Approved Fairmarket (EStoop)

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Update
See the post above. I haven't got much time on my hands so progress is really slow. I made an inn though.

If people are interested to help out terraforming let me know, I'll give you credit and gratitude.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Since Wazgamer isn't a mod anymore I need a new approving moderator.

I'd like to ask Arkilstorm to take over Waz's torch since he has been involved in the area (Terrick) and has an affinity with rural planning, which is most of what is left to do at Fairmarket.

Also, thank you Wazgamer for the support you always gave to Fairmarket. Have fun in college mate.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Undoubtedly we've all been wondering what has been happening at Fairmarket lately (I know I do), so I figured to write an update.

Update
There has been some progress North of the septry. I (actually Iwan) terraformed the area to make it slightly less flat and to incorperate a small stream. A few changes have been made to the plotting, mainly the removal of the toll gate at the border of Vypren, which I plan to move to the north to mark the end of the Fairmarket lands. The toll gate has been removed due to it not fitting into the landscape, as a result of the forest behind it being relatively high compared to the lands of Fairmarket.

The village that used to be located along the road to the toll gate will remain in place, but will be updated.

The swamp between Ramsford and Fairmarket has been made by Carcinogenius. Although it looks amazing, I plan to adjust it a bit to create some more wooded patches and to extend it to surround the village at Ramsford.

No changes have been made south of the Blue Fork, although I did noticed some of the farm interiors have not yet started (I thought they were finished). I also made a new version for the weighing house in the town, which is hovering above the old one. Let me know what you think! I replaced the old town hall with the new version which had been hovering above it for the past year or so.

So what now?
I'd like to finish the remaining parts south of the Blue Fork, which are mainly house/farm interiors and yards in the eastern sprawl. Now the terrain has been terraformed north of the Blue Fork, I'll be able to plot the remaining fields, farms and the village to give a shot to finished that area as well.

I have no idea how to swamp, so I'm going to postpone touching that untill I really really have to.

I also haven't forgotten about the Wickenden-Fairmarket deal Emote ;)

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
An actual update!
In the past few weeks I've done some work:
  • The fields along the Blue Fork on the west side of Fairmarket are now fixed. The levies are removed, leading to a more open view from the river.
  • Ramsford is now a couple of blocks higher than it was before, so it rises somewhat more above the swamp I am planning to surround it with. The riverbanks north of the Blue Fork have been given low natural levees, marking the border between the river and said swamp.
  • The hamlet north-east of Fairmarket has been plotted, as well as some fields.
  • I went through the town and replaced some of the wattle fences with low wattle fences.
  • I added torches along the walls and at the gates of the town.
Next up will be finishing the plotting of the terrain north of Fairmarket, furnishing the numerous houses left unfurnished in the FM countryside and redoing the swamp so it's less open.

DutchGuard

Shadowbinder
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hey @EStoop I know Fairmarket is never mentioned in canon as being within the lands of any house in particular, but if you had to make an informed guess, which would it be?

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Fairmarket would be it’s own project and can likely levy forces to provide for its defence.
Does it have its own branch of House Tully like Stoney Sept?
However it’s at a sweet spot between Blackwood, Mallister and relatively close to the One of the Vance’s.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Originally Fairmarket was intended to be ruled by a vassal branch of house Tully. However, I figured assigning a specific house to the town doesn't influence what is portrayed ingame very much.

A lot of things could have happened after house Hoare, the last known noble rulers of the town, died out. We know the lowborn Pate of Fairmarket managed to gain control of the town for a short while, before losing again to house Durrandon before the Hoares.

Wether the town is ruled by the offshoots of house Hoare, Tully or Durrandon, various noble houses from the region or a completely unknown house is open for the player's imagination. Fairmarket could even be ruled by a lowborn elite at the town's hall or by the Faith of the Seven from the septry at the other side of the river.

It could be an interesting quest for the rpg, in which the player can decide or influence the outcome of a power struggle between the nobility, peasantry and the faith.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Update
Nothing really happened, been busy with moving and work.

I currently have a few issues with internet, hence my absence from the server.
My home office is on the other side of the building from the router, and pulling a cable is a challenge to put it lightly.
I won't be online a lot untill I have that fixed.

Edit | Could someone move /warp Wayn to the hills near the Green Fork? It's not going to fit in the swampland between Ramsford and Vyprenhamlet6. The hills between Hag's Mire, Vypren and Haigh seem like a perfect spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric and Luk

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Update
No progress, but I'm still alive and intending to finish the project.
Internet is a bit wobbly right now (I hope it's the cable and not the connection to the world itself) so I'm not too keen on building at the moment.

I also like to request to move /warp Wayn as requested in the previous update.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'll be opening plots around Fairmarket, most of which only need interiors. You can pick these up whenever you feel like, no permission needed (except for special plots). I'll be tagging the plots on the dynmap as the following:
  • INT, plots with only interiors. This includes a fireplace, for which the chimney (if not already made, or placed in a different location) should be indicated in wool. Interior walls are already placed, and if absent are not desired.
  • EXT, plots with both exteriors as interiors. Usually the outline and roof are already made, but the rest is up to you. Gardens are not included.
  • SPE, special plots. Hit me up with a message on discord if you find one that interests you, and I'll give you the info you need. Don't start without permission.
There will be 4 types of plots:
  • Hovel, these are the homes of the peasants (low class) of Fairmarket. These houses are small and provide only the basics. Check out examples at /warp fmhovel1, fmhovel2 and fmhovel3.
  • House, these are just regular homes of townspoeple or farmers (low/middle class). Check out examples at /warp fmhouse1, fmhouse2 and fmhouse3.
  • [profession], these are similar to houses, only there is a profession based in it on the ground floor. Check out examples at /warp fmpro1, fmpro2 and fmpro3.
  • Barn, these are the homes of cows, pigs, chickens, horses and/or donkeys (Very low class), and/or are used for storage of agricultural goods and tools. Check out /warp fmbarn1, fmbarn2 and fmbarn3.
For example, a baker for which I will only be needing interiors would be tagged as "INT Baker".

A few things to consider when building these plots:
  • I will make the gardens myself.
  • I will add, change and remove chimneys myself.
  • Do not place anything outside the buildings, on the streets or in the gardens.
  • Don't alter the exterior of INT plots.
  • Hovels should not have a back door.
  • Please check out the examples at the warps before building.
  • Place a "finished" utility block when the place is finished (with a tag). Add "FB" on the sign of your tag if you want me to give feedback if I want some changes, otherwise I will just change the things myself.
  • Don't remove the original tag, otherwise I will forget it exists. I'll try to check and update the available plots every evening.
Edit | Sending me a message on discord if you finished something will help me find it.

Last edited:

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Hello,

With the new timber frame blocks out I'd like to go through the town and make a few changes, mainly updating the timber frames but also throwing in a little bit of colour by replacing the daub of a few (read 5-ish) middle to high class houses. I'm inclined to use yellow daub, but I'm also partial to green and red. I also aim to introduce northern timber frame to a quarter-ish of the houses, and to use the close studding block very sporadically throughout the town.

While going through Fairmarket I'm also updating the Stormlands brick arrow slits where neccesary and replacing bark oak fences in buildings with regular oak fences.

I already updated the houses north of FM, along the river.

I'm pending approval from one of my approving moderators since I think a change like this warrants it. Let me know if I need to post tests.

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
Hello,

With the new timber frame blocks out I'd like to go through the town and make a few changes, mainly updating the timber frames but also throwing in a little bit of colour by replacing the daub of a few (read 5-ish) middle to high class houses. I'm inclined to use yellow daub, but I'm also partial to green and red. I also aim to introduce northern timber frame to a quarter-ish of the houses, and to use the close studding block very sporadically throughout the town.

While going through Fairmarket I'm also updating the Stormlands brick arrow slits where neccesary and replacing bark oak fences in buildings with regular oak fences.

I already updated the houses north of FM, along the river.

I'm pending approval from one of my approving moderators since I think a change like this warrants it. Let me know if I need to post tests.

Hey, i like the idea that you want to make use of the new timber blocks.

I would like to see some tests first though. I'm not sure about using too many colors and i dont know if the close studding is appropriate since not all new timber blocks were intended to be used in any region. I would love to discuss this in game with you, i got to see it to decide i think.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I don't think I'm one of your approving mods but adding some touches of the northern yellow timber variant sounds good to me. I agree with Luk about the close-studding variants; these are supposed to be kept to the "English"-inspired styles, i.e., Crownlands and some of the southern Riverlands, plus the Rainwood.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Update time!
I've been slowly updating the houses at Fairmarket, starting in the east and working my way west. I'm currently almost done with the houses along the marketplace.
The updates mainly consist of simple timber frame updates, and in some instances a couple of updates in the interior as well, such as the interior walls and on rare occasions the interior decoration.

A handful of buildings have been partly or completely overhauled, such as the brothel, the inn near the southern gate and some houses I thought didn't quite fit in nicely.

In the upcoming weeks I'll be updating the rest of the town, as well as the houses in the sprawl areas.
I'm also working on an update for the main sept, which I'd like to expand a little with a bit more supporting buildings for the faith (tests are welcome).

Work on the surrounding lands have stalled a bit.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Update!
A few months have passed already, so it's time for another update!

Some might have noticed there is now a second Fairmarket hovering in the air. I'm currently working on narrower streets in the town and I didn't want to risk ruining Fairmarket irreversily.

This month (lower) Fairmarket will be open to decorate in the spirit of Pride Month. Feel free to decorate the streets and buildings in the town accordingly.