Westeroscraft Texture Pack Megathread

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Those are definitely a step in the right direction. I think I like the sandstone-based terrainsets (stormlands, dorne, red mountains) a bit more than the limestone-based sets at the moment; I still feel the latter struggle a little bit from seeming stylistically inconsistent with the other blocks in the pack, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Also, I'd remove the top texture on the sandstone-based sets and just have the same texture on all faces. I get the intended purpose of the top texture, but it looks kind of strange and messy on slopes where you just have alternating flat/rocky textures.

• Love
Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

CashBanks

A Knight at the Opera
Staff member
To complicate things even more we should probably think about some updates to the biome grass shading, particularly for Dorne.

I've played with updating the Desert, Mushroom Island and Mega Taiga (currently unused)

General idea was to make Mushroom Island a little more muted, Desert should be a lot lighter/yellow and Mega Taiga could be a dark brown/gold (not too sure yet).

Dorne Inspiration Pics

Attachments

• 1578885405712.png
    1578885405712.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 4

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
So what features was I talking about in this post?

Well. The latest version of Optifine introduces a method called overlay (and its CTM, random, and fixed variants). Essentially these allow us to overlay a transparent or translucent tile onto any other block based on the existing CTM rules (dependent on neighboring block IDs, blockstates, biome, height, use of a specific tile).

Back in the day, we used to be able to achieve the same effect with MCPatcher's renderPass property, which was unfortunately never implemented in Optifine. This, in turn, broke a lot of cases where we used this. The elder folks among you may remember hoarfrost on the mance camp tent blocks, or animated waves across our oceans.

We can go way beyond that though, relatively easily:

Overlay 'streaks of water discoloring' onto our rock blocks, like here for the new Reach Terrainset:
76f7723c48.png

Or more advanced stuff like 'mixing' two bordering blocks:

I can think of a few uses for this. First of all, sand2grass and mud2grass overlays that free up two block IDs from the recently blocks of the same function. Leaf blocks and log blocks automatically add roots (of varying thickness) to the sides of grass, dirt, gravel, leaf, and pine needle blocks for embankments. Pretty much any block in the north can get some hoarfrost without us having to add a specific block for it; all blocks in Dorne could get some dust or sands speckled on them; Stormlands could get some moss. Water automatically adds slime, mold, algae to whatever it touches? Well, you get my gist ;)

Margaery_Tyrell

The Dark Lord Sauron
Im actually not too big a fan of mushroom island 2.0, it looks pretty bleak and grey for somewhere thats sunny and warm, especially since thats the biome coloring used in the more Mediterranean climate areas of Wyl, Starfall, Blackmont, High Hermitage, Yronwood, Cuy, Oldtown and the Arbor where lighter but still green grass is warranted.

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
Tham: Glad you were able to figure out the overlay! What method did you end up using? Or was that done using the custom client you used with more recent Optifine? Anyways, I’m a little worried that those types of details across the top will seem strange/repetitive when you have large quantities of terrainset used (for a mountain or something). I’d have to check it out in-game to see for sure, of course.

Cash: Have you checked to see if changing the desert biome breaks any existing uses?

Reactions: Margaery_Tyrell

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Or was that done using the custom client you used with more recent Optifine?

I’m using a custom build launcher with the most recent 1.11 version of Optifine, so the method is ‘overlay_random’ with vertical and regular random matchTile underneath. Works like a charm!

I’m not too concerned since I’m using a random overlay but only a test will show if it works.

I’m thinking of adding a larger overlay repeat on top of all that, but for now I’ve moved onto metamorphic rock (Northern, Eastern Islands, Iron Islands and Eyrie). See below soon (will edit this when I’m done)

Eyrie (With an early test for lichen growing over it):
ff07b2e71e.png

12ddd85601.png

East (with some early tests for a mossy variant):
474ff4d2ba.png

dccfb1c49c.png

Iron (with some early tests for a mossy variant):
b522a4a29f.png

d218837ec9.png

North:
f829601b9f.png

443968b33d.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Ric

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
I really gotta fix those mossy ones, if you have suggestions how to best do it pls shoot!

Also, here are the files to try this on our builds!

Attachments

• Metamorphic.zip
    421.2 KB · Views: 5

lemonbear

Nymeria
Staff member
Pronouns
she/her
I really like the base of the East terrain set. The depth and highlights are effective. I think you need to get the contrast of the other sets to make that one's contrast. Some of them, especially the Iron Islands one, look a bit metallic with how bright the highlight is.

Reactions: Thamus_Knoward

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
@lemonbear yeah I agree, the range from dark to light is too large with the Iron Islands and Northern set!

Worked on the moss some more and this is now where it's at! I will re-upload all the tiles again once I've collected some more feedback!
1934a8922a.png

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
I'd probably go with a more yellow-green hue for the lichen, it's a bit hard to tell what it's supposed to be currently.

Reactions: Iwan

Thamus_Knoward

Shadowbinder
Th
I'd probably go with a more yellow-green hue for the lichen, it's a bit hard to tell what it's supposed to be currently.
which one would you change? The orange one or the pale blue/green one?

Doesn’t really matter :D
This is the orange one: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caloplaca

And this is the other one (quite weak but there):https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physcia_caesia

I can make the last one more prominent and perhaps add some yellow variation to the former but I think its pretty spot on otherwise.

Last edited:

SerLoras

Playwright
I'm not wild about the moss. It looks really patchy because the moss can't continue across block lines. So it just looks like a bunch of individual moss patches laid out in a weird grid pattern.

Unfortunately, I can't really think of an easy way fix that. Maybe if it were more like smaller particles filling in small crevices like the current mossy textures? Or perhaps we need a separate moss block, like vines?

Emoticone11

The Dark Lord Sauron
Staff member
which one would you change? The orange one or the pale blue/green one?

The orange one. I didn’t actually notice the pale blue/green one at all. I had to squint a bit after I saw this post. My issue with the orange one isn’t that the color is off from the IRL equivalent, but rather that it’s a bit difficult to even tell what it’s supposed to be from small clusters of orange pixels. You can’t get the specific texture the IRL lichen has on such a small scale. Going with a more yellow-green type of lichen might make the inference more immediate (and would easily lend itself to the backup interpretation of “moss” if someone’s not very familiar with their lichens).