Where on the timeline is our server?

Hmmmm this is some good thinking. I've got another idea.

1618847277684.png

Yellow: God's Eye town
Black: Destroyed village
Pink: Fishing Village (where Gendry is captured)
Blue Line: Arya's journey from the God's Eye town to the Fishing Village
Green Line: Gregor's forces
White Line: Amory's forces

So here's the headcanon timeline for this:

Both Amory and Gregor set out from Harrenhal going south down the Kingsroad pillaging as they go.
While Amory is sacking Sow's Horn, Gregor heads west and reaches the bridge south of the God's Eye, and burns it after he crosses it into Chamber's lands, so that the people there can't escape across the river.
In the meantime, Yoren and Arya are moving north up the Hayford road to the God's Eye town, not realizing that Amory Lorch is only a few hours behind them.
The reason the God's Eye town is deserted when they get there is because Gregor only narrowly misses the town, and the townsfolk flee on the boats (presumably crossing the lake to somewhere safe).
Amory arrives and sacks the God's Eye town, planning to eventually follow the eastern shoreline north back to Harrenhal, pillaging as he goes.
In the meantime, Gregor is pillaging the lands across the river, planning to return to Harrenhal following the western shoreline.

This way, neither force has gone around the western part of the lake. It is likely that while Arya is in the God's Eye town, Gregor is in the destroyed village that Arya later sees as she is headed north along the western shore.

So, what does this mean for Chambers?

Gregor has probably been pillaging and burning the area for a few days at least. As our unofficial date is 3/3/299 and Arya is attacked at the God's Eye town on 2/28/299, it is likely that Arya is headed toward the fishing village where Gendry will eventually be captured, somewhere along the blue line on the above map.
Gregor is probably already at the village with his camp set up nearby. It would be up to Nicodemus to determine how much of the area has been sacked, bearing in mind that Arya says "Farms, villages, castles, septs, barns" had been burned. Could it be Gregor had sacked the castle of House Chambers or maybe she's just being hyperbolic?

StanateeManatee

Playwright
All very nice, but I feel everyone is putting too much emphasis on the "Island to the northwest". This girl has been running for her life after her rich and noble childhood has been thrown into chaos with the blaspheming and execution of her father. She's been living in ditches, foraging for food and avoiding bands of marauders, rapers and killers. With that in mind, it seems to me she might be a little turned around.
On the last point, its very reasonable to think she might be hyperbolic about the scope of destruction, she's ten years old and is seeing war for the first time (plus the above stresses). What ten year old isn't hyperbolic to begin with, let alone in such an awful setting?

All very nice, but I feel everyone is putting too much emphasis on the "Island to the northwest". This girl has been running for her life after her rich and noble childhood has been thrown into chaos with the blaspheming and execution of her father. She's been living in ditches, foraging for food and avoiding bands of marauders, rapers and killers. With that in mind, it seems to me she might be a little turned around.
On the last point, its very reasonable to think she might be hyperbolic about the scope of destruction, she's ten years old and is seeing war for the first time (plus the above stresses). What ten year old isn't hyperbolic to begin with, let alone in such an awful setting?

This is a valid argument, it's one I made myself early on in discussions. Briefly, for clarity's sake, she sees the island to the northeast, not the northwest.
I suggested her exaggerating the scope of the destruction for two reasons; one because the way it's written in the narrative first person lends a dramatic air, and two because there simply isn't enough space between the God's Eye town and the southwestern shore of the God's Eye on our map to cram all that stuff she sees in there, one village tops. It just doesn't work with our map scale. But, to address your first point...

I agree that she might be quite befuddled, but I don't think Arya is the kind of character that would be so traumatized that she loses her sense of direction for an extended period of time. Compasses and GPS aren't a thing (or at least aren't mentioned) so learning how to determine your orientation is a skill I should think most people learn in their childhood and becomes second nature. When Arya escapes Harrenhal (SoS, Ch. 3 Arya I) she proves her navigational competency even under challenging conditions:
“Do you know where we’re going?” Gendry asked her.
“North,” said Arya.
Hot Pie peered around uncertainly. “Which way is north?”
She used her cheese to point. “That way.”
“But there’s no sun. How do you know?”
“From the moss. See how it grows mostly on one side of the trees? That’s south.”

Which I think shows she's an able navigator. She's a competent character who excels under challenging circumstances which is proven time and time again in the series. To write her off as easily confused is a disservice.
In CoK Ch.19 Arya V she has an excellent vantage from her spot up in a tree and should have no trouble telling what direction she is looking in. If she was under duress or drunk maybe she might make a mistake, but she isn't either of those things. She also isn't speaking aloud so it isn't a kind of lingual slip-up or intentional deception.

But there is even more evidence.
In CoK Ch.26 Arya VI it reads:
Yet they walked all that day and most of the next before at last they reached the fringes of Lord Tywin’s army, encamped west of the castle
amidst the scorched remains of a town. Harrenhal was deceptive from afar, because it was so huge.

So, Tywin's army is encamped west of the castle. She sees the camp first, with Harrenhal in the distance. Meaning she is coming from the west side of the lake. We can't argue with that.

With the routes we've come up with, why does it matter which side it is anyway? All things being equal, the more likely solution is the right one. The only consequence of this decision is that the Chambers project has a burned village and the canon fishing village with Gregor and his men in it, which is something Nico has happily agreed to including in his application. It doesn't affect Willow Wood or any other existing project at all. The alternative would just be placing those things in another project on the other side of the lake for no reason. Unless there is some reason? I dunno, you tell me.

Another argument for the western path around the Godseye is that Yoren would have wanted to get off the Kingsroad as soon as possible to avoid Lions catching up with them. I think the best way to fit everything in would be to have a road winding along the western shore, rather than going straight from one point to the other. We can create a false sense of distance and use dense woods to cut off longer sightlines. This might be particularly helpful to block sight of one village from the next, etc. Additionally, the island if it isn't the Gods Eye, could be used to block the sight of Harrenhal from X locations so that it is only viewed from closer by.

Hugh_Stewart

Mummer
Just to append: Arya's route around the God's Eye was previously discussed on a thread which may not have survived the port to the new website, and the fishing village where Gendry was captured already exists on the west bank of the lake at /warp harbury. I'm pretty sure that it was built before Willow Wood and the lands of House Ryger, so these may need to be burnt to represent the destruction she witnessed on her journey.

Also, I don't know how much sense it makes to assign Hogg Hall to House Wode when there is already a House Hogg, one of whom is the Knight of Sow's Horn and a vassal to the Hayfords. This is in the Crownlands however, so there may be a separate branch of the family who have a minor holding in the riverlands. The Wodes control (IIRC) two motte-and-bailey castles near the kingsroad to the east of the God's Eye, both destroyed in the war -- but probably not until after the date the server is set.

Just to append: Arya's route around the God's Eye was previously discussed on a thread which may not have survived the port to the new website, and the fishing village where Gendry was captured already exists on the west bank of the lake at /warp harbury. I'm pretty sure that it was built before Willow Wood and the lands of House Ryger, so these may need to be burnt to represent the destruction she witnessed on her journey.

Also, I don't know how much sense it makes to assign Hogg Hall to House Wode when there is already a House Hogg, one of whom is the Knight of Sow's Horn and a vassal to the Hayfords. This is in the Crownlands however, so there may be a separate branch of the family who have a minor holding in the riverlands. The Wodes control (IIRC) two motte-and-bailey castles near the kingsroad to the east of the God's Eye, both destroyed in the war -- but probably not until after the date the server is set.
Hey thanks for your input! Here's my response:

Re: Harbury
Totally agreed, but I think everyone would like to avoid a situation where we have to alter an already completed build, especially when there is a workaround as outlined earlier in this thread.

Re: Hogg Hall
Your suggestion, which I have considered myself, is problematic because canon says House Hogg is in the Crownlands and Hogg Hall is in the Riverlands. Additionally, it doesn't make much sense for the Lannisters to be attacking a Crownlands house.

Hugh_Stewart

Mummer
Hey thanks for your input! Here's my response:

Re: Harbury
Totally agreed, but I think everyone would like to avoid a situation where we have to alter an already completed build, especially when there is a workaround as outlined earlier in this thread.

Re: Hogg Hall
Your suggestion, which I have considered myself, is problematic because canon says House Hogg is in the Crownlands and Hogg Hall is in the Riverlands. Additionally, it doesn't make much sense for the Lannisters to be attacking a Crownlands house.
Harbury: Oh absolutely, but building a second capture-village would necessitate altering an existing build -- Harbury -- anyway, since it would be odd to have two identical villages. The canon as to how it looks is quite specific; building a new version would require changing or removing the original. I'm not totally convinced that there's space to add 'septs, barns, castles' + a new Harbury between the God's Eye town and Willow Wood when Arya and Gendry travelled, I think, for a few nights between the two towns and were not far from Harrenhal when they were captured. The simplest solution might be to add very minimal damage to Willow Wood (or just leaving it, which no one will really mind) and adding a few burnt buildings in the area near the shore.

Hogg Hall: Hence my suggestion that Hogg Hall in the riverlands is just a cadet branch of House Hogg in a different area of Westeros. There is precedent for this: there is a House Kenning in the Iron Islands and another branch of House Kenning in the westerlands. Besides, even if you say it doesn't make sense for Lannisters to attack a house from the crownlands, they actually already did: Ser Amory tried to burn Sow's Horn during his raids. Although again there is an easier solution: the only reference to Hogg Hall is it being obliterated nearly two centuries before the server is set. Maybe it simply doesn't exist any more, and the homeless Hoggs resettled in the crownlands.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakethesnake8_8
I agree with Hugh Stewart on Hogg Hall here. It completely makes sense to me that the Hogg family, or at least a branch of it, settled closer to the capital after the war between the Faith and Maegor.
And the whole point was that Ser Amory was out of control and just burning, raping and pillaging because he enjoyed it and didn't care who by that point.

I like the idea that they re-settled. I'm sure a project application with any of these arguments, provided they are backed by direct quotes, could be approved.