Models, Blocks and Blockstates

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
As of today I consider the holey wall model fixed. And I managed to test out a custom rungs block model with WesterosCraftBlocks. That means we're set for the 3D-ification of all our custom block models:
f1d7c49be9.png
https://puu.sh/zPXdo/cba0d9d612.png

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Dayum! Looks great. I think we need to adjust the textures on the walls to avoid that glitch though...

Also, does it work if it's connected to a full block on the side/on top as well?

Yeah it does but there is a catch, I‘m restricted by having to stick to the standards wall blockstates hence I cannot do advanced sensing of the surrounding blocks. The wall block connects to any hardcoded block up/down/nsuw of itself. Initially i wanted to make the wall block connect wholly to solid blocks and maintain the standard behaviour with other wall blocks but for this we‘ll have to ask Mike to add us a special „wall“ block that understands its surroundings.

And I guess when we have that we‘ll have to replace all wall blocks with it.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Sorry Emote, my kipkorn-addled mind wasn't able to communicate clearly:

With my progressed understanding of blockstates now I think I can confidently say that conditional block models can depend only on the blockstates that are hardcoded for each distinct block type: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Block_states

In short, the behaviour of how blocks like the fences or walls connect to others seems to be hardcoded, and thus immutable to the kind of manipulations that I've been doing. I wanted to implement a special wall block behaviour that permits differential models when the wall block connects to another wall or a solid standard block.

Here is a shitty drawing that outlines this differential concept. X = Another wall block, y = A solid block. This would add up to 10 distinct models that would be rotated based on a variable blockstate definition (just like it is currently the case)
f629d74021.png

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I'm silently screaming.

It's real, I've seen it.

Regarding blockstates and the current block usage et al, I think there are literally no blocks we haven't misused in one way or another, be it wheels on gables, "drying racks", flagons used as flagpoles or even handmirrors, flower pots as bowls, nets as windows, chains as solid iron, or anything else.

In my humble opinion we shouldn't look at what the blocks have been used for, but what they were intended to be used for, otherwise there would be no room to improve existing blocks at all.

On a different note, I'm pretty sure we haven't used the hanging meat/herb/food blocks outside of their intended purpose, so is there any chance we get some 3D dead chicken at some point?

Reactions: an_escaped_duck

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I never thought that making ladders slightly 3D would be such an aesthetic improvement...

And I don't think minor block changes like this should affect anything, even if ladders were used for other purposes.

Reactions: Wazgamer and EStoop

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
So you mean modifying roof stair/slab blocks, with the assumption that they're not used for anything other than roof tiles? Interesting idea, might lead to unaesthetic clashes in consistency with roof blocks which we can't remodel (wood for example), but could be interesting to try...

Reactions: Wazgamer
Yea I know it’s not practical, but I think slate of all blocks is almost exclusively used for a roofing material so it’d be the easiest to modify. Just curious how it might look.

Howy

Royal Messenger
Do not change the stairs. Beyond the fact they have indeed been used outside of slate roofs, it would be seriously jarring to the normal minecraft aesthetic. Conquest is a good example of not breaking the mc aesthetic with their wheels, etc. You will also have the issue that all our wood roofs will be in serious contrast to all our slate roofs (with flat slate roofs and stepped wood roofs around KL, etc).

If you really want to differentiate slate, at most I recommend making it so that it is made up of three 'steps' rather than the current two 'steps'. This would allow a smoother, 'less angular' transition on the eye while still ensuring that the block comes across as belonging to minecraft instead of roblox. It also wouldn't adversely affect any uses of the stair slate block beyond roofing.