Approved House Haigh by jMp007

jMp007

Bard
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 02.37.37.png Ok so, I've changed up the palette of the houses, but for the most part I believe that the daub and wattle can stay. It works within the surrounding builds since Keath uses it, but it also makes sense due to the abundance of wood and the river nearby for the production of daub and wattle.
Furthermore, I've added some more house tests to show the variation in the style. The real build will have many different plot layouts than the basic 5 by 7 obv so don't worry.

Reactions: IMajic

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
if you wanted to do so much daub, perhaps make a spot where the people particularly get their mud/materials for daub. would be a cool little detail imo

Reactions: Wazgamer

Wazgamer

Lord Paramount of The Riverlands
Pronouns
they/them
The daub looks alright i dont really have a problem with it, however wood/stone houses are used more extensively in the area so for the sake of blending the region together make sure to use some of them.

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Regarding the rest of the application i dont have much problem with the layout, however do you have the ability to make forests and fields yourself?

I just have to check the castle in game and we’ll be on our way to approving you

jMp007

Bard
I’d love to make a daub and wattle processing area somewhere in the build. I think either in the main village or somewhere along the river.
As for fields and forests, I feel like I could definitely still do fields but may need an extra helping hand for forests, just while I get back into the habit of doing them but ahould only be quick guidance that I need.

Reactions: Wazgamer

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Okay I'm not sure on castle. It seems extremely crampt and I feel like you haven't considered the necessary buildings that a castle needs to be functional.

The palette is good, and it has some nice depth. However I've pasted a list on your plot that shows a large list of which a castle should contain, you don't need it all, but just something for you to consider. I'd also like to see a detailed layout of the castle as it would be placed on the dynmap.

Thanks

EStoop

Knight of Fairmarket
Just a heads up that house Haigh is a knightly house, which makes it much more likely they own a towerhouse with the stellar function of giving them a defendable home. A small stable seems appropriate, but anything more than that seems like a stretch to me. About 90% of the medieval nobility in my area lived in towerhouses barely bigger than the standardised rowhouse I live in.

Wazgamer

Pronouns
they/them
Yeah i’d completely agree with stoop aswell a towerhouse would work nicely, just by the look of the layout on your plot it looked as if you were trying to go for a castle with squashed together walls.

Reactions: EStoop

jMp007

Bard
Sorry for the late reply, been a busy week with uni finishing up and other cool shit happening.

I've had a look at the surrounding castles, and while a few of them are towerhouses, they're not exclusively all built in that way. Erenford and Keath, the two closest projects, are castles in their own right and as such I don't think that it's all that farfetched to build something slightly bigger than a simple towerhouse. That being said, I can see how the castle is too big and as such I've reduced it to a simple keep, some stables and a wall surrounding it so that it's now slightly smaller than it's neighbour Erenford. Furthermore, I've made a more detailed 3D layout on my plot so you can get a better idea of how the castle will look.

Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 19.08.37.png Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 19.08.45.png

Reactions: DylanLovesYouJP

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I like the overall plans, Haigh looks like a nice bluecollar house, and you've done well to keep a consistent modesty to it. My main note is that the housing style has a predominance of the plain brown daub, which will affect how much builders can customise the look and distinctiveness of each house. Try to remedy this with the plot shapes (e.g. L, T and diagonal shapes) to avoid each hamlet looking like Lego Land.

Otherwise follow the rest of the advise in this thread and it's an Approved from me.