Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
I was also a maniac and tried out snow covered Spruce leaves - I've got no idea how to change the better folliage leaves so it turned out a little weird, though it doesn't seem terrible to have a bit of green still in there.

View attachment 1926

View attachment 1927

View attachment 1928

Thinking about it more though, I'm not sure how even with biomes we'd be able to update existing spruce leaves in snowy areas, since if we tried to make it an Extreme Hills biome - every spruce tree in the north would be covered with snow. Either way it looks like we'd have to be changing some manually.

Unless we did some kind of North wide ~80,78 //replace 18 [snowleaves block] thing (and then replace any spruce leaves near snowleaves and repeat 20 times to account for thick leaves), I'm not sure how we'd do it.

I've been using the pre-existing biome for the far, far north which is tiaga. Which I believe hasn't been used anywhere else. If we used extreme hills, it would be very problematic for areas like White Harbour where its what I call the "Southern North" biome

Last edited:

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
I suppose this is the effect we’re going for.
I've been using the pre-existing biome for the far, far north which is tiaga. Which I believe hasn't been used anywhere else. If we used extreme hills, it would be very problematic for areas like White Harbour where its what I call "Southern North" bbiome

I know I used Extreme Hills at Wull for the brown leaf colouring, I'm not sure about the other recent builds in the snowy North, but I suppose changing them to Taiga where necessary would be doable if it meant getting the snowy leaf blocks.

Just a bit of quick feedback (will give it a more thorough look later), snow rarely 'hangs' through pine leaves like that. Or at least I've never noticed that it would. Afaik it just piles up on top.

Did you just recolor the spruce leaves to white and what I'm seeing is in fact BetterLeaves now?

Isn't the far north all Taiga?

I suppose something like this is the effect we're going for.

The icicles might not be too realistic, but given that right now the snow is only on the top of blocks, the icicles are used to add a bit more of snow/ice to the tree and offset the dark green.

I had to change both the leaves_spruce.png and leaves_spruce_opaque.png textures, and the mcpatcher pine.png colormap to get the white effect. Changing the leaves pngs changed the Better Foliage texture to the lighter green, but I'm not sure how to change the Better Foliage colormaps.

Can the Overlays you've been experimenting with extend to multiple blocks? As in could you add a snow overlay to spruce leaves that were 1-4 blocks away from a snow layer? Or do they have to be directly adjacent.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I know I used Extreme Hills at Wull for the brown leaf colouring, I'm not sure about the other recent builds in the snowy North, but I suppose changing them to Taiga where necessary would be doable if it meant getting the snowy leaf blocks.

Virtually all of the snowy North uses Taiga. The easiest way to go about this (least damage control) would be to change the spruce leaves in Taiga, and then introduce a new spruce block without the CTM to replace along the snow border.

Also, deciduous trees really shouldn't be used in areas far enough North/high enough elevation to have full snow cover (or should at least be completely bare if an area is far enough south/low altitude to have snowmelt during some seasons).

Can the Overlays you've been experimenting with extend to multiple blocks?

Don't believe so. Basically the overlay method allows you to define a border along where one type of block is adjacent to another type of block. You might be able to achieve something using overlay_vertical, depending on what specifically you're trying to do.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Also, deciduous trees really shouldn't be used in areas far enough North/high enough elevation to have full snow cover (or should at least be completely bare if an area is far enough south/low altitude to have snowmelt during some seasons).

Yeah it was limited use for some crops/animal feed.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them

Deciduous trees are canon in the northern mountain clan lands. The conifers were meant to be 'in the high mountains' while the lower hills were more deciduous. Also the trees that are mentioned as being in the wolfswood are mainly deciduous also whereas the current wolfswood is monoculture conifer. I think there might also be a mention of an oak beyond-the-wall. So they should be there.
But, continuing on your point, they should be leafless. I can update the deciduous forest/s in Norrey to be so but that will take time and possibly a lot of editing by hand.

Just to note something with Cash's snowy pine blocks, the reference images you put up have snow only on the top half of the branch while your block is completely encased, as if in ice.
If you could try an overlay that covers sides touching air with snow 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down the vertical side, it would look really good! I just don't know if that is possible.
Why I ask this is because if the snowy pine needles were tied to the Taiga biome, it would limit the use of pine needles in taiga to only those areas that had serious snowfall or hoarfrost.

Yeah it was limited use for some crops/animal feed.

What do you mean by this? that deciduous leaf blocks were used as crops/cattle feed?

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I can update the deciduous forest/s in Norrey to be so but that will take time and possibly a lot of editing by hand.

There are schemsets for leafless deciduous trees already (I forgot the names, but they should be on the wiki list). Perhaps we ought to have more leafless schemsets too, for diversity. Or for leafless bushes/scrub.

I’m not sure how large these forests are, but it might be worth using WE to create a wool block under each trunk currently, removing the trees, and then placing the leafless version of the tree on each wool block.

Reactions: AerioOndos

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
not too large but the biggest one might be 100x300 maybe and doesnt entirely fill that space as there are open areas and areas of just conifer

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Just to note something with Cash's snowy pine blocks, the reference images you put up have snow only on the top half of the branch while your block is completely encased, as if in ice.
If you could try an overlay that covers sides touching air with snow 1/2 or 2/3 of the way down the vertical side, it would look really good! I just don't know if that is possible.

I agree with Aerio here, and I think you may be able to achieve what he means and replace the broken BetterGrassAndLeaves additions by creating a custom block model for the spruce block and some regular CTM magic.

The custom block model is a regular cube with 6 sides (n,s,e,w,u,d) but in addition you draw two more flat faces twice the size vertically through the center of the block, i.e merge it with a cobbweb style block where each face is twice as large as our regular pack (i.e 64px instead of 32px). That way they stand out over the borders of the cuboid center emulating that bushy effect.

If you then use regular fixed CTM on the tiles of the cobbweb style faces you can get snow to pile ontop only in the tundra biome. The same logic can be used to draw side snow (1/2 or 1/3) down the sidea of the inner cuboid.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
BetterGrassAndLeaves is a mod and its functionality van be disabled ingame in the mod settings options. Takes a bit of digging but it is possible.

My tutorial on how to make custom block models and add them to our pack is somewhere on the forums and walks you through all the steps.

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Sounds good, my initial test was more just a proof of concept to see what spruce trees would look like if we had snow on the top and sides - the bottom being snowy white was just a product of me having no idea what I’m doing. I’m not wedded to any particular method or having snow on the bottom, just whatever’s most practical.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
@Thamus_Knoward While on the subject of retooling the stone/terrain textures you should REALLY give some review of our current ore block sets (gold, tin, coal, silver, copper, iron ores) and make them more realistic and stylistically pleasing

I'd like for example for coal to have some CTM capabilities that allow for coal seams or for gold ore to connect together into gold veins

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
@Thamus_Knoward While on the subject of retooling the stone/terrain textures you should REALLY give some review of our current ore block sets (gold, tin, coal, silver, copper, iron ores) and make them more realistic and stylistically pleasing

I'd like for example for coal to have some CTM capabilities that allow for coal seams or for gold ore to connect together into gold veins

Again, I'm not touching anything without examples from now on :3 Don't have time to research what it should look like these days.

There is definitely an improvement since I last checked. Could you make the westernlands tone a bit warmer and coarser textured?
I'm glad you like it. Sorry, I think its pretty solid the way it looks. If you wanna pitch alternatives feel free to give it a go! If the majority doesn't like it then I might be persuaded to spend more time on it, but yeh I'm on to new things now (scripts, overlay textures)

otty

Sorcerer
Pronouns
she/her
I have entire rooms of Highgarden and Bandallon built AROUND our paintings please let’s not change those lol

I never said we should change the paintings, I was simply implying that we should have accurate alternatives. Also I was clarifying and informing everyone that these paintings are not ideal for accuracy and were not very common to be present among the homes of the nobility. Throw them in castles for decor, it's not a big deal but if it's the accuracy you're seeking then oil paints on canvas is not it. That and I just wanted to see how the frescoes would look if someone took the time to play around with the idea.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
The addition of fresco blocks would be a net positive for the server and I want to propose three sets

Reach Fresco Block: this would match the Oldtown pallete in terms of back pallete material and would be comprised of Gardener scenes, tourneys, grapevines and shit.

Faith Fresco Block: This would match the vivid sandstone pallete in terms of back pallete material and could be used in westerlands/southern reach faith areas and would depict faith shit like the maiden knocking out a weirwood or something idk

Westerlands Fresco Block: This would match the lannisport pallete and would depict lions, hills, and Lannister kings and stuff.

Obvs the blocks should be CTM like the dornish mosaic blocks but we would need a talented artist to make up some concepts.

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
I have a request for some retextures not for adding new blocks

Would it be possible to turn these flowers:

gF1fBd2.png

Into more wildflower-y variants like we did for the Bog Asphodel and Alpine Sow-Thistle?

7d4z2h7.png

Im saying this because the bog asphodel and sow-thistle were really, really good for meadows and forests than the brighter more pronounced flowers out there, and the mini-flowers that are in the first pic are pretty ehhhh.

Profilman

Mummer
Would it be possible to add armorstands in all the different woodtypes? Can use armorstands to create small details.

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
for armourstands to work we would need good looking, accurate armour. Also, they are pretty niche. Most gear would be stored well, there's only a few of the wealthier castles that would have suits on display.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
We should avoid using armour stands for anything. They're entities rather than blocks, so they can act a bit wonky and cause lag in large quantities (so are paintings and item frames, but unfortunately those have already been used everywhere since we started the server).