Tobis approval of you doing it, everything should be fine. But it's more of a special build.

Immersions, as our wiki says, "are a step up from Mini Builds in that they operate independently of a parent project." Their idea is to fill empty areas of the map or even to basically work as "mini projects", sometimes - they can be from very small things like a hut to a whole big area like the WH Hospital. If you have any questions maybe this post here can help clarify: https://forum.westeroscraft.com/threads/project-categories.3286/

I think the misunderstanding might be my fault, so I apologise for not explaining very well.

Reactions: Luk and Azulejo

Tobi

Poet
Witch's Hut

Headcanon:

Approved by me, would say this is something like a mini. Only needs one more approval. :)

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I need to have another look in game but from the images, I think the sections of droopy thatch need to be wider. Rather than just one upturned stair, try and make them maybe a full block or full block and stair that's sliding down. This'll make it look a bit more like Paloza and other Roundhouses. Also it'll look more like imperfections in the construction than damage/neglect.

I'm almost ready to approve this btw, just need to see the ints in game cos Roundhouses are tricky.
EDIT: Just a reminder that it's best to paste a test into production after it gets approved, rather than before. Having the in situ context is nice but that can be done by temporarily copy pasting the structure, then undoing it to check how it works in its environs.

I'm unsure about the roofline and ceiling and think you could play with those to a be a little bit taller/higher. Also, I know you've got the skulls at the entrance to the area, but what about having some perimeter skulls around the structure facing the hut, like in the Baba Yaga myth? might be a cool touch.
The interiors I was mostly fine with, might leave a melon or two about them so make sure to check.
The thing that definitely needs changing is that lone block of dirt path in the middle of the courtyard that just looks like a lighting error.

Last edited: