Completed Ghaston Grey by MDMeaux

mdmeaux

Envoy
What's the canon on the dornish fleet?
The closest we get to a description is in Daenerys 8 of ADWD, where it is said that "Sunspear has never been a sea power", after Nymeria burnt all her ships. I know this shows that the Dornish fleet isn't big, but it would surprise me if in the hundreds of years since then they didnt at least build a few ships to protect them by sea.

Enah

Skinchanger
Well, if it's jsut a rock, then the island should be much much smaller than we have it now, What is in our scale on the map as is, is just too large to be a rock, unless we're ok with it being about the size of Ayers Rock, lol

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

mdmeaux

Envoy
Well, if it's jsut a rock, then the island should be much much smaller than we have it now, What is in our scale on the map as is, is just too large to be a rock, unless we're ok with it being about the size of Ayers Rock, lol
I would definitely shrink the size of the island, to make it so that the castle essentially takes up the entire island. Here is a larger full size layout:

Luciano_I

Mummer
In the Rogue Prince, i think, or the PATQ, its mentioned that the dornish fleet participates in battles on the stepstones, with help from the free cities but still they seem to have some naval capabilities

Reactions: AerioOndos
In F&B there is a passage were the Velaryon fleet is passing Dorne and they get invited by the princess of dorne, since they didn’t have the naval power to stop them. Which sugests that there is a fleet but not that big. Their presence in the war of the free cities on the stepstones also implies they do have a fleet, because most of those battles were naval and the most likely parties they would rent ships from were oposition in that war.

mdmeaux

Envoy
So the full size layout on my plot has been updated slightly; the main keep has been altered slightly and I have done a couple of tests for the new palette. I would go with the palette with the Oldtown bricks and the bedrock as it looks a bit more washed out and bleak, but would be happy to go with either if need be. I would like to give a bit more verticality to the castle (and make it a bit more like Ischia), as per the green wool, although perhaps not quite as steep as that.

Reactions: CashBanks

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Hey, sorry, meant to reply to your last post, but it slipped my mind!

Anyways, I'm content with the direction you're going in now. Just don't skimp on making it worn and sunbleached; it's a rocky island in the middle of the sea and the corrosion on the castle should reflect that.

You have my approval, although I'd like to see a small section of the terra done before you finish doing the terra of the whole island, so I can get a better sense of what you're going for.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I approve as well. Like Emot said, really emphasize on the ''worn'' and ''sunbleached'' elements. There's a lot of potential here for a unique build :)

Back off Dragons, that Dornish Alacatraz approval was mine :p

Yes we could use an alternative jail to The Pit
I mean, great stuff, if LHT is all finished (I saw some ocean terra still needs to be done but not sure if it's part of the wider Shield Islands work?) then approved by me.

mdmeaux

Envoy
I have done the terra shape for the island, and a small test with palette, if you wanted to check @Emotione11. I think I would go with little to no greenery, aside from a few brownish shrubs, but I have also been considering making it greener, like Ischia. I think it would make the island more visually interesting as far as colour and contrast goes, but at the cost of taking away from the bleak, barren, rocky feel.

mdmeaux

Envoy
Just thought I should mention: I've been quite busy with school starting back up recently, hence the lack of much, if not any, progress in the last few weeks. Hopefully I can get back to this relatively soon.

mdmeaux

Envoy
I knew this project had been taking a while, but I didn't realise it's been in progress for over a year now. That said, I've now finished a first draft, if you will. I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with everything right now, but at the same time I'm not sure what to change, if anything, so if I could get some feedback on what I have so far that would be great. 2 things in particular that I would like feedback on are the warehouses between the outer yard and the docks, and little details I could add to the inner yards; I feel like they are quite sparse at the moment but I don't know if adding more to them would make them feel too cluttered.