Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

zanji

Herald
Ok, so while I visited Middlebury I noticed something. The colored wood, especially the green one looks kinda odd to me, like to much color and saturation. I would suggest something like on this picture here, its from Kingdom Come: Deliverance:

Its just looks more realistic and better, at least in my opinion.
For comparison our ingame wood:

I think with the KC:D type of colored wood it would fit way better the "low-medieval"-theme on the server with less saturation and color, also with this weathered look. I think it could also be used more often in general on the sever.

Its just my opinion, so feel free to leave your feedback.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I tried doing something like that with the gray wood recently, but it's going to be immensely hard to pull off effectively without changing the relative saturation of everything else in the pack (most video games also have a lot more control over specularity of materials, which helps). At the end of the day, I see us as basically having made a stylistic decision (in the tradition of the original Dokucraft) to make our textures fairly simple and a bit more "cartoonish" than uber-gritty-realistic, differentiating us from other resource packs like Conquest. I see this as similar to the use of Cel shading in some video games (such as Legend of Zelda); the textures aren't very realistic and the colors are very saturated, but the worlds (relative to someone's subjective preferences I suppose) are still visually beautiful and fun to explore.

EDIT: also, for the record, I think a truly realistic texture pack is going to be impossible to pull off in MC without the full control over materials that's offered by most game engines, i.e. specularity, bump-mapping and the like (although I think Optifine does put in a hack which enables bump-mapping, I haven't seen it used in any major packs yet). While Conquest textures are made by a super talented team of artists, I find that the noise and detail of the textures detracts from the actual worlds people are trying to create with it.

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Probably mentioned already but since the snow lighting update (which looks great btw) there's been a funny off color grid pattern appearing in the snow tiles

Normal

with contrast upped

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
Any way we can get snowy pine "leaves" for the haunted and frozen forests? The layering of snow on the trees creates some really nasty contrasting lines. and I try adding icicles underneath to help but its still weird. I believe if we were able to get snowy pines needles it would help prevent this Bright green contrast against a landscape thats very monotone (which Is how I think the north should look and feel). Yes the desatured version is nicer but still creates those lines.

Last edited:

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Yeah, I’ve been wanting to do that for a while. IIRC I was waiting for the 1.12 update, since the new Optifine adds some modes which would be helpful for that. Ideally this would just be an update to existing spruce blocks in the Taiga biome (although it may be problematic in places like Dreadfort, which are in Taiga but not snowy everywhere).

Reactions: lemonbear

zanji

Herald
why dont just add a new block? then you could use the normal leaves for the areas you dont need snowy leaves and the snowy one for the forests further north. or is the custom block limit reached?

Enah

Skinchanger
Adding blocks increases memory and data usage. The more blocks, the longer the load up and the bigger the files. Also something about a block limit

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
why dont just add a new block? then you could use the normal leaves for the areas you dont need snowy leaves and the snowy one for the forests further north. or is the custom block limit reached?

Swapping every existing spruce tree in the snowy areas to the new snow leaf block would suck as well.

We could probably do targeted biome swaps in the Extreme Hills/Taiga areas like Dreadfort to achieve the desired affect.

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
What about repurposing the palm leaves to be just bigger pine needles would work if such biome changes happen since they haven't been used outside dorne?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Adding a single new block won’t break anything, but there are soft limits we need to be mindful of, hence why I’m hesitant to add some stuff. The main issue here is what Cash said, there’s no easy way to replace all spruce leaves in snowy areas with the new block. This also applies to exploiting an unused leaf block like palm, which I’d rather not do anyways.

It’ll probably be most straightforward to modify the existing spruce block to be snowy in Taiga. If we find we need it, we can add a duplicate spruce leaf block which doesn’t change to snowy in Taiga. I figure it’s easier to replace along those border areas.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I preferred ottys idea of making a biome variant of the palm leaf. And what about acacia and dark oak leaves. I think there was a reason for not using them, I just can’t remember why