Approved Bigglestone by Jakethesnake8_8

Rexstop15

Printmaker
Hi!, I'm applying for the Lannister War Camp outside of Bigglestone castle. Here I attach a layout (I hope the scale of the tents is correct) and the different tent styles. Also, I attach a little test for the ground to show that the land where the camp is was a field.

camp.jpg2022-09-26_20.47.54.png2022-09-26_20.47.42.png2022-09-26_20.58.04.png

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hi Rex, just some feedback for the moment. Currently your tents seem very clustered on your map, and it might have scaling issues in-game. I'd also recommend doing some less fancy tents. Not every soldier would have a colourful wool tent, most would just be some sort of animal hide I reckon. I'd like to see a diorama of a couple of tents with the ground mix and some detailing for the area so I can see what sort of vibe you plan to go for. I'd also like to see some weaponry (catapults etc) aimed at the castle to sell the 'beseiged' look.

Best of luck!

- Jake

Rexstop15

Printmaker
Hi Rex, just some feedback for the moment. Currently your tents seem very clustered on your map, and it might have scaling issues in-game. I'd also recommend doing some less fancy tents. Not every soldier would have a colourful wool tent, most would just be some sort of animal hide I reckon. I'd like to see a diorama of a couple of tents with the ground mix and some detailing for the area so I can see what sort of vibe you plan to go for. I'd also like to see some weaponry (catapults etc) aimed at the castle to sell the 'beseiged' look.

Best of luck!

- Jake
Sure! I'll post the changes as soon as I can.

Reactions: Jakethesnake8_8

IronGentleGiant

Playwright
I'd also like to see some weaponry (catapults etc) aimed at the castle to sell the 'beseiged' look.
Rex's War Camp:1664648759790.png

I've some suggestions for the war camp. I would suggest to the commander of this detachment (from the larger Lannister force at Harrenhal) that it be best not to position his main camp so close to the besieged castle and a bit farther back, closer to the creek or even on the other side of it. Unless he wants the enemies inside the Keep firing or throwing projectiles (flaming or not) down on his camp. If his main camp is across the creek, he should have a smaller amount of tents and makeshift guard posts near and around the Keep and next to the siege weapons (catapults/spitfires). The siege weapons should be positioned near the creek so as to be out of throwing or archery range of the keep and have earthworks, reinforced with watered-down fascines, in front of them. The earthworks would provide added protection against any projectiles that do happen to make it within range of the siege weapons. Also, the creek would provide water to put out any possible fire should a catapult/spitfire catch fire.

For this size a Keep you prolly just need 2 to 3 light to medium sized siege weapons which were assembled using either scrap wood from the burned village or wood from one of the forests or both. Depending on how much time has passed since the siege weapons were assembled you may need to increase or decrease the castles damage. The average siege crew could probably fire 5 to 10 projectiles (rocks, boulders, flaming boulders) every hour depending on the size and complexity of the weapon they're using. Though inaccurate compared to modern weaponry, a well placed projectile could do a lot of damage especially if its flaming.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
Also Either line up the tents to the main road and have a grid pattern based on that OR make them have their own grid pattern. It's easier to organise troops and know how many you have, easier to rally to defend a part of the camp and generally speeds up any task within the camp to have organised rows.
3 other things you should consider that are v necessary for any camp with this many men around are latrines, kitchen and baggage. Have a dedicated spot for latrines (makes sense that they'd dig their own because they're infamously a spot where people get killed unawares) downwind of the camp.
Second place you definitely need to have is a tent/area of tents specifically for the kitchen. This can be anywhere as long as its not near the latrines. Having it near the commander's tent isn't a bad idea either. A few low tents for the food supplies, a higher frame tent to shelter a cooking fire (think an English barbecue) and for meal preparation (table could be 'foraged') would be perfect. Maybe some animal skinning too.
Thirdly, you need your baggage train. As they aren't expecting organised attack, it'd make sense for the baggage train to be within the camp and protected by it as to deprive any wannabe guerrillas a chance to burn it down or steal from it. This baggage train should contain covered wagons and a few carts for transporting armour, weaponry and the tools to maintain them, food supplies and valuables (stolen or otherwise).
If they were expecting to be attacked by an organised force, the wagons might be positioned around the camp as a defensive wall.

Azulejo

Bloodmage
Staff member
Following the suggestions of Iron and Aeks something that could be considered (if Jake so desires, and whoever applies is willing to change their plans to suit it) is to move the camp a bit away from the castle. The siege weapons would have a bit more range and the tents wouldn't be as close to the castle's archers range, at least it would seem like it given how we scale distances. A suitable area could be some of the burned fields southeast of the current location. The ammount of work removed for housing this new location would be minor, I would like to think.​

2022-10-02.jpg

Also here are some nice images of medieval war camps, both illustrations of the time and reconstructions, showing many of the features one would need. Notice how far many of them are from the castle that's being besieged:

33d1d8411b39428ab24fb56be586b7ef.jpg
military-camps-mediaeval-circle-of-wagons-wood-engraving-from-mittelalterliches-DB68RA.jpgmaxresdefault.jpgfyzuxfyohlkjaipjvpbp.jpgdepositphotos_269897042-stock-photo-military-medieval-camp-with-tents (1).jpgf5ae633c07065996338036bc14b87589.jpgebb2e69a7cb621158d71ef5c8e700959.jpg#33.png40p.4ogq3j.940.jpg

Jakethesnake8_8

Firemage
Pronouns
he/him
Hey all, quick update from me! I've been plotting things around Bigglestone and Bigglestoneham1 has open plots. These houses are not burned down, but are untouched by Lannister advances as yet. I have also started work on sections of forest surrounding the completed or near-complete areas of Bigglestone. In the Westernmost section of the forest, I plan to lay out a mini for a Brotherhood Without Banners camp. They work in the interest of the Smallfolk in the Riverlands and could perhaps be sabotaging the Lannister war camp and disrupting supply lines. To that end, how can you all help with Bigglestone?

Well,

Plots
- /warp bigglestone
- /warp bigglestoneham1

Special Builds
- Various farmsteads around Bigglestone marked by the 'special' block. Plot shapes are done, they just need to be built and detailed. The plot shapes serve as a basic guide of what you can do with the space, so if you have any ideas that are outside the box, let me know and I'll try to accommodate them!
- 3 burned windmills near the castle. These are denoted by the 'special' block and three wool circles to the south of the Bigglestone keep.
- Outbuildings in the Bigglestone bailey!
- blacksmith
- carpenter
- buttery
- pantry
- stables
- Mill at /warp bigglestoneham1
- Canon warehouse at /warp bigglestoneham1

Minis
- Burned holdfast east of Bigglestone castle marked as a 'mini' on the dynamap
- Lannister war camp
- BWoB camp (stay tuned)

Special builds require a test on your plot which I will check and then approve. Mini's require my approval and an overseeing moderator's approval.