Thamus' Texture Treasure Trove

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Thanks for the Feedback Marge!

Can we have a changelog from the previous iteration? I think Im most excited about the ores

Also I think you should also add an overlay for scorched earth, fallen leaves, pine needles and ash blocks as well, since those would benefit a lot from a "scatter" effect

Changelog (from memory):
- Made overlays for all main and alt terrain sets. There is a hierarchy to the overlays, meaning that some override others. It is a branched order roughly visualizable like this: North> Iron Islands > Eastern Islands > Mountains of the Moon < Westerlands < Reach > Arbor/Dorne > Red Mountains < Stormlands. All of them overlay River and Ocean.
- Include the redstone block textures shown here.
- Made sure that the overlay works with all ores against all main and alt terrain sets.

Scorched earth, fallen leaves, pine needels, and ash will be on my list!

I did spot a small issue with plasters, theres a checkboard floor pattern in two rooms in Highgarden made from brown plaster and white plaster that ends up with this:

Hm. I gotta say, I don't understand what using plasters as a checkerboard pattern flooring represents, but a fix on my side could be to restrict the overlay to only the sides of the block. However, I'd like to urge whoever is in charge to reconsider that choice. I'm happy to create a properly tiled floor texture to replace the use of wall render material as flooring.

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'd like to make the suggestion that Oldtown brick and arbor light brick blend with arbor light stone similar to how reach brick blends with light stone. View attachment 5527
Can we wait with this until after Oldtown is build? The overlays are not standard to the texture pack of the server and I want to prevent gradients that look smooth to the builder but are in reality salt and pepper. A massive city build is hard enough without having to correct every other building because the builders are seeing something different than every guest does.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Adding to what Stoop said, I recommend not depending on the in-development features of the pack while building in general, since things that look good with it may not look good without it. Take the pack off when doing building, put it on while exploring.

All the terrainset-based overlay CTMs (including the ores, cushion moss, etc.) seem to be solidified now, and will be included into the official pack (hopefully soon). Other ones will need a bit more discussion, since I've seen some cases which they detract from so we'll need to figure out how we want to resolve those.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm going to post updates on my small-but-significant fixes endeavour here!
Next iteration of WesterosWild gives a taste of the 3D work I plan to do:

- The axe block is now a model and no longer a flat texture
- Wagon Wheel and Axle and Flat Wheel blocks are no longer flat nor clunky
- Removed all ambient occlusion from the flower models which should make them a lot brighter!
- Added 3D roper ladders and iron rungs. If you use this pack as an overlay to the regular pack both ladders will be broken by CTM applying to them incorrectly. I have a fix in the next update.
a0173c34dd.jpg

Attachments

• WesterosCraftWild.zip
    136.4 KB · Views: 9

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I tried something:

Changelog:
- Change red stained glass to be a prototype mud oven
- Change yellow stained glass to be a prototype brick oven with some ash inside (this will need more work)
- Change black (?) stained glass to be a prototype brick oven with fire inside (this will need more work)
ss+(2020-12-30+at+12.28.17).jpg

Attachments

• WesterosCraftWild.zip
    217 KB · Views: 7

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
I love that you are having a crack at improving our tool blocks, Tham, but is there a way that you can make it a little bit less noisy detail and closer to the current style of the tools?
I mean how the lines feel a bit more solid. I’m having difficulty describing this, sorry.
Also, I think that the axe could have a simpler head, just a single bit of metal for the axehead with a wooden haft through it, then a wedge inserted into the top of the haft so that it holds the metal axehead on.
The dagger is on point!

I absolutely love the ovens though! It would be such a cool thing for the server and would make using furnaces fun again in stone buildings, rather than doing the ash or ember block with an arrow slit.

I’m going to make a request here though. Tham, would you be able to make a bronze Thenn helmet?

I discussed this with Thamus, and the consensus was to create a texture that's the intermediate of all representations of our server, so for example the axe is meant to be able to represent a peasant wood cutting axe, a middle class wood worker's axe, a war axe, etc. Be as ambiguous and class/function shifting.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Absolutely true SseriousBusiness! Although, if I could I would prefer to end most ambiguity.

I think fundamentally, as a community we ought to agree on how to deal with the tradeoff between free choice and resolution.

It's possible to build a ton of unique plough designs in our pack but they will always look a bit clunky and at the same time doing this will imbue meaning into all blocks reinterpreted as plough-parts. Fence gates become handles (only when opened), iron bars become both share and mouldboard and the 1m wide wooden stair becomes a thin beam of less than 20cm. These interpretations add to a growing corpus of interpretation and meaning that essentially makes it difficult to ever change these blocks but we get a lot of freedom for designing our world.

We could also decide not to do that, and instead, add a specific 3D model of a plough (that we agree to be appropriate for the assumed period of time and level of technological advancement of Westeros). This would add yet another block towards the hard limit we have, and in consequence, mean that every farmer in Westeros would use that design*. This essentially limits the choices we get but it assigns a singular meaning to a given block and increases the resolution such that even the untrained eye can recognize what is depicted. It has some nice side-effects for me and Emote in that managing/ updating the resource pack becomes much easier as we can be sure not to "break" existing uses of the plough. And, should we ever get there makes it much easier to turn blocks into assets for a game that players can interact with.

1. We have construction blocks (stairs, walls, fences, slabs, full blocks, hoppers) that are essential components of larger structures and hyper-laden with meaning depending on the context.
2. Then we have blocks that have only a single unique recognized meaning (candle, bone, book, cleaver, bookshelves, beds, blood, horseshoe).
3. Lastly, we have a family of blocks that have a clear main interpretation but numerous side interpretations (vertical chain, horizontal rope, pulley, wheel)

So where do we draw the line? Are we ready to give up some choice to get a higher resolution? Should we strive to maintain choice by making everything somewhat interpretable (one could think of adding a modular blade block and a modular handle block to be combined at will)? How can we balance adding more distinct blocks with the hard limit we have? How do we deal with old structures and allowing the community to 'correct' interpretative uses once a distinct block has been added?

I can't answer that, but I'm in favor of defining a clear policy. Emotione11 and I have had some deep discussions about this and ultimately agreed that we'd have preferred to research and plan all requirements for the pack before adding things. The status quo is essentially the result of very organic, perhaps chaotic growth without a clear vision and our skill at the time being the primary limitation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
* Let's ignore for now that we could still have some local culture-specific color/material variants by means of biome-dependent CTM or that we could have a semi-random array of shapes that can appear when we place the block.

Last edited: