Models, Blocks and Blockstates

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Can it be made more consistent so that there arent tiny babby bottles next ti HUEG THICC bottles
I'd personally prefer to remove the actual current flagon block altogether as it is grossly out of proportion. The actual glas bottles are a bit more to scale tbh.

But hey if we'd rather prefer to have comically oversized items I'm not gonna judge.

I suppose we could keep the massive flagon as a vase or something. Aaaactually if we had a custom flower pot block in westerosblocks you could place flowers in it :D

But that may be something for the farther future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wazgamer

Aslanio

Bard
They've been in circulation too long, people have come up with new creative uses for them and placed them in areas where they seem more proportional, I feel like updating certain blocks like flagons will look particularly odd in most cases, and not realistic.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Tbh I can’t think of how else they’ve been used, other than in the pyromanchers guild

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
@Aslanio Does have a good point tho. Flagons may have been placed with symmetry and proportion in mind and replacing them with assorted random bottles may not improve the look of some places.

We really need a more concerted, empirical effort at determining what exactly can still be altered and focus on that rather than guessing.

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
Tbh I think they key contender here would be plates, we could change them into more of a cutlery and table “furniture”

Wood = low class + middle class stuff aka simplistic
Pewter = high class + intricate

If someone has used plates as something not a plate ima kill them... I mean what

Reactions: Elduwin

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
I wanna pitch in, but after a quick read through I have no idea what's going on. Is there a new way to have blocks represent themselves if placed in a certain way, or are we just talking entirely new unique blocks here?

Waz I have used pewter plates in bathrooms as like a little mirror type thing :( sorry

And stoop, we are talking about updating the models for certain blocks, not creating new ones entirely.

Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I wanna pitch in, but after a quick read through I have no idea what's going on. Is there a new way to have blocks represent themselves if placed in a certain way, or are we just talking entirely new unique blocks here?

Okay, I’ll try to explain this.

Since 1.8 the way any block can be defined by the resource pack has changed.
So now it's possible to change the texture and the model of existing vanilla and modded blocks.

The new system now allows conditional, multi-state model-texture combinations. So what are our options?
- Remodel a block with a single new model i.e. make ladders 3D, or add depth to all of our oven blocks.
- Remodel a block with multiple new models i.e. make the flagon have several different models and corresponding textures that are chosen at random.
- Remodel a block with conditional models i.e. make the wall blocks use a solid block model when above or below and next to another wall block.
(not too sure about this one yet: - Remodel a block with a multi-component model i.e. remodel beds blocks to include a canopy (2*1 to 2*2). Or in other words, the model can leave the boundaries/ collision set by the block.

Last edited:
Was thinking, would it be possible to have bread and cake blocks have random variants? This way we could implement fancier pastries as well as more variety of bread for lower class houses. Could the same be done for herb blocks? It would go a long way in spicing up our kitchens

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Was thinking, would it be possible to have bread and cake blocks have random variants? This way we could implement fancier pastries as well as more variety of bread for lower class houses. Could the same be done for herb blocks? It would go a long way in spicing up our kitchens
Definitely possible, but I've come to the realization that implementing models that depict different objects on the same block will inevitably worsen the situation we already have where a single block has different meanings in the world. So those changes will be purely texture based.

Really, I've figured, its probs best that we make a make a complete overhaul separate to the production server, and add new blocks (!) for each distinctly new model. We can then port only those fixes that are purely cosmetic and don't threaten the meaning/ interpretation of the blocks we have... Sadly, as soon as we implement distinct changes, we will find ourselves in a situation where some people may prefer one look of the block over the others. :/

This whole block models thing is super exciting to me, and your ideas and feedback are incredibly valuable but I think this is the situation that you ought to keep in mind: Everything is possible if we postpone the implementation to a later date of completion, and in that case, I'd take off the gloves and go all out by redefining and adding to our choices comprehensively.

For now, these points are the only sensible options, I'm afraid:
1) Remodel a block with a single new model i.e. make ladders 3D, or add depth to all of our oven blocks.
2) Remodel a block with conditional models i.e. make the wall blocks use a solid block model when above or below and next to another wall block.

Fin

Playwright
All i have to say is conditional wall blocks hell yussssss

No but for real, if we can make wall blocks look effectively like a vertical slab, that would do so much for all these new builds using stacked wall blocks to smoothen vertical gradients (e.g. the crag).
Also, can anyone think of another use for stacked wall blocks besides for sloped walls?

Reactions: Emoticone11