Completed The Tor by Margaery Tyrell

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Hello I am appearling for a redo for The Tor under the Abandoned Build Clause of which The Tor is currently listed in the Projects Orphanage as detailed here: https://westeroscraft.com/wiki/miscellaneous/projects-orphanage

I am also submitting these pictures of proof of abandoned state of project:

LPBH2sU.png

E2XyVH9.png

1VRoNoD.png

I am appealing for a redo rather than an update or a foster due to the sheer extent of unfinished work at the current iteration of The Tor and also because its current style is years behind current standards of the server. A clean slate would be ideal to update the terra and really bring out the potential the region could provide to Dorne.

Below is my app for The Tor

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Marge you're a project machine!

Have you considered expanding the shrubland to the spine of the ridges that run NW-SE? I roughly marked the spines below:
aww-board(6).png
I think that might be a bit more realistic and gives you some more space to put that awesome style to use!
Here are some ideas that I have floating in my head:

Picture this:
gently transitioning into this:
as you pass the spine from the ocean-facing to the desert-facing side!

With gems like this in some of the passes?
AtlasOasis.jpg

Luk

Gullible
Staff member
Pronouns
he/him
I'm sure you will do an excellent job as always <3

I would agree with Tham though that you should make more use of the vast space that Dorne offers and extend your plans (at least to the ridgelines) further south.

If thats resolved, consider it approved by me :)

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Have you considered expanding the shrubland to the spine of the ridges that run NW-SE? I roughly marked the spines below:
I was literally going to say the same thing, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way! Margaery, the plans look fantastic! I don't think I can add much more that what has alredy been said, so I will just share some pics that relate to what Thamus_Knoward said before.

Fertile river valley within rocky, dry terrain
Baza 2.jpg

Another cool valley, I really like the redish tone of the rock. Look those plants too!Guadix 2.jpg

Drier river valley, maybe for futher inland or south-facing ridges
Guadix 3.jpg

These two pics resemble what I think The Tor green belt (or other greener parts of Dorne) would look in contrast with the dry mountains
Guadix.jpgHoya-de-Baza-desde-el-Jabalcon_1.jpg

Drier crops next to the mountains
Baza 3.jpg

More transitional vegetation and terrain
Baza más seco.jpg

This one I think is too wet for this project, but the fields make a nice pattern
Alcudia de Guadix.jpg

Esparto grows here, and would be a perfect place to use it, among the other dry plants that were suggested, if they ever get implemented. It could generate a very cool industry surrounding it: basketry, rope making, shoemaking...
Esparto.jpg

Most of these pics are from Hoya de Guadix and Hoya de Baza, two regions in northern Granada. An hoya is a basin surrounded by mountains, used as a term usually in southern Spain. Both Hoya de Guadix and Hoya de Baza are dry regions were thanks to river input crops can flourish. Also in Guadix there are houses excavated in the rock façade, a type of habitad very common in North Africa aswell. Maybe the more secluded valleys could use this type of living.

Regarding the marble quarry, in Macael, Almería, there is a very big marble quarry that produces white, grey and yellowish marble. It is being used way before Roman presence, up until today. In fact the famous Court of the Lions of the Alhambra used Macael's marble. I don't think there's much left of ancient arab/roman minery, but is nice to have a look at it.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Also, in dry regions next to mountains that recibe more water its very common the use of structures called qanats, horizontal shafts that bring underground water to the surface to irrigate crops. They where a persian invention, but both romans and arabs used and expanded their use.

Qanat.jpgQanat diagrama.jpg

Edit: Looking at old The Tor seems like there where used at a smaller scale, so this isn't new info. Regardless, I leave this just in case.

Last edited:

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Question, Is Meadow Fescue a dry brown in desert Biome? If so, it could be used for esparto and could be placed on top of dry dornish soil and other areas to create a transition into greenery

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
I think the nature pics in this map might be helpful

I was looking for the thrid pic for hours! My archeology teacher used it to exemplify how islamic societies manage water use in rural communites. Very interesting stuff. If someone is interested look Consejo de Hombres Buenos and Tribunal de las aguas.

Anyways, from my point of view Dorne could be divided in 3 main styles zones, that roughly correspond to the 3 subcultures Dornishmen are divided in. Stony Dornishmen would be mainly Spanish/Portuguese/Iberian, Salty Dornishmen would be Andalusian/Andalusi (I would include the Greenblood in this category) and Stony Dornishmen would be Moroccan, divided between more arabized Moroccans in The Vaith and the Scourge (Fez, Mequinez, Rabat...) and Berber/Atlas Mountains/inland Moroccan for the desert. Orphans of the Greenblod would be Romani people or moriscos. Still, this is just my opinion, and those pics could be used as inspo in any case. Nature stuff is perfect for this project.

Culturas Dorne.jpg
This isn't a canon source, but it represents quite well the scope of these cultures.

Pixeld_

Poet
Also, in dry regions next to mountains that recibe more water its very common the use of structures called qanats, horizontal shafts that bring underground water to the surface to irrigate crops

I made a test for this a while ago. It's still somewhere on my plot explained with signs iirc.
They're also used to extract salt and brine from the soil

Last edited:

_Simbaa

Printmaker
I would like to express my concern about your Fig trees: using coco beans on trees conflicts with our current approach for fruit trees - leaves with 2D fruit textures.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I would like to express my concern about your Fig trees: using coco beans on trees conflicts with our current approach for fruit trees - leaves with 2D fruit textures.

Per our previous conversation in server chat when you asked me before, there is no feasible alternative for fig trees beyond asking for fig tree leaves sets to be added in half a year or more from now.

They are a good depiction of fig trees as it is and I don't see why we must follow this newly brought up standard of using dedicated leaf blocks to depict trees when we have multiple examples of tree schemsets using the blocks we have at hand to depict other tree species without dedicated leaf sets (flowering pear trees, tamarix, lilac and jacaranda come to mind). We use mismatched blocks to depict standins of other things we lack block of all the time (grape baskets for plum orchards come to, olive baskets for pease as well)

The cocoa bean trick is nothing new, its been used extensively for depicting squash plants, and the item itself has existed for years now. It doesnt even outdate any fig trees because for starters, there are quite literally zero instances of figs in any capacity on the production map.

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
Could you not use the pomegranate leaves to represent figs? They're probably closer in size than the cacao pods.