Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Ta-daaa

I went off the list of each Great House' Principle Houses listed in the GoT Appendix
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/A_Game_of_Thrones-Appendix

This became more of an exercise of artistic obsession in the end, so no big deal if they're shelved, happy to make any updates/additions requested and I'll keep a link to the texture files available on the forum

Maybe the Gardener and Hoare banners would be a bit faded and threadbare? Overall I love love love these banners

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Revised Tarly and Tyrell banners

On the point about matching the wool palettes, I'm not convinced there's enough variety in them to do all the designs justice. It would really limit the ability to add depth to the more complicated ones, and tbh I don't think the visual continuity is that crucial when the banners would be used so sparingly.

In the photo above, the second option uses all the shades of red in the wool block, and you can see how narrow the visual range is. The third option is my preferred compromise, which uses the red wool texture as a base and then adds more highlights and shading.

In general though happy to dull down anything that looks too bright.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron

On the point about matching the wool palettes, I'm not convinced there's enough variety in them to do all the designs justice. It would really limit the ability to add depth to the more complicated ones, and tbh I don't think the visual continuity is that crucial when the banners would be used so sparingly.

In the photo above, the second option uses all the shades of red in the wool block, and you can see how narrow the visual range is. The third option is my preferred compromise, which uses the red wool texture as a base and then adds more highlights and shading.

I think Tarly #3 looks best, you can see the distinct details in the archer

Also you may want to change the pallet of Arryn's banner, the dark blue of the banner goes against the light blue color scheme throughout the Eyrie and the color described in the canon

_Simbaa

Printmaker

Good job on the banners however I think some of them could do with being bit less bright and perhaps even more pale. As most of the banners would suffering quite a lot of weathering (if they are hanging outside) and they could contrast alot with the other blocks around them. To be specific I meant the following banners:
-Tarth - I think that the contrast between the purple and blue is bit too big, and Id recommend toning them down a abit, perhaps to a tone similar to rykker and perhaps and something bit brighter than dayne.
- Santagar - the blue seems to stand aout alot next to the white
- Hoare - the colors dont seem to blend in togather alot, perhaps toning down the yellow and blue would help
- Tarly -tarly three looks the best
-Payne - the pink/purple squares seem soo bright

Otherwise I really really like the results and I am astonished by the amount of effort you had to put in.

Reactions: AerioOndos

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Out of curiosity what's going to be the official rule for already existing castles and structures and the new blocks? For example Lannister Banners in Casterly Rock and Falling Water Blocks in already existing Fountains?

• Haha
Reactions: Adorkabley

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I have an idea

Chiminy Top Blocks in the many variants?

The wall blocks being solidly together kind of ruined alot of chiminys

imo it made a lot of chimneys better.

On another note, the wet sand layers seem to have block id 4098 and 4100, which gives me grass and cobblestone respectively when I WE them in.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I think Tarly #3 looks best, you can see the distinct details in the archer

Also you may want to change the pallet of Arryn's banner, the dark blue of the banner goes against the light blue color scheme throughout the Eyrie and the color described in the canon

Test of Arryn banner
1st is just the plain light blue wool texture,
2nd is the plain wool with some extra shading.
3rd is the wool with the hue and brightness shifted a little bit.

Marken

Storyteller
how about adding curvy shading to make it more fabric-y

BLRsMpy.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Out of curiosity what's going to be the official rule for already existing castles and structures and the new blocks? For example Lannister Banners in Casterly Rock and Falling Water Blocks in already existing Fountains?

Basically the rule is: if it's an "objective" replace, i.e. one which consists of replacing an outdated block with the block intended to replace it, feel free to update. If it's a more subjective replace, ask for permission first. Be careful with fountains since many were made with water blocks in mind.

imo it made a lot of chimneys better.

On another note, the wet sand layers seem to have block id 4098 and 4100, which gives me grass and cobblestone respectively when I WE them in.

(@Enah also) for these issues, try finding which ID's the problem blocks are "in-between". That is, if hypothetically wet sand layers are ID 2150 (don't actually try this ID), you should be able to find ID 2149 and 2151 before and after it in the inventory, unless the problem is happening for many blocks.

I'll give it a look when I get home though.

Reactions: Enah

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Basically the rule is: if it's an "objective" replace, i.e. one which consists of replacing an outdated block with the block intended to replace it, feel free to update. If it's a more subjective replace, ask for permission first. Be careful with fountains since many were made with water blocks in mind.

(@Enah also) for these issues, try finding which ID's the problem blocks are "in-between". That is, if hypothetically wet sand layers are ID 2150 (don't actually try this ID), you should be able to find ID 2149 and 2151 before and after it in the inventory, unless the problem is happening for many blocks.

I'll give it a look when I get home though.

I found that for wet sand and rocky wet sand, the block id's are 2258 and 2260, rather than the numbers given in the block description.

Fin

Playwright
A rather obvious block I keep forgetting to ask for in RP updates: The full stone slab block. When you place two stone slab blocks (the lighter variant, not the regular one) you get a different block than if you use the full stone slab block (which is basically just a 2x2 rubix cube, in terms of texturing).

2e038fc266.png

How the full slab block looks like

3ef4e74aca.png

How two stone slabs look when stacked.

I think at some point this might have been a mistake, where both stacked and full blocks were supposed to look the same, (namely like the latter, while only the top and bottom look like the former), but at this point I think it's safer to introduce that second texture as its own block and replacing during the updating all stacked stone slabs with it, instead of fixing the textures of the full stone slab block.