Models, Blocks and Blockstates

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I wanted to start a thread to collect information on how modding/extending WesterosBlocks works and how to create new blocks for WesterosCraft.

Right now I'm just collecting various resources, which may later be compiled into a guide. I hope that @mikeprimm and @Emotione11 can pitch in on this :)

Resource Pack Management:
https://mcrpw.github.io/

Model Creation:
http://blockbench.net/

Block Creation Workflow for WesterosBlocks (Thanks to Mike for outlining the steps!!):
  1. Before you start, edit the <clientdir>/config/westerosblocks.cfg file - set 'blockDevMode' to true
  2. Extract the WesterosBlocks.jar mod as you would a .zip file
  3. Update the WesterosBlocks.json as usual
  4. Compress WesterosBlocks again (Important: Compress only the files inside the folder, not the folder itself), and rename the compressed folder to WesterosBlocks.jar
  5. Load the mod (whether client or server - server is probably faster, or client without our RP, which adds LOTS to the start time) - when it starts, it will create an 'assets' directory under <clientdir>/config/westerosblocks.
  6. Copy the contents of the assets directory into the corresponding resources in the mod - NOW the mod has the model JSON and other content to go with the blocks you defined in the westerosblocks.json (Important: you must add the new blockstate & model files individually, not just copy over the assets folder. If your OS has a "merge" function, you can do that as well)
  7. Re-compess the mod again (same as step 4). Restart using the mod with both the updated westerosblocks.json and updated assets/westerosblocks resources
  8. (note - the generated assets tree is something to add/update in the resources - don't delete the other assets that are already there....)
  9. The fastest way to do the loop would be to run a minimal server - just starting Forge 1.11.2 with our mod with the devmode is a whole lot faster than client startup
Common Pitfalls working with WB:
- Texture PNG filenames have to be all lower case!
- Re-compressing has to be done as ZIP (not RAR)! The ZIP can then simply be renamed to JAR and the mod is ready to be loaded again!

Block States:
https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Model
https://mcforge.readthedocs.io/en/latest/blockstates/states/

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Been playing around with this whole block models thing on the weekend.

It's pretty cool that it allows us to remodel blocks that have already been placed. If done right we could touch up the ints of old builds automatically.

Here's a possible remodeling of the flower pot:
d07dc829fb.jpg

Howy

Royal Messenger
I love this. Specific concern for your above suggestion Tham is that flower pots have actually been used as flower pots throughout WC, so the above model wouldn't work without making a lot of window sills become home to bottles and cups (with flowers levitating nearby).

I am however more than in favour for current blocks used around WC to be replaced by these 3d models. Especially food plates like the one in your screenshot :D

Reactions: Elduwin

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I love this. Specific concern for your above suggestion Tham is that flower pots have actually been used as flower pots throughout WC, so the above model wouldn't work without making a lot of window sills become home to bottles and cups (with flowers levitating nearby).

Couldn't we program it so that if the flower pot is under flowers, it will just stay a flower pot?

Reactions: Elduwin

Howy

Royal Messenger
Couldn't we program it so that if the flower pot is under flowers, it will just stay a flower pot?

It would only be possible if flower pots with flowers in them have a different blockstate id to those without. Might be possible, Emot/Tham might know more.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
flower pots have actually been used as flower pots throughout WC
You're right Howy, and they've been used as pails, and buckets and building components i.e. on top of chimneys.

Could one of you perhaps start a list of items that have one absolutely unique purpose only? Those are the ones I believe we can sensibly replace. I think I'm a little too out of touch to do that and I honestly don't have the time to. But I can make a new block model from time to time :)

And I think I'd like to float the idea of just starting a central, huge-ass list of new blocks and new textures that are needed, and I'll work on that slowly. This list will then be available when we hit 100% completion, and it'll be something to look forward too when we then start the updating process.

Reactions: Kor_Bro

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Chests? Have a couple idea for them, will get pics, tbh I’ve never really liked our standard chest texture.

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Also, perhaps we could make the broken sword texture so that when its up against another broken sword, it forms a new sword?
Please don't confuse texture work with block models. The above has nothing to do with what ought to be discussed in this thread, which is the shape of the block not its texture.

@Wazgamer Update to the glass flagon (untextured):

3b8ab68b37.jpg