Completed House Lonmouth by Jeff

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
I think it's absolutely a huge problem. Not only does the town completely dwarf the mountain it's on, but it also is not defensible, so I think it would be a very easy target for attackers. On your point about mines, surely to reach the more valuable materials, they'd go deeper, which would be that much harder at the top of a mountain as opposed to elsewhere. You can keep the mountain town feel, but having it that high doesn't respect realism, and makes all of your terra around the area look very small. A 4-5 block shift doesn't really solve any of the issues I raised in the above post.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey everyone!
The Tera of my First two minis is done so i can open it.
The minis are a mountain Ham and a Small hf.
Check it out at /warp lonmouthmine

Lonmouthham1:
The Ham includes 5-6 houses and maybe 1-2 Barns.
They grow Some veges and have some Animals.
Give it a nice poor Mine ham feeling with older Houses and damaged walls.

lonmouthhf1:
The hf is more like a Guard Tower from House Lonmouth to defend the important mines.
The guard tower has a small Yard infront to grow some veges too.
Also some space for some Guards.
At a barn for some Mules and some Mule Carts (see Mule cart example over Lonmouth on a small Platform).
they Transport there Goods then from this ham to Lonmouth to bring it to the Smith.

Mines:
U also can apply for the mines! but if no one appls for them i do them by my own later.
Its also possible that someone from the ham/hf can include them in there Mini!

~Jeff :)

Attachments

• 2021-10-05_08.34.01.png
    2021-10-05_08.34.01.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • 2021-10-05_08.34.04.png
    2021-10-05_08.34.04.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 2021-10-05_08.34.08.png
    2021-10-05_08.34.08.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
Hey everyone!

Lonmouthham1:

lonmouthhf1:
The hf is more like a Guard Tower from House Lonmouth to defend the important mines.
At a barn for some Mules and some Mule Carts (see Mule cart example over Lonmouth on a small Platform).
they Transport there Goods then from this ham to Lonmouth to bring it to the Smith.

Mines:
U also can apply for the mines! but if no one appls for them i do them by my own later.

i'm interested in the hf :) terra looks really cool!

Reactions: Jeffjunior77

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
For everyone! Plots are not open yet if u would read all signs u would see that a gold block means the plots are open yet and there are no gold blocks yet.
No problem but pls don’t built if the plots are not open yet

Reactions: Gealrüable
I saw Per started to build and only started the plot next to his to spite him, cause they had a shared wall and different materials :p
You can nuke it if you want

Hey Jeff!

I talked to you already in-game and here is my feedback all organised and structured. This type of feedback I always prefer to give in the planning phase and/or in the beginning stages of a project but for some reason I missed you applying for this project only having the knowledge this was being done because of the style discussions on the forums.

First I'll start with Terrain. Now this area is already very weirdly done in general before you applied, but I feel like not only you have too many "more than 1 block wide rivers" and little valleys and nooks in such a small and confined valley, your water basin has a very odd and weird shape. It somewhat feels like you've gone for a mix of a plateau valley, with a winding soft hilled river valley and a Swiss type valley where u have huge steep mountains and soft hills near the rivers that run through these valleys. I'm not an expert in geography so anyone that knows pls correct me, but these types of "Swiss" valleys are created due to glacial activity, the so-called U shaped valleys only exist because of big glaciers that created these areas. I'm not against creating a glacial valley in the stormlands, the red mountains are one of the major mountain ranges in Westeros and like Spain or Portugal have glacial valleys, I'm sure this region could have too. But if that's the case the terrain also doesn't achieve that realism for a glacial valley because of the mixing. These "steps":
2021-10-05_19.05.55.png2021-10-05_19.06.11.png

Are a bit off specially considering the terrain around them. Plateaus in valleys occur because of difference in rock softness and the erosion of water and waterways, but these don't resemble any plateaus.

1633457396307.png1633457458783.png

IRL examples:

(There's a lot more examples of large and small plateaus, but again none that I've found resemble the geography you have rn)

And if the goal is to make the glacial valley then I doubt these would make sense terrain wise. Now if the goal isn't to make a glacial valley neither it is to make a plateau valley, like the images I showed, then the amount of terrain variation needs to be reduced. You currently have the mountains/steep hills around your project almost all of them have different sizes and height, making these more regular and coherent would be better, and the terrain inside the valley should be also more regular and less steep near the mountains and less flat near the rivers. Tall mountains even if they seem like they rise so sudden generally are not THAT steep, they rise at an incline in a very regular way:

(the steep areas are usually due to glacial activity or they are near the summits where platonic activity has impacted the most)

But the general incline would be very the same right up to the river margins, but, depending on the size, shape and speed of the river, the base of the valley could flatten or not.

Like this image shows the larger the river the flatter the base, the smaller the river the steeper the base.

I think a recent project that does this enclosed valley geography, that yours could benefit from, really well is the red mountains village immersion by Antony and Zso. I'd go for a geography more similar to that, but if you are really adamant on having bigger flatter spaces I'd advise to change the whole geography as well as how tall the mountains are and their shape.

Lastly for terrain, a minor detail but I do have this question, why the decision on making the opening of the valley to the north and not south? It's just that looking at the asoiaf map, the slayne river valley is very drawn at being enclosed on itself and there's possibility for a small passage towards the south:
akvj weKJ .pngzewsxrdcftvgbhn.png
(The dotted lines are possible ways for the river to go)
Stonehelm and the surrounding area will be redone at one point so. But if the consensus is for it to go north it's fine, was just a thought I had.

Now for Style I think your current style for houses is not that off from the style I feel the general stormlands house would look like besides the marches and regions right bordering dorne. But I feel it can be improved upon, one house that I really like from your guide is this one:

2021-10-05_20.18.44.png

And I think it's more in line with Aino's tests which are my favourite so far. One thing I'd say is be careful with how small you make the houses, the stone ones on the right are too small and with odd proportions, I think you can still work them a bit more.

I don't have a particular opinion on the castle I think it's a nice castle, although I'm not sure about it's position with the relation to the terrain that I've already expressed is very lacking.

In terms of Plotting. I second what Jake said, the town not only has an immense lack of space for the density you have and for it to have all the amenities and space to be able to work, it also doesn't have any industry to support the extraction of the mines, it messes with the scaling of the terrain and also is just in a place where naturally no one would build a town such as that. Maybe a tight small town like you see in Banefort's mining town, but even then, it's near a big road that branches off to other settlements and markets, something this valley settlement doesn't do. Now one thing you could have is a big mining village that exports it's materials to a merchant that goes and sells in other places, but rn the current town you have looks and works more like a trading town in a major route than a large mining village that exports it's main resource that gives most of the income. The town as you have it doesn't provide much reason for a lot of travellers to come here even though you have an inn inside the town (structures that were usually in main routes and settlements with a lot of travellers coming through). The only reason I see people come here would be for a merchant to come buy the materials extracted and/or transformed to sell in other major markets.

Besides that most of my plotting issues are closely related to the overall terrain (especially the little steps in the terrain). A minor detail but a road like this:

2021-10-05_20.30.59.png

Wouldn't occur, they would use a winding road to avoid the steepness of the terrain, and vineyards would also be changed by creating man made small steps:

I know this is very overwhelming, I would've said all of this in the planning phase had I known it was happening. Again these are mostly my opinions, if you or anyone think otherwise of anything I said here please do share. And if any of the geography is wrong than feel free to correct me!

Thank you for reading,
Seri

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Ty seri for ur feedback and that u take ur time to trz to make my project better !:)

1. About the tera i am rlly no expert in geography so I can’t rlly say a lot for and against it. All I can say is that I want to keep the grasslands in the mountains for sheep’s and goat farmers. Also the tera is still WIP I still work on the transitions between grassland and mountain. Also I can discuss with my mods about the opening in the south.
About the streams and rivers. The blue wool that’s marks the river is not water it is just a mark that there will be something not the finish size and shape.

2. I agree with the houses from aino I will add some more style designs from it to the other 2 mid class houses.
Also the smaller low class houses are just examples the real size depends on the plot size.

3. We Talked about the plotting in game I will add this kind of mining industry complex u showed me ! I rlly like it to for that:)
And also the hop fields are still wip they will reworked since we changed the tera here.
But ty for the inspo pictures I will use them for sure :)

ty u that u spend ur time on this :)

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Hey, I'd like to state that it was my idea for the northern stream exit (which you can see in this thread) which honestly I thought work because there would be less impact on surrounding projects (2 Grandison towers shifted a few blocks) versus Swannsroost and parts of the Dondarrion border at Slayneguard or stonehelm2. It is possible to reroute the stream and still keep most of the project intact as there is already a good base for a passage already.
I'd also like to apologise for not having finished evening up the mountains. I've been assisting for a while with the terra of the project.

The insp I suggested to Jeff for the main valley was a mixture of Pyrenees and inland Madeira, the latter due to its red brown stone and steep water eroded mountainsides with several flat spurs and steep gullies breaking up these spurs. As you can see, the plateau-like spur on the right resembles the mount the town is on. Additionally, I suggested Madeira due to the igneous rocks that make up the island, because it rationalises the use of black stone as a roofing material and the use of black stone in Blackhaven, which is further SE along the range.

I also think it would be relatively simple to transform the project to have a more cohesive approach, namely adding more detail and mirroring the more complete sections near the stream elsewhere. And if the exit were to the south, it would give the potential to drop the whole project down closer to sea level, making it possible to have larger, more impressive mountains.

Jeffjunior77

Printmaker
Hey everyone!

I open the Lonmouth plots Again.
After alot of feedback i made the settlement Mountain lower.
Now the mountain in the back looks better and taller (ty Jake for ur feedback).
I changed some Ploting and added a Mine Insutry Complex that makes the Ploting more realistic (ty Seri)
Also i changed the House style a bit and added some more designs from Aino Stormlands test.

We will work on the tera as well.
Also we add a exit in the South South-west too.!

Ty everyone for ur help :)

Guillaaard

Herald
Hey everyone!

Lonmouthham1:

lonmouthhf1:

Mines:

Hello ! i'm Applying for Lonmouthham1, for my first mini :)
My test and plotting can be found at /warp Guillaaard,

here are some images :

have a nice evening :)

Batelgause

Royal Messenger
hey!! i'm applying for the holdfast/guardstower just next to guillaards hamlet /Lonmouthham1

here are images of it

only the exterior is done so far. i'll start working on interior , detailing the exterior and fixing the terra around it to give it a better look . this and the old tests can be found at my plot /warp batelgause

have a nice day :) !!!!

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
You can only do 1 mini at a time. You’re applying for this, a hamlet in Goode and a hamlet in Hornvale. You have to finish one mini before moving on to the next.

Nikas Kunitz

Herald
As Jeff suggested, I will post it here. Small test for sept in Lonmouth town. That's my original design, without post-suggestions. As Eastern European style was wanted, I built this sept in the style inspired by Russian architecture. Interiors are mostly prepositional. It also have "classical" design of main windows - one per each of the Seven. It's open for changes, although architectural details are intervined with construction, making changes not so easy.
I hope I will not make you laugh by this post, as I'm not even a probie yet)

Attachments

• 2021-10-10_21.38.43.png
    2021-10-10_21.38.43.png
    694.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 2021-10-10_21.39.57.png
    2021-10-10_21.39.57.png
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • 2021-10-10_21.40.17.png
    2021-10-10_21.40.17.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 31
  • 2021-10-10_21.40.25.png
    2021-10-10_21.40.25.png