Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Cash: Have you checked to see if changing the desert biome breaks any existing uses?

I've taken a look around at the existing builds in Dorne and by and large they only use Mushroom Island for grass (since Desert currently produces a darker green than Plains). I haven't seen it used deliberately for grass at all, just for making water brighter, which won't be affected). The only place it's used consistently is along the Worldpainter generated Greenblood, sprinkled along the banks.

Voila
Considering that the current Greenblood looks pretty gross with that dark wet sand anyway I think the lighter tone of the Desert 2.0 grass is an improvement.

I'll continue searching with the desert highlighted red to make sure Highgarden's not desert or something, in the meantime we could have a think about the best colour tones to go with.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I think this is the peak now:

Ocean Rock (with mussels on there):
edebe01a45.jpg

8daaebb383.jpg

Reach (adjusted to fit reach pink stone):
fd176188b1.jpg

adc9191719.jpg

Westerlands (adjusted to fit sandstone really well):
e4745dc66d.jpg

River Rock (finally you can distinguish between this and ocean rock.. please people, only use it for rivers, mkay?!)
d4f2041f6c.jpg

Bonus:
LAVA
307766b43a.jpg

Test, test ,test these please!

Attachments

• FullHouse.zip
    885.3 KB · Views: 15
I think the green ocean rocks (with mussels) contrast a bit too much but otherwise I like it alot! Maybe we could have an alternate stone subset "algae/moss stone" with 2 variants, one like you have, and one almost completely mossy, for use around the map. Having an alternate type like this would be really good for adding relief to forests/coastlines without looking out of place/random.

Reactions: SeapunkPeaches

Kor_Bro

Envoy
@Thamus_Knoward I absolutely love the work you've done on the terrainsets, it's been needed for so long (especially in for that god awful stormlands chocolate ice cream region, my god...).

One thing i noticed is how the terrainset blocks consist of a mix of clusterlike/rocky variants and then more smooth variants.
So a suggestion I have would be whether to not only have 1 terrainset block with the random pattern of all the variants, but to have two additional blocks, one consisting of the more rocky/cluster formation variants, and another block with the more smooth terrainset variants. So you'll end up with:
1 terrainset block, like we have now, but with the new texture.
1 terrainset block, but only using the rocky/ cluster formation variants of the above mentioned block.
1 terrainset block, but only using the more smooth rock variants from the first mentioned block.
- Basically splitting the first block up into two addition blocks.

This would allow for editors to create mountains, cliffs and rock formations with different patterns, like stratification, instead of having just one block in a random pattern everywhere.
Just an idea i thought i would throw out there, which could allow for more intricate and creative use of the terrainsets blocks.

SerLoras

Playwright
Maybe seeing it in game will change your mind.

It definitely looks nicer interspersed across a 3D shape instead of a flat grid, but it still seems somewhat inconsistent with the mossy textures we already have.

Also, maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but wouldn't the moss be more likely to cling to the cracks and crevices in the rock and not just sit as one big patch with no relation to the actual texture of the rock underneath it?

Like this for example. There can be big patches of moss, but the moss also tends to fill into the crevices that surround those patches.

RockMossy0040_3_download600.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
Thanks for the work so far btw Tham, loving the hustle and seeing people give their two cents, it'll be great to see it all finished.

I'm wondering if there's scope to add a little more variation in the brightness of the darker sets, particularly Stormlands. Up close the detail looks great, but from further back it seems to blend together and seems to be appear darker the current version. Making a few of the textures a little bit lighter might help?

Old

New

Attachments

• 2020-01-15_14.35.18.png
    2020-01-15_14.35.18.png
    321.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 2020-01-15_15.22.55.png
    2020-01-15_15.22.55.png
    302 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Thanks for the excellent feedback you guys and gals!! I really appreciate this! I'm super happy that I've managed to find a way that is easy to prototype yet still gives our natural blocks a more cohesive look!

River rock could just get a rename to 'wet rock' and be used everywhere where some light algae, darker colours or higher contrasts are needed. I haven't tried it but I think it works reasonably well with all the sets except Stormlands and North, but there, some Biome color overlay to darken it could work well.

Looking at the lava block really makes me want to see Dragonstone island re-painted (both in terms of texture and terraforming).

This would allow for editors to create mountains, cliffs and rock formations with different patterns, like stratification, instead of having just one block in a random pattern everywhere.
I'd love that, but that's up to Emote and the Mods (great band name imho)

The biggest feedback I have for the green ocean rocks with mussels is that we'd have to repaint pretty much the entire northern coastline, since its cliffs are done with ocean rock. The mussels go way too high up currently.
Quick fix on the side of implementation (Emote's domain) since you could set a Y-limit for the tiles that contain mussels and only draw non-mussel tiles from thereon.

Code:
# (Optional) Biome and height restrictions.
# Limit only to certain biomes or height ranges.
# The vanilla biome names are listed here: https://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Biome#Biome_IDs
# Biomes added by mods can also be used.
# The legacy properties "minHeight" and "maxHeight" are also recognized.
biomes=<biome list>
heights=<height ranges>

Also, maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but wouldn't the moss be more likely to cling to the cracks and crevices in the rock and not just sit as one big patch with no relation to the actual texture of the rock underneath it?

Seems to depend on the moss
Moss-Rock_Hero-1.jpg
Also, the amount can be reduced by setting weights on the implementation side.

Once Optifine is updated, I can revisit the terrain sets again and add stuff like erosion patterns that darken/ lighten the underlying textures following some rule (like the vertical darker streaks I had posted before). Distinct blocks for distinct effects, however, give us more control, which is something I'll leave you to discuss.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: thecoddfish

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I'm wondering if there's scope to add a little more variation in the brightness of the darker sets, particularly Stormlands. Up close the detail looks great, but from further back it seems to blend together and seems to be appear darker the current version. Making a few of the textures a little bit lighter might help?
I think I can do that easily, but I think I prefer what Kor suggested: Adding a few blocks to help with that consciously!

PS: The chocolate (and strawberry mountains, for that matter) in the south of Westeros also heavily suffer from being super vanilla world painter terraforming. They could benefit from striations with eastern islands terrainset in the jungle biome, pebble blocks, river rock terrainset, and generally, perhaps less standard mountain types (I have a feeling that all we do are pyramidal peaks, but what about mesa, cuesta, tower karst or hogback?)

Last edited:

SerLoras

Playwright
Seems to depend on the moss
Moss-Rock_Hero-1.jpg
Also, the amount can be reduced by setting weights on the implementation side.

I'll just add that it also seems to make a difference whether the moss is clinging to a horizontal versus a vertical surface. Anyways... I think I'll shut up about moss now. Everything else looks really amazing, Tham. I am super excited!

Personally, I would definitely vote for more homogeneous terrain sets. You can always mix the sets together if you need more variety, and variety that is added in deliberately will always look more natural than some automatic random mix.

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

AerioOndos

Donkey Lord
Staff member
Pronouns
they/them
perhaps less standard mountain types (I have a feeling that all we do are pyramidal peaks, but what about mesa, cuesta, tower karst or hogback?)

Tower karst could be used in a few locations that we know have more soluble rock. As the westerlands has a large amount of caves, doesn’t that mean it should logically have some tower karst landscapes? There might be a small sample already in Peckledon(warp Birdmancove on the dynmap) that is in the process of forming.

I’d enjoy doing an immersion build or two to fill in some of the gaps between projects in the westerlands with interesting geological formations.

Enah

Skinchanger
So obviously, this is just a suggestion. I just go off on Art History Tangents.

But currently, our paintings are very out of the era. Two paintins appears to be Jan Van Eycks, who is the believed inventor of our beloved oil paint. However, Jan Van Eyck is a solid Northern Renaissance painter, and Oil Paint furthermore makes his works unacceptable for the era. Some are also simply just enlarged images of illuminated manuscript illustrations. One even appear to be a Venetian genre scene, which I would pin to be during the popularity of the grand tour which was 17th century stuff. (We shouldn't even have genre scenes, period.)

Rather, wall hanging paintings in generall were pretty uncommon, unless on a small scale, until the introduction of oil paints. Wooden panels, using hide glue gessos and nailed in structures for altarpieces were more common, in addition to this Frescoes also were dominant, as they were cheap. So cheap in fact that the Vatican commissioned artists to paint faux marble in place of buying real marble. Many churches also did this, where their pillars would be 1/4-1/2 marble and the rest painted in.

Frescoes and altarpieces are unfortunately underrepresented on the server. And even more a shame, we have no guilded works! How dare we not represent the trendiest of trends during the Medieval times of Tempera (Egg yolk and pigment) and Gold guild altarpieces and panels?

Essentially, to be historically accurate and create some awesome new septs, new frescoes blocks/paintings (borderless) would be cool. If we were willing to add it, or in the least find some actual medieval images, which would, unfortunately, be all iconographic.

OR, for anyone tossing paintings around their castle, be warned ... you're probably wrong. Unless you're using tapestries or a small 1 by 1 ... eh.

I'm not a medieval expert, but I do know my Renaissance well, and so I know the "this was new at the time" information. And take note there is some overlap of the middle ages and the renaissance. And our server fluctuates in what we deam to be it's date. Some historians claim different dates for the end of each era and region, and Subject. So of course this is debatable. My preference is to claim anything after the late 14th-century is Renaissance, especially anything after the introduction of oil point and one-point perspective.

I would also be happy to provide an article on the process of frescoes from the Arriccio to Giornata. I've learned this process 3 times as it seems every art history professor is obsessed with it. It's actually weirdly complicated and multiple processes too that it we could represent.

TL;DR Our Paintings are Renaissance and inaccurate for most of the dark ages (in terms of art history) We need more frescoes, as we're lacking on that no matter what (a dominate medium for a large portion of history completely unrepresented) So I am proposing fresco blocks. I also would be happy to provide an article on frescoe's for on here or in the rookery :).
I have entire rooms of Highgarden and Bandallon built AROUND our paintings please let’s not change those lol

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

starcat98

Herald
I am by no means an expert, nor saying it is impossible, but I thought tower karst was much, much more common in tropical places? I feel like this would contradict our largely European influences for most of the regions. Just a thought.

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
When I get back from work today I'll try my hands at the new overlay CTM:

And these behaviors is what I had in mind, any further ideas?

Grass => Sand, Terrainsets, Dirt, Gravel, Construction Material
Sand => Terrainsets
Gravel => Dirt
Leaves => Logs, Construction Material (leaves)
Leaves => Dirt, Gravel, Terrainsets (roots)
Logs => Dirt, Gravel, Terrainsets (roots)
Muddy Snow => Terrainsets, Dirt, Gravel, Construction Material, Grass
Snow => Terrainsets, Dirt, Gravel, Construction Material, Grass, Leaves
Glass => Plasters (window sill)
Plasters => Plasters (White => Grey => Brown)?

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Well, people see if you like this. It's an overlay pack that adds overlay textures to blocks next to sand and dirt.

Overlay pack means you can simply use it ontop of your current resource pack like so:
945364ef7b.png

The effect is sublte, but powerful imho.
a1b400ad6f.jpg

104b86c286.jpg

e1a31620d2.jpg

3a44753166.jpg

Give me a yay or a nay to see if I should continue with this.

Attachments

• Overlay.zip
    187.3 KB · Views: 11

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Looks neat from the pictures! I'll check this out when I get a chance (along with the most recent terrainset stuff)

This won't be able to fully replace the new grassy/muddy sand blocks, since those also have an underlying transition texture, but can be used to make the border implementation less hacky.